WRT23

Arrange rides with other members.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Boab

WRT23

Post by Boab »

Surprised there hasn't been a thread already! Who's going...?
Is it sad I've already started planning my route?
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
Bearbonesnorm

Re: WRT23

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Is it sad I've already started planning my route?
Yes :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
GoneCaving

Post by GoneCaving »

I'm certainly hoping to get over for this as my first BB event. Is there an example of the sort of data provided to the participants in prior years?
psling

Post by psling »

Boab wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:02 pm Is it sad I've already started planning my route?
Did you not start looking around and planning for this years route whilst riding last year's WRT? :grin: :smile:
GoneCaving wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:24 pm Is there an example of the sort of data provided to the participants in prior years?
It's literally just a list of Grid References. That's it really. Visit as many or as few, if any, that you wish! :cool:
More info here: https://www.bearbonesbikepacking.co.uk/ ... wrt-event/
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I've had a few requests for the seaside this year, so who knows but given my record of GR in the sea, then maybe it's too much of a gamble? :wink:
RIP

Post by RIP »

GoneCaving wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:24 pm I'm certainly hoping to get over for this as my first BB event. Is there an example of the sort of data provided to the participants in prior years?
It tends to consist of "well, erm, off you go then" followed by a slight shrug of the shoulders.

Whether you regard this as helping the situation, or indeed predicament, in which you will find yourself depends upon how you approach bikepacking, and possibly on how you approach life itself :smile: .
Last edited by RIP on Wed Feb 01, 2023 4:49 pm, edited 8 times in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
RIP

Post by RIP »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:44 pm I've had a few requests for the seaside this year, so who knows but given my record of GR in the sea, then maybe it's too much of a gamble? :wink:
Nothing wrong with a bit of a flutter now and then, so yes seaside please. If you actually base it round seaside I fully expect ALL the GRs to be offshore, with one rogue one inland somewhere.

Re the said gambling, I shall stake my whole ride this year on "red".
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

I'm in :-bd

But don't that that put you off
RIP

Post by RIP »

^ well that's all the prizes gone then :grin:

Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Is there an example of the sort of data provided to the participants in prior years?
As mentioned Duncan, you'll receive an email on April 1st (couldn't make it up could you) and amongst the details such as timings (always a bit rough mind), there'll be a list of GR and the OS maps on which they can be found. Some people will use these as the basis of their route and some will ignore them and base their route on the location of pubs, shops, cafes or something interesting they once read about or saw ont' telly :-bd
GoneCaving

Post by GoneCaving »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:44 pm I've had a few requests for the seaside this year, so who knows but given my record of GR in the sea, then maybe it's too much of a gamble? :wink:
Hmm, must make a note to bring a fat bike & water wings.
RIP wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:18 pm
GoneCaving wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:24 pm I'm certainly hoping to get over for this as my first BB event. Is there an example of the sort of data provided to the participants in prior years?
It tends to consist of "well, erm, off you go then" followed by a slight shrug of the shoulders.
Whether you regard this as helping the situation, or indeed predicament, that you will find yourself in depends upon how you approach bikepacking, and possibly on how you approach life itself :smile: .
Wouldn't be my normal approach, but hey, it sounds like a good learning experience!
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

In fairness that's only me giving the signal for lift off, where you ultimately go is entirely up to you. Some folk will have spent a month planning while others will not have given it a thought :wink:
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:13 pm Some folk will have spent a month planning while others will not have given it a thought :wink:
Yep, done both of these in the past, and lead groups around too.
This years route plan is already in the bag.
"Grid Reference's, who needs Grid Reference's"
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I've just tried to explain / describe the WRT to someone via email ... God, it sounds sh1t :wink:
RIP

Post by RIP »

JohnClimber wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:03 pm This years route plan is already in the bag.
Have you told the dog yet?

JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

RIP wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:14 pm
JohnClimber wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:03 pm This years route plan is already in the bag.
Have you told the dog yet?
Yep, just gotta start her training soon
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Anyone fancy a Friday 7pm meet up at The Wynnstay Arms in Llanbrynmair for an evening of talking bollox and drinking beer to start the WRT weekend off in the right frame of mind?
godivatrailrider

Post by godivatrailrider »

I'm in . Sorry.

Last year I had a route loosely (by loosely I mean I'd got the route and google mapped various possible wild camping locations, resupply points, pubs etc...) but then the GR's came out and I shelved the planned route and made a new one ....

I've dusted off the shelved route just on the off chance, but I'm sure I'll be creating a new in early April.
Boab

Post by Boab »

JohnClimber wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:40 pm Anyone fancy a Friday 7pm meet up at The Wynnstay Arms in Llanbrynmair for an evening of talking bollox and drinking beer to start the WRT weekend off in the right frame of mind?
I've got a room booked. Hopefully this year I wont be spending my time trying to setup a new cycle computer...
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
GoneCaving

Post by GoneCaving »

JohnClimber wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:40 pm Anyone fancy a Friday 7pm meet up at The Wynnstay Arms in Llanbrynmair for an evening of talking bollox and drinking beer to start the WRT weekend off in the right frame of mind?
Managed to book a room, so count me in!
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

For those who can't get a room and who have a campervan or your happy to kip in their cars there's a car park opposite the pub where we've slept out in before several times without problems.
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Boab wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:02 pm Is it sad I've already started planning my route?
Route and overnights sorted already, small gang of 3 riders and 2 dogs motivated.

Just got to get this little one used to her basket on the bike again

Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

That face is saying

" Please lord anything but the Lauf fork "
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Lazarus wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 4:36 pm That face is saying

You'll be glad to know I've gone back to latest Travers Prong forks on the 29er+ and Molly's bike now.

Too much speed wobble when fully loaded with winter gear with the original Lauf Carbonara forks on this winter, so time for a change.
RIP

Post by RIP »

JohnClimber wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 10:52 pm
Lazarus wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 4:36 pm That face is saying

You'll be glad to know I've gone back to latest Travers Prong forks on the 29er+ and Molly's bike now.
She's got her own bike? You do spoil that woman John :smile: