Scottish Winter Bivvy 10/12/22

Arrange rides with other members.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

thenorthwind

Scottish Winter Bivvy 10/12/22

Post by thenorthwind »

Don't fooled into thinking just because I've started a thread about this that I have any sort of plan :grin:

Seemed to be a few keen, and I believe Gelder Shiel was the suggestion?

Anyone got a plan for a ride in/out?

Let's have a show of hands.
RIP

Re: Scottish Winter Bivvy 10/12/22

Post by RIP »

(apologies for popping in, but seems a shame we've only got three (so far) this year; your SWB, Stu's Official WWB, and the rebellious SWWB. Must be other Boner enclaves? Peaks? Wessex? etc?)
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Me Dave
I think Jimmy mentioned the bothy behind Charlies place at Lock Muik rather than Gelder Shiel
But Gelder shiel works as well and is equally posh. I'll ruminate on some routes (which will work for both) but the Capel Mounth would seem appropriate under the circumstances...
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Not at all Reg. It does seem quite quiet on the WB front so far doesn't it.
RIP wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 7:25 pmPeaks
I thought you'd know better than this though :roll:

Ah, I'd mis-interpreted that as Gelder Shiel Phil but I didn't know about the one by Loch Muick. Happy with either.

I was looking at Glen Doll and Jock's road on the map, then over to the head of the loch, as a longer/higher option if conditions allow. Not researched yet, so don't know if it's a worthwhile ride/push, but I suspect you might? Then Capel Mounth as a shorter/lower return on Sunday.
RIP

Post by RIP »

thenorthwind wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:43 pm
Got a vague memory that Trep, Bear, and myself were the PWB last year :smile: .
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

RIP wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 10:12 pm
thenorthwind wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:43 pm
Got a vague memory that Trep, Bear, and myself were the PWB last year :smile: .
It was the Peaks I was taking exception to... just being a pendant :grin:
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

thenorthwind wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:43 pm I was looking at Glen Doll and Jock's road on the map, then over to the head of the loch, as a longer/higher option if conditions allow. Not researched yet, so don't know if it's a worthwhile ride/push, but I suspect you might? Then Capel Mounth as a shorter/lower return on Sunday.
Cue diabolical laughter...
The descent to Loch Callater is a solid scramble...down.
Bike is pointing back the way I've just come.
Up out of Glen Doll is actually good and from the coll there is a route up to Fafernie and Cairn an sagairt mhor then the descent to the Callater stables is rumoured to be a peach. But might be a bit much in December as it could be eyeball deep in snow :grin:
You could include the bothy in a long circuit from Pitlochry over a few nice routes I did a few years ago (and some of the stuff we did last year), coming back from Braemar via Glen Tilt. I'll plot some routes and work out some numbers.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

fatbikephil wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 10:44 pm Cue diabolical laughter...
I half-expected that sort of reaction :grin:

I didn't mean that far actually, just the top of Glen Doll and then turn right across to Bachnagairn and through Corrie Chash. Trying to avoid the highest ground, but it's not a very long route, especially to the loch rather than Gelder Shiel.

I like the idea of coming in from Pitlochry, it was my first thought (possibly continuing out to the coast for a full traverse) but it seems quite an ambitious and committing route for winter, particularly with a long drive either end for us.
JimmyG

Post by JimmyG »

I'm planning on being there, wherever is finally decided upon. However, for info Dave, I visited Glas-allt-Shiel bothy in the first week of May, on that month's BAM. I had a good look round but didn't stay, instead camping in the woods nearby. As Phil says, it's at the back of the Royal bothy at the northwest end of Loch Muick. Pretty roomy inside with a log fire, etc. Some pics below.

ImageUntitled by Jimmy G, on Flickr

ImageGlas-Allt-Shiel bothy by Jimmy G, on Flickr

One day, you’ll wake up and there won't be any more time to do the thing you always wanted to do. Do it now. – Paolo Coelho
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

RIP wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 7:25 pm Peaks?
And be... sociable?
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Looks good Jimmy, hopefully not too many others in given how good it is!
Looking like the three of us so far. A couple of pals were talking about coming along but will likely camp if they do.

Dave, I'm told the trail from Jocks road north east to Glen Esk and up and over to Corrie Chash does go with a couple of good descents (and climbs!) Seemingly its a popular descent after climbing up the double track out of Glen Muik.
JimmyG

Post by JimmyG »

Yes Phil. That’s always a risk right enough and I’ll bring a tarp, etc. just in case. At the very least we can enjoy a good catchup and the warmth of that fire before getting our heads down outside if it turns out to be busy.
One day, you’ll wake up and there won't be any more time to do the thing you always wanted to do. Do it now. – Paolo Coelho
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Looks cracking Jimmy. Fairly accessible too though, so definitely worth taking a shelter just in case.

My mate Morne is up for joining again. Clearly a slog in through half frozen slush in the dark and fog wasn't enough to put him off... Must try harder this year :lol:

Sounds good Phil.

My other thought was whether it was worth starting from Deeside (Braemar, maybe Invercauld Bridge). Glen Gelder is the only reasonably low level (<3,000ft> way in though. Early indications are for colder weather the first week of December, so could cause some problems.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Bikehike seems to be down again so I'll have to try and get the OS app to work.
In other news I did my back in the other week and it's being a bit persistent so I may have to opt for an easy route in. The track up from Invercauld is a good one all the way to the pass - the descent is rock-tastic!
oakesme

Post by oakesme »

I am hoping to be there too, only 1 day ride from my front door. Is it definitely at the Glas allt Sheil by Loch Muick?

