Cumbria - road biking options?

Questions and answers about routes.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

Cumbria - road biking options?

Post by redefined_cycles »

Hello all... My head gasket seems to have blown so I've sealed it with Steel Seal (or... Steal Seal) and now frantically trying to do enough shifts to have some money in the bank for if it fails fully. Things are currently looking good and I managed to drive to work (100 miles to Grasmere - like you do) at only 2 to 3000 revs.

Naturally I brought my bike but no bivvy gear. Am booked at a local hostel from tomorrow night (working Monday again) as getting one for tonight was very very expensive. I'm hoping to sleep in the car - after finish of work really late - and doing a good ride tomorrow. It'll fill the gap until when the hostel check-in opens.

So... I have a couple of questions pls. Firstly, if anyone can PM me a secret hideout of where might be a good spot to park withou council or other pests trying to usher me on. Secondly, I already have the Lakeland Loop in mind which goes up Hardknotts but will it fill an entire day. Plus, do I really want to attempt hardknotts again (answer might be a 'no' at the mo), so...without using the word Fred, can anyone suggest any other local loops worthy or riding but not enough to breaking my legs. Especially after a rough/tough night :lol:

Please.. Thanks...
whitestone

Re: Cumbria - road biking options?

Post by whitestone »

Where (roughly) in Cumbria do you need to find somewhere to doss down Shaf? It's a pretty big county and there's a big lump of hills in the middle so suggesting a spot might be on the wrong side of the county!

Other loops: Windermere; Kirkstone Pass; Ullswater; Pooley Bridge; Shap; Shap Fell; Kendal; Staveley; Windermere. A look at the map should show a few sections of minor roads to use but there's no real option between Troutbeck and Pooley Bridge though it will be quieter at this time of year. I'd avoid if it's windy as going over Shap Fell is very exposed.

You can put together some decent loops in the South Lakes without too much usage of the main roads - the one to avoid is the A590 between the M6 and Barrow.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

round elterwater - loads of quite places that way this for example - Assuming you are in Grasmere area

https://www.streetmap.co.uk/map/idld?x= ... 04860&lm=0

Google maps pic of the place - house near by but folk seem to wild camp there
https://www.google.com/maps/@54.4344733 ... 384!8i8192
redefined_cycles

Thanks Jon/Bob. Yes, I'm at Grasmere and seems Kirkstone Pass is closeby. Plus, The Struggle... In fact I think I might try and find the loop called that (The Struggle).

Sorted for parking btw :-bd as the nice lady who's called mum (of client) has a b&b that's closed and has offered up a room...

I said I only need a floor as I have my sleeping bag. She said, she'll make sure I've got a floor. Then the Butherly Tarp (I think that's what it's called) YHA for tomorrow post ride :smile:
redefined_cycles

Actually... just realised that The Struggle sporitive is another thing. But I'll incorporate The Struggle of the Lakes into my loop. Will share here in case anyone wishes to give it a once over :smile:
redefined_cycles

Right then... time for some feedback. This is what I did...

Firstly set my target time to depart at early morning prayers time. So like any self respecting mtber would do, I prayed my Fajar and then went back to sleep. Awoke at 0800 but needed more, so slept again :-bd

Had been trying to sort out the route prior and had a few in my Whoo app. But when I got round to adding em to the Wahoo, the route didn't come across!. Then I tried the other Wahoo and same thing. So just usedwhat was already in there. Opted for the Lakeland Loop. After getting to Keswick I realised I might risk making it back to the car (parked in a friendly B&B carpark so didn't wanna take me p) only after dark. Probably overthinking and might just be me and my hate for road biking.

Looked at the map a little and chose to instead go and check out Honister Pass and Something Hause.

Met some walker after having taken a slight wrong turn. They asked if I was going right to the top and I said yes I'm going to check the gradiwntof Honister. They let out a slight gasp (well,the lady did) and I bid my farewells. The climb only hit 14.5% so I'd obviously forked off early. Got to the cafe at the top after giving way to a few drivers who obviously thought it's shameful to try and walk these narrow, dangerous and winding roads.

Cooked my noodles as I obviously had no need for them to be waiting now. Original plan had been to have em at the top of Hardknotts. Thankfully that wasn't happening.

Met this guy, lets call him Jim. Jim obviously wanted something off of me and I was trying not to distrub anyones animal. But in the end after Jim had gone away and come back so many times, I wondered if Jim was a stray and was super hungry. So I thought of what's safest for his tummy and threw a Nairn oat biscuit (without seeds I think). He liked it and came back for more. Took almost the full pack of 6 (singles) until he was satisfied. After a while I saw his owners come out and I pretneded not to know Jim!

