Bike shortage?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Mariner

Bike shortage?

Post by Mariner »

From todays financial round up:

The Times: Tandem, the Birmingham-based Aim minnow behind grand old names of British cycling such as Dawes and Falcon, has warned that shops are sitting on unsold bikes and that it is struggling to source cycles from abroad.

Three takeaways from this
1. sale time is coming.
2. that's tosh I thought it was parts and shipping that were holding things up?
3. the wrong type of bikes?
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
Shewie

Re: Bike shortage?

Post by Shewie »

I thought this was an interesting read yesterday, the other side of the pond but I guess the same applies ..

https://www.singletracks.com/mtb-gear/t ... -new-wave/
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

What I got from both articles is some shops bought bikes during the boom they cannot now shift as the demand is no longer there ( remember we look at stuff for keen cyclists and that demand will be relatively constant. i would assume that the boom led to new avid cyclists ( even if it was only a 1% of them ) hence our struggles/ parts shortages. I assume we can all go buy a BSO or tourer or tandem ( not looked ).
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I chatted to a couple of bike owners when researching for a magazine article I wrote last year. It was clear that some supply was still available even then, it just needed some careful investment and stock management - and a good relationship with the distributor. There was always going to be a number of folk rushing out to buy a bike - any bike - that would subsequently rot in a shed or appear on Facebook Marketplace/Gumtree. However, many of those "new" purchasers were also upgrading quite quickly, keeping the market ticking along at a nice mid-point.

It is also noticeable that some spares are very difficult to get here in the UK while still available in the EU, Rockshox being a good example. I don't know if that's incompetence on the part of the distributor or a result of Brexit.