Things I learnt from my first ever gravel ride

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Rockbus

Things I learnt from my first ever gravel ride

Post by Rockbus »

I know it will be small fry compared to what others do on here but did my first ever little gravel adventure into the wilds of Birmingham!
Did my first ever little gravel bike adventure today into the wilds of Birmingham!

Really loved it and thought I’d share some of the things i learnt (and a few qs where could do with some help!)

https://strava.app.link/ZJZohQLh5ub

It’s great fun! I may sell my road bike (or at least I’ll be using it a lot less this winter!)

Need to learn to take my time and stop and smelll the roses(coffee) and not just get to end asap like on road ride

Also could do with knowing where some cafes are on route

Need to improve my Gravel bike skills…thought I’d be ok having riden road for ages and done a bit of mtb. But surprisingly butt clenching on very muddy small track near canal!!

Komoot is amazing! can’t believe how good for a free service. (Better when out of own town as then you don’t know if there are more direct routes you normally take)

Walkers and hikers were far friendlier than I expected.

Hard work pulling pedals up on flats when use to being clipped in (but also really nice not to have to keep clipping in and out all the time)

If I ever up on my own might end up living on a canal boat!

I need a bag I can put my jacket in but doesn’t get in way of bottle cages (any recommendations?)

Can anyone recommend a bike washer I can use with my van and quickly at home without hassle of getting karcher out)
RIP

Re: Things I learnt from my first ever gravel ride

Post by RIP »

Rockbus wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 3:19 pm Did my first ever little gravel bike adventure today into the wilds of Birmingham!
:-bd
It’s great fun! I may sell my road bike.
It certainly is. Don't sell the road bike - you can't have too many bikes.
Need to learn to take my time and stop and smelll the roses(coffee) and not just get to end asap like on road ride
Some would disagree but I reckon that's one of the main lessons. What's at the end after all? Extend the idea further - don't slavishly follow a pre-set route. Ask yourself "hmm, I wonder what that is over there?". Then go and have a look :smile: .
Also could do with knowing where some cafes are on route
Can't really fault you there TBH. Then again the ones you didn't know about can be a nice surprise.
Need to improve my Gravel bike skills…thought I’d be ok having riden road for ages and done a bit of mtb. But surprisingly butt clenching on very muddy small track near canal!!
Maybe consider a technical MTB course? Sounds daft but you'd learn a lot in a short space of time.
Komoot is amazing! can’t believe how good for a free service. (Better when out of own town as then you don’t know if there are more direct routes you normally take)
Electronics are much overrated. "Feel The Force" instead :smile: .
Walkers and hikers were far friendlier than I expected.
A friendly hello and stopping while they pass works wonders.
really nice not to have to keep clipping in and out all the time
Gave up with clips ages ago. I like to make it as easy as possible to stop and look at things.
If I ever up on my own might end up living on a canal boat
Roobell7 of this parish is yer man....
I need a bag I can put my jacket in but doesn’t get in way of bottle cages (any recommendations?)
I tuck mine under the top strap of my seatpack with my waterproof trousers. No seatpack? Time to get one :smile:
Can anyone recommend a bike washer I can use with my van and quickly at home without hassle of getting karcher out)
I try not to use vehicles when bikepacking but in the past I've taken one of those hand-pumped garden sprays with me (not the hand held ones! The big buggers). Got most of the crap off and didn't need a power source.

Anyway, welcome to the Dark Side.....
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Just use it as your winter bike, keep the road bike for summer :-bd

Mud is pretty technical stuff to ride, especially when you've got a cm or so over harder ground and there's a camber. Like anything it just takes practice.

Don't know if they are still available but we've a Dirtbuster pressure cleaner that runs off the old fag-lighter sockets you get in cars. Not super high pressure so doesn't damage any bearing seals and the container holds enough water to do a couple of bikes.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'm now hesitating with the 'Gravel? I'd rather put wasps up my bum' stickers.
May the bridges you burn light your way
RIP

Post by RIP »

Nah, crack on with them anyway. I'll take ten :smile: .
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

You could add an extra line - "I ride on 40mm tyres down slimy muddy / gnarly rocky trails"
For OP - keep at it. I usually find I end up trying to ride something totally inappropriate on the gravel bike just to link up a couple of good tracks - it's all part of the fun....
psling

Post by psling »

Just think, before Gravel Bikes (time for a filter Stu?) were 'invented', riders were racing around muddy fields on 31mm tyres! :wink:
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
Boab

Post by Boab »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 5:45 pm I'm now hesitating with the 'Gravel? I'd rather put wasps up my bum' stickers.
Oooo, I'll take a couple of sheets... 🤣
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
Rob S

Post by Rob S »

Most of my riding is more 'gravel' than mtb. It's just the nature of the terrain in the midlands. I just enjoy seeing a bit of nature, and exploring. That's a big part of it.

Glad to hear you enjoyed it anyway :-bd
trob6

Post by trob6 »

Well all very good I think, I'm not a gravelist myself but I ride with a load of them, bunch of weirdos in check shirts :grin:
We all ride the same trails anyway so ride whatever floats your boat I say.
You was only a few miles from my house on part of your route into town so if you want to hook up at some point.
I havnt ridden for a week now as I have the man flu, hoping to be fixed soon though and get out over Christmas as much as I can.
Tim.
What's the worst than can happen?
Rockbus

Post by Rockbus »

trob6 wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 5:44 pm You was only a few miles from my house on part of your route into town so if you want to hook up at some point.
I havnt ridden for a week now as I have the man flu, hoping to be fixed soon though and get out over Christmas as much as I can.
Tim.
Wasn’t wearing a check shirt on that occasion but I do frequently 🙄
Where abouts are you and I’ll give you a shout if plan to pass again
trob6

Post by trob6 »

Rockbus wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 7:42 pm
trob6 wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 5:44 pm You was only a few miles from my house on part of your route into town so if you want to hook up at some point.
Tim.
Wasn’t wearing a check shirt on that occasion but I do frequently 🙄
Where abouts are you and I’ll give you a shout if plan to pass again
I'm near Redditch.
What's the worst than can happen?