Max
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Hi Max!
Yes definitely Glas Alt Shiel.

Dave, just been doing some route planning (OS App is a bit rubbish for this - no option to cut or join routes so I've ended up with three GPX's.) That circuit I mentioned starting from Pitlochry totals 187k which is mebbes a bit much for a dark, dank and damp December weekend. Plus the first bit includes some of the schlep that we did last year past Sarah's bothy..... You could miss this by using the road over from Pitlochry to Kirkmichael which is actually fairly pleasant despite being an A road (BA traffic as a rule) PM me an email address and I'll send gpx's.

Or start at Blair Atholl a hoof it up Glen Tilt to Braemar then over the bump to Loch Muik - about 75k or so. Back tracking this would be fine as the Glen Tilt descent is a peach. Benefit of this is that you can buy all of your 'supplies' at the Braemar Co-op

Extreme option is to start at Glenshee ski centre and go up Glas Maol then trace a route east ish over Cairn of Claise, Tolmount then the link I mentioned above. Might be a bit snowy though, although more likely slashing rain, gale force winds and zero visibility....
https://www.ski-glenshee.co.uk/Webcam

P
JimmyG

Post by JimmyG »

thenorthwind wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 6:28 pm My mate Morne is up for joining again. Clearly a slog in through half frozen slush in the dark and fog wasn't enough to put him off... Must try harder this year :lol:
:-bd

I'll be taking the simplest/easiest route in i.e. straight up the double track from Ballater direction. That's the same as I used last time and I'll bring in some wood/fire bricks and some liquid refreshment, of course. I'll probably aim to get there before dark to get the fire going, etc. ... and to repel any random non-SWB folk. Only joking with that that last bit, honest! :lol:
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

oakesme wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 3:57 pm I am hoping to be there too, only 1 day ride from my front door. Is it definitely at the Glas allt Sheil by Loch Muick?

Max

Sorry for the radio silence... keep looking at the map and then getting distracted by different options.

Agree Pitlochry is a bit much. Taking the road into Strathardle still leaves you with a fair few passes to get over - unless you go over Glas Maol, but we'd have to get very lucky with the conditions for that to be viable I think.

Glen Tilt seems a more realistic prospect, particularly if we can travel a bit lighter to resupply in Braemar like you say. It's still a fair trek from there though - 15 miles or so via Glen Gelder, or a bit shorter but considerably higher over Carn an t-Sagairt Mor. Still seems quite daunting, but maybe I'm just feeling unambitious at the moment.

I'll get Morne to have a look at this and see what he thinks. Would be nice to ride together, but of course if you end up wanting to do a bigger ride, don't be constrained by us.

Maybe Jimmy's got the right idea in heading straight in with no messing about :grin:
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Sent you the GPX's Dave.
My excuses are piling up - works xmas night out on the friday scuppers any chance of an early start on Saturday. Trains to Stonehaven are being considered as this would give a 65 mile road ride (including the 'slug road') in with some minor gravelation on the Deeside way. Ballater Co-op for supplies.
JimmyG

Post by JimmyG »

thenorthwind wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 2:36 pm Maybe Jimmy's got the right idea in heading straight in with no messing about :grin:
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Cheers for the routes Phil.
Just had a chat with Morne, and we decided we're pretty much of the same mind: not up for an epic ATM what with fitness, work and driving. We reckon Glen Clova/Glen Prosen is going to give us the best options... Ideally start nearer Cortachy and work our way up/between the glens, up Glen Doll and Jock's road, and down Corrie Chash to the bothy. If the weather's crap, we get there later, etc. worst case we can park at the top of Glen Clova, go over Capel Mounth and round the bottom of the loch, which is the lowest route. Or points in between.
Looking it forward to it :smile:
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

I'm heading that way for some hill walking later that week and noticed that Forestry Scotland are reporting Jock's Road as Closed. I'm guessing that's just officially to cover themselves for somebody being squashed by falling timber though???

"Mountain access routes update: Kilbo path is open, Corrie Fee Path is open, Dounalt Road is open (south side of upper White Water - this is an alternative for Jocks road, which remains closed).
Works to clear windblown trees from alongside the road to Bachnagairn at Moulzie are ongoing. This road is open but please take care when passing the worksite.
The Capel Road Track is blocked with trees at OS Grid Ref: NO 2841 7717. This may be bypassed by walking along the forest boundary wall between NO 2834 7763 to NO 2872 7771. Conditions on this alternative route are steep, rocky and rough underfoot."
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Interesting, thanks Andy. Could well be an issue. On last year's SWB (obviously much sooner after the storms) we came across some forestry areas that were definitely not passable in Strathardle. Will see if I can find out anything else.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Cheers Andy - so Jocks road is fine - just use the track on the south side of the river and cross the FB at the end of the forestry. The Capel Mount GR's are a bit confusing - I guess it's just a case of following your nose....
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Well I can't seem to get a bike booking on the aberdeen trains and a road ride now seems a bit lame given what the weather is looking like :-bd
So now thinking to ignore dodgy back and start from Glen shee ski centre, which will be a fat bike job.... May still take the easy option on Saturday so I can get supplies at Braemar or Ballater co-op but a high level route on Sunday is looking mighty tempting.