One for Reg...

Arrange rides with other members.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

MuddyPete

One for Reg...

Post by MuddyPete »

...to while away the long winter evenings ensconced in the fire-side leather wing-back, planning escapades by the metronomic cadence of the long-case :wink: .

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-63742917
May you always have tail wind.
RIP

Re: One for Reg...

Post by RIP »

Ah well yes indeed!

If you remember a few years back I jumped off at Shippea Hill near Ely one evening, the least-used station at that time. Rode all round the fens with Siboy for a couple of days. And, yes, it absolutely bucketed down the whole time. Luckily we found a pig sty to kip in. I know I'm the Rain God but surely it never rains there. Of course, the irony is that Shippea 'Hill' is flat as a pancake and actually below sea level.

So this year's aim is Elton & Orston near Nottingham then. Some nice riding round there up on the Wolds.

Keen to alight at Sugar Loaf, on the Central Wales Line, as well sometime.

Then again that's too obvious. Maybe more original would be to get off at the most used station - London Waterloo - and bivvy there. That would certainly be a serious test of my 'hiding in plain sight' bivvy approach.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

Ah! I have cycled past Elston and Orston station and wondered about bivvying there previously.
If I choose to stop there hopefully there will be no engineering works like when I tried to kip at Bamford.
RIP

Post by RIP »

MuddyPete wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 7:01 pm fire-side leather wing-back, planning escapades by the metronomic cadence of the long-case :wink:
I didn't know you'd been in our parlour :-S
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

psling

Post by psling »

I bivvied at Munich Station once a long time ago (well, kipped on a bench in my sleeping bag!). Woke up with the bag covered in cockroaches :o :shock:
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
RIP

Post by RIP »

psling wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 5:32 pm I bivvied at Munich Station once a long time ago (well, kipped on a bench in my sleeping bag!). Woke up with the bag covered in cockroaches :o :shock:
Well at least that was breakfast sorted then :YMSICK:

Kipped on a luggage trolley on Bristol Temple Meads station many years ago. Not my comfiest night I freely admit. What were/are we like eh.
Last edited by RIP on Sun Nov 27, 2022 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MuddyPete

Post by MuddyPete »

RIP wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 3:04 pm
MuddyPete wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 7:01 pm fire-side leather wing-back, planning escapades by the metronomic cadence of the long-case :wink:
I didn't know you'd been in our parlour :-S
It was when we were comparing butlers....
MuddyPete

Post by MuddyPete »

psling wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 5:32 pm I bivvied at Munich Station once a long time ago (well, kipped on a bench in my sleeping bag!). Woke up with the bag covered in cockroaches :o :shock:
Preston station for me when I was 18, as I'd missed the last train to London and was waiting for the 04:00 sleeper from Scotland. The days of long benches you can stretch-out on are long gone :cry: .

-----------------

Christmas time many years ago a friend of mine, who I shall refer to as "Clive" (because that's his name) was working a week of 12-hour shifts in north London (07:00-1900). After one shift he went for a "quick" drink, but left the pub exceedingly refreshed several hours later, heading for St. Pancras station and the last local service to Bedford. Which he missed.

All was not lost though as there was a London-Derby express waiting to depart: first stop - Bedford :-bd .
Inevitably, he fell asleep on the train, waking cold, shivering and alone in the dark, many hours later, to discover the train had been shunted into in Derby carriage sidings.

Fortunately, that "last train of last night" became the "first train of the morning" and sped him smartly back to London where he arrived just in time to start his next 12-hour shift :lol: .
RIP

Post by RIP »

Sounds to me that he was a 'Boner, unwittingly without realising it :smile: . To Normals - lost; to him.... just... In Transit....