Bivvy a month 2023.

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

Re: Bivvy a month 2023.

Post by redefined_cycles »

RIP wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 5:43 pm ^ Aye.

Some would say February is the one that thins out the field, although personally it's been one of my favourite months in the past. Am even having my sleeping bags cleaned specially for the occasion this year.
Reg... I'm buying a 320g down jacket with 125g of 900 fill power. Just thought I'd share it as I always think of your Whisper jacket when I think down, weight and all that...
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

Think i'm gonna try & keep things rolling..
1/12
12/13

Nant Rhys with MTB Nut Nige & a sprinkling of other Boners :-bd
Ever Feel Like You're Being Orbited?!
Verena

Post by Verena »

RIP wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 5:43 pm ^ Aye.

Some would say February is the one that thins out the field, although personally it's been one of my favourite months in the past. Am even having my sleeping bags cleaned specially for the occasion this year.
So what's your February plan then Reg??
RIP

Post by RIP »

Oh dear. That's put me on the spot!

Well that ride of yours over The Gap looked pretty easy and straightforward in that weather so maybe I'll pop over. Nooo-o-o-o, I jest, that looked like a tough gig, fair play to you. How on earth you got up your lane without crampons, ice axe etc.....

February for Reginald is traditionally the Peak District so that might well be the option. My mojo is still not firing on all cylinders but certain conversations are taking place between himself and a very nice gentleman in NE Wales so we shall see. Been there (Peak not NE Wales)? Fancy an outing? Bit of a trot from your neck of the woods though?
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Raggedstone

Post by Raggedstone »

This month's Bam will have to be the night out on the Winter event I was hoping to get out on a slightly drier night but it's not going to happen . Psling and myself set off from the community centre and after a long uphill struggle we arrived at the café in Llanbrynmair ready for breakfast . Fully restored and away in the general direction of Lake Vyrnwy a strange thing happened the sun came out it was very welcome though short lived
ImagePXL_20230107_114224752.MP by Kevin Hawker, on Flickr
A good climb up through a forest followed by a nice decent out to the road to Llangadfan only one issue a raging torrent appeared in front of us so a reroute was required but all was well and we were soon sat in another café one of us showing more restraint than the other . I just about managed to get back on the bike Pete had a couple of potential bivvy spots in mind the first one would have been perfect if it been later than 3 o'clock it turned out that another couple of desperate characters spent the night there one of them a wannabe unicyclist :smile:
We followed a waymarked carriage driving route through the next forest and out to the shop below the dam where we got some food and the rain started with serious intent .The amount of water coming over the dam was amazing and very loud after riding around the Lake for a bit we found a reasonable bivvy spot and got set up in a dry moment not a lot of sleep due to rain and it was a long night .
ImagePXL_20230108_075056053 by Kevin Hawker, on Flickr
The only sun we saw all day
ImagePXL_20230108_073252257 by Kevin Hawker, on Flickr
After loads more rain and then snow we got to the top of Bwlch y Gross for what should have been an enjoyable descent but it was so cold we didn't want to go to quickly by the time we got to the garden centre café on the main road we were ready for some hot food while waiting we found out that it was their last day of trading and that the day before a group of cyclists had tried to persuade them that they should let them spend the night in their polytunnel !!
Full again and back via the path of least resistance for tea and cake .
1/12 for this year and 49th consecutive month
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Only a school night local one for me. I'd planned to go last Thursday but a last minute change of plans meant I needed to drive to work on the Friday so I had to put it back a week. This of course meant it was going to be so close to the end of the month that I'd be pretty much committed regardless of weather. As it was it turned out it was warmer than last week with an overnight low of 3 degrees. I had a spot in mind that I'd seen on a ride home in the week, but I'd failed to notice all the badger setts so had to find an alternative in the same woods.

Flat ground is hard to come by in these woods but I spotted a potential location right at the outskirts, there was a bank built up (ditch behind) and a flat area between that and the fields beyond. Added bonus that the bank meant once I was laid down I would be out of sight on the off chance any very early morning dog walkers came past. Reasonable night's sleep, firstly my pillow deflated (I assume a puncture) but I had my down jacket in the bivi bag in case I got cold so I just used that, secondly, my ribs are still sore from last weeks off on the ice on the ride home. Ralph was oblivious to my discomfort and slept through :lol:

All too soon it was 06:00 and the alarm was going off :roll:

Caramel latte (from a carton) whist packing up and soon on my way to work. Things got a bit spicy as I went through the Island Harbour Marina :lol:

That's the actual bus from the movie, I've no idea how it ended up as a B and B on the Island.