Then I checked the map and was decided that Honister and that other triple-double arrowed climb didn't need exploring today. Especially by me. So I tried and tried to find a route across the mountains/hills back down to nearer Grasmere. There was only rocky paths showing in the OS maps - well, I later discovered they were very very rocky.

Walked the main one towards Borrowdale to ensure I was still builidng character. Gave myself a good talking to myself and then turned back north to go back via the way I'd come. 40 miles and it was a wonderful day out. Especially since I arrived back at the car for 1700 and now at the (super cheap) hostel with a lovely (super expensive £2.95) ginger beer :cry:

Why not just walk the road and leave your expensive toycars somewhere at the bottom! All for a cuppa tea..

The first pic I took. Ain't she gorgeous Alhamdulillah (all praise God).

Thw wrong turn climb I took. Felt like a baby at the time but 14% isn't anything to be laughed at. Maybe that's why my legs are feeling it now :o

Thw view from the noodles-bench. What would Dave Andy and the roygh stuff fellows do. They'd go ride/walk it obviously. So I did :shock: like an idiot.

But there was 7% of it that was actually rideable and not worthy of just a DH bike. So not all bad.

Some bits were just too much gnarl and slippery... Embarrasing when people saw me with the road bike so I had to kinda joke it away... Didn't tell em too much that I was building character for Wales.

A few more pictures later and it was the last pic... Then I rode happily ever ever after (to the car).

Thanks again Bob/Jon.
Dean

Post by Dean »

redefined_cycles wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:04 pm Image
Some bits were just too much gnarl and slippery... Embarrasing when people saw me with the road bike so I had to kinda joke it away... Didn't tell em too much that I was building character for Wales.
That does look character building for rim brakes with 28mm tyres.
redefined_cycles

Indeed Dean... Just walking it with mtb-spd shoes was building enough. Will try not to ever attempt such a thing again.. and, the food news is that I think I might have managed to figure a nice mtb loop. Will enaure to being the mtb next time I come :cry:
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

So, what you did there Shaf, was turn too early and climb up to Watendlath - the setting of Hugh Walpole's 'Rogue Herries' (Herries Chronicles):

Herries was "A violent and impetuous man, a faithless husband and a capricious father. The Borrowdale valley (his home for 40 years) and his unrequited love for gypsy Mirabell Starr are the two forces which drive him"

I'm always on the look out for Mirabell when I go that way :grin:

That road climb and the bridleway you walked down are key sections of the infamous 'Borrowdale Bash" MTB classic. If you want to see how to ride it, FFwd to 46 secs into this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F94mFEHgYYM

I wouldn't try on a loaded road bike though - at least not when it's wet..... :lol:

That first pic you took is looking up St John's in the Vale, with Castle Rock of Triermain on the right - reputed to be Merlin's castle:
".....midmost of the vale, a mound arose, with airy turrets crown'd......and mighty keep and tower".

Riding out of Grasmere to get there you went over Dunmail Raise - site of the burial place of Dunmail, 'King' of ancient Reghed (the medieval kingdom, not the cinema and service station near Penrith.....).
redefined_cycles

boxelder wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 8:56 pm So, what you did there Shaf, was turn too early and climb up to Watendlath - the setting of Hugh Walpole's 'Rogue Herries' (Herries Chronicles):

Herries was "A violent and impetuous man, a faithless husband and a capricious father. The Borrowdale valley (his home for 40 years) and his unrequited love for gypsy Mirabell Starr are the two forces which drive him"

I'm always on the look out for Mirabell when I go that way :grin:

That road climb and the bridleway you walked down are key sections of the infamous 'Borrowdale Bash" MTB classic. If you want to see how to ride it, FFwd to 46 secs into this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F94mFEHgYYM

I wouldn't try on a loaded road bike though - at least not when it's wet..... :lol:

That first pic you took is looking up St John's in the Vale, with Castle Rock of Triermain on the right - reputed to be Merlin's castle:
".....midmost of the vale, a mound arose, with airy turrets crown'd......and mighty keep and tower".

Riding out of Grasmere to get there you went over Dunmail Raise - site of the burial place of Dunmail, 'King' of ancient Reghed (the medieval kingdom, not the cinema and service station near Penrith.....).
Thanks Boxelder (I forgot tour name again didn't I... shall I just call you Dave :lol: )... Yes, Borrowdale Bash. I think that was probably the prologue before I joined the forum and one of the only reasons why I was able to converse with the other walking chap. Did that in about 2010 I think and knew the Bash was around here somewhere.

Good insight into the hustory there man. Do you do an open top bus with talks? :grin: Next day was interesting up Wrynose then back via some more 'break ones face' trails. Was hary once again but not as bad as here... Like Arnold (or Arnie if preferred) said... "I'll be back" (inshaAllah)...