The remains of the Ryde Queen are still there as well

This was meant to have been cut up in 2017 but somehow survived that, but I'd say it's well past saving now, the centre section has collapsed completely. I'd guess that it's now so dangerous that the only way to break it up is with one of those tracked demolition machines with the large pincer thing on the boom. The issue will be there's very little access and the way it's most accessible is a tidal foreshore and deep mud. Probably now in the 'too difficult' box so will just be left for nature to dissolve it.

That's Jan done, 1/12 and 34 in a row.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Leerowe76

Post by Leerowe76 »

Jan BAM complete, travelling up just beyond Nercwys forest to Bryn Alyn to a quiet spot I've bivvi'd previously. About 13 ish miles out and the same back the following morning and the weather couldn't have been better 1 down 11 to go
Jan BAM.jpeg
Jan BAM.jpeg (18.84 KiB) Viewed 2811 times
Living On Dreams & Custard Creams
Leerowe76

Post by Leerowe76 »

Tried to keep things simple too by having tea at home before setting off and just taking a hot choccy before bed and a black coffee on waking :-bd

Jan BAM 2.jpeg
Jan BAM 2.jpeg (57.5 KiB) Viewed 2810 times
Leerowe76

Post by Leerowe76 »

Sorry for a few posts, haven't figured out how to all pics in the one post :lol: but was a tad misty to start off
Jan BAM 3.jpeg
Jan BAM 3.jpeg (53.35 KiB) Viewed 2806 times
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I'm a great fan of having dinner at home before a local bivi, less faff and you arrive at your bivi spot at bedtime.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Verena

Post by Verena »

sean_iow wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 6:47 pm I'm a great fan of having dinner at home before a local bivi, less faff and you arrive at your bivi spot at bedtime.
Same here, keep it simple, and late, especially in winter....it's a very long night otherwise...
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Friday night was pizza night at Bearlegged Towers. Full of funghi e prosciutto, I then hopped on a late train out to the Hope Valley, and found a suitable hill to perch on for the night. I'd got a tarp this time to guard against any unexpected snow showers (I'm looking at you, December!!!), and was rather glad of it keeping the breeze off as the temperature dropped to just above freezing.

In the morning, I woke properly at 7.30, packed up, and enjoyed a lovely singletrack descent down into the valley, then headed for the local early-opening tea rooms for coffee and a sausage sammich.

I then spent the rest of the day riding bikes with the Cotic gang. Pics here: https://www.instagram.com/p/Cn_nSQ2sFDG/

That's 50 months in a row now, which feels like a bit of a milestone. Glad I did it, as I was starting to feel a bit "Why the hell am I doing this arbitrary challenge?" Tune in next month to see if I carry on with it.

2023 BAM 1/12
2023 total bivvies 1
Current streak (months) 50
RIP

Post by RIP »

Nice one Legs, a good milestone indeed. Pop in to the Cheese for a swift half to celebrate?

'Course you'll carry on with it :smile: . 50? Pah, think how Frog n Reg feel, rapidly approaching our centuries. Why? Asking why is not part of the game :wink: .
Last edited by RIP on Sun Jan 29, 2023 2:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

KernowSteve

Post by KernowSteve »

Long time forum lurker, thought I'd get some more trips in this year. Normally a fair weather bikepacker/camper, but thought BAM would give me the incentive to get out more! Left it till the end of Jan to decide mind you so just a quick local trip out to Whitsand Bay in Cornwall. Checked out a good spot last weekend on a road ride, got back there last night to find farmer had been hedge flailing in the week!! With light fading and a chilly wind I settled on a less than perfect but good enough spot out of sight. Not exactly flat so woke up at 2 am having a fight with a bivvy bag, sleeping bag and mattress! Ended in a draw, so I just curled up in what was left and tried to keep warm and snooze on and off till a nice 6am breakfast. Back home for 8 am before the family were awake meant waking my Wife up as she had left her key in the front door, so mine wouldn't work from the outside!
Pleased to have ticked the first one of the list though, just going to plan some better ones for the rest of the year now.
Attachments
20230129_071238.jpg
20230129_071238.jpg (33.03 KiB) Viewed 2741 times
RIP

Post by RIP »

KernowSteve wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:57 am as she had left her key in the front door
Just her little joke :wink: . All Boners wives/hubbies do this :smile: .

Welcome t'club.

SR

Post by SR »

Made it out was a bit of effort, my father passed away earlier in January. But worth effort just a local one straight after food. Luckily had pre load bikes otherwise might not have made it out.
Attachments
P1290324.JPG
P1290324.JPG (120.79 KiB) Viewed 2716 times
Leerowe76

Post by Leerowe76 »

sean_iow wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 6:47 pm I'm a great fan of having dinner at home before a local bivi, less faff and you arrive at your bivi spot at bedtime.
Perfect for a local bivvy tbh :-bd
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

I was almost out as my sciatica and work commitments. But the sciatica has been less, 'worrying' today and work for tomorrow was cancelled/didn't come (it's a but complex). So I think I still be in for a chance if I set out tomorrow eve before midnight...
:smile:

Watcheth this spaceth...
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

Fingers crossed :-bd
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Also had time commitments and various other things but bike is loaded and I will get out on 31 st and be in the tent
comfortably before midnight.
Only short and local though but they al count.
JimmyG

Post by JimmyG »

It’s taken me a few days to get round to this but here goes... last Wednesday I headed off towards Pencaitland in East Lothian, to a patch of woodland I'd used last year. I remember thinking then that the area would be ideal for a bit of hammock camping and now was the perfect opportunity to try out my new DD Hammocks underquilt. This is a pretty bulky bit of kit and I’d actually bought it (along with a new DD 3m x 3m tarp) to use when backpacking rather than when on the bike. Anyway, I decided to christen both items by lugging them out there in a rucksack. The whole package was bulky but not outrageously heavy so not a real hardship.

ImageUntitled by Jimmy G, on Flickr

I arrived after dark but managed to identify a good pitch fairly easily. Later, after dinner and a hot drink, I was off to bed. The underquilt was very effective and, despite a chilly breeze, I was warm. Well, at least I was until the early hours when I got cold enough that I had to put on my down jacket and down boots. After that I slept well and didn’t wake up until after 8 a.m.

So that’s now 1/12 for this year, making 61 consecutive BAMs.
One day, you’ll wake up and there won't be any more time to do the thing you always wanted to do. Do it now. – Paolo Coelho
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

Cool, another hammock camp. I'm thinking to buy a proper under quilt for February, my normal down quilt as an under quilt just didn't work.

What DD hammock have you got? Mine DD hammock was too short for me, so I got a onewind 12' one which was ace, but maybe a bit too long :lol:
JimmyG

Post by JimmyG »

My hammock isn't actually a DD version, it's my old Army one. It served me very well in various jungles around the world and is still going strong. Although after the end cords got a bit worn, I cut them off and now use heavier duty nylon straps.

Sticking with the hammock theme, I recently bought an OEX Bush Pro with built-in bug net. I haven't used it yet but couldn't resist it at a bargain price - £70 down to £21... but Sold Out now it seems.

https://www.tiso.com/eatnc2ti0049/oex-b ... mock-khaki
Last edited by JimmyG on Tue Jan 31, 2023 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
One day, you’ll wake up and there won't be any more time to do the thing you always wanted to do. Do it now. – Paolo Coelho
Boab

Post by Boab »

After bailing last Thursday, after getting all ready, I bailed again on Sunday night. We'd hosted a Burn Supper for friends, so go to bed late on Sunday morning and I was far too tired to attempt sleeping in a ditch. That left last night, or tonight. After commenting to my wife how anxious I was feeling about it all, I knew that if I just got dressed and started riding, it would all be fine; and it was. As this was my first bivvy since August, I was unsure how my back would get on sleeping on the mat. I also realised it's my first proper winter bivvy, where I've not been in a bird hide, or in the garden with my large RAB bag (thanks lockdowns), so I took my PolarTec bag liner just in case I got cold; I got cold.

Rather than heading miles from the house, due to my worries, I stayed close to the village. Cycling for a couple of kilometres, I then jumped off the bike and yomped for a further kilometre, or so, along the edge of two fields, and into the bowls of an old chalk quarry. Rather than finding a nice flat bit of ground, it was infested with small dog rose and bramble bushes, with tussocks and holes everywhere. Rather than being able to duck completely out of sight, the only bit I could find to pitch the tent was only half obscured from the road, but it would've taken a very observant driver to have noticed me being here.

I settled down and read my book, while supping on a beer. Soon enough I started to loose focus on the pages, so had a wee and turned in. I was on my Exped DownMat Lite 5 M, wearing top and bottom KIPSTA base layer and under my Thermarest Vesper 32 UL Down Quilt; I was also wearing socks, thin gloves and an Endrua skull cap. I mention all of this, as while bits of me were warm, I felt like I was getting a draft along bits of the mat. This meant that as I tossed and turned, I started to get cold feet and then the negative thoughts about getting cold started.

So I went for another wee, jumped into my PolarTec liner, with the quilt on top of that. It felt like I didn't get any sleep, I nearly decided to just head home at one point, but I must have dropped off eventually. My watch alarm started buzzing at 06:00, so I shoved everything back into the rucsac I'd used and headed home. After holding my hands under the cold tap to warm them up, I made and drank a coffee, then headed back out for a short ride.

https://www.strava.com/activities/8480199912
2023: 1 / 12
Total: 29
Streak: 1
Last edited by Boab on Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Sounds like you had to fight a few demons there, fair play to you Bob.