Aero/Tri Bar Light Mounts

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

dlovett

Aero/Tri Bar Light Mounts

Post by dlovett »

As I like unusual things I added Aero/Tri bars to my Jones's earlier in the year. It turned an already great pair of bars into a brilliant set, as the Aero/Tri bars really help to gain a bit more speed. They have been working great with my Exposure Revo and Strada which are normally mounted in the centre of the Jones. However when you have a front bag things get a bit more complicated now as they stop you from using some kind of riser. After much search, I couldn't find a solution I liked so I thought I would design and build my own. Ideally it would mount the lights out of the way of both the bars and any bags. I realised that most of the time I don't hold the very end of the Aero/Tri bars so that is where I have mounted it. The mount is made to be a snug fit on the bars and the grips keep it in place. I made the mount surface flat so I could use various things on it and with my exposure lights, I made matching shims that fit on to it.

Does anybody have and suggestions or improvement ideas for it?

ImageUntitled by Duncan Lovett, on Flickr

lune ranger

Re: Aero/Tri Bar Light Mounts

Post by lune ranger »

Looks great Duncan.
What’s it like in use? I ask because I found when I mounted my lights in a similar fashion on tri bars - with a commercially available mounting arm - the light beam waggled about too much on tough ground. I guess it’s a result of the light being so high and forward and getting rattled. Any movement of the bike was exaggerated and the light beam flicked around annoyingly.
I overcame this by moving the mount to about the mid point of the extensions and running the light and bracket upside down (Revo Light). This reduced the amount of waggle and still cleared my bar roll giving a much more satisfactory solution.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
composite

Post by composite »

What's the mount (the red bit) that you have the Revo on?
Dyffers

Post by Dyffers »

Bracket looks good, but your pictures make me question your aerobar position.

You say you don't hold the ends do that's why you've put the bracket there, but surely that means the aerobars are too far forward? And why do you need the foam padding all the way down the bars, not just at the place(s) you out your hands?

I use aerobars on the long distance road bike and would have your bracket further back down the bars with hen set up fore/aft so that my hands are at the ends when on them. However, I appreciate with drop bars I don't have the Jones front loop in the way.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'm assuming that's the bracket that Duncan's made (3d printed?) Neil.

A question abour aerobars generally. I've tried them in the distant past but always felt the pads were too close together meaning I had to tuck my elbows right in to my sides. Yes, I appreciate that the position they encourage is 'aero' but it was very restrictive and not comfortable in the slightest. I tend to put it down to not having them far enough forward or / and perhaps having broad shoulders?
May the bridges you burn light your way
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

Yes it’s my own design and 3d printed. I tend to lean on the bars and sometimes have my arms across them. I also find the bars can get cold in winter which is why I have the padding on them. In terms of position, it just works for me like that. It’s the result of a few months of adjusting them until they were perfect. I also tend to lean forwards a lot to stretch my back every so often, so another reason they work like that. Plus I have the Jones’s to give me all their positions.
Last edited by dlovett on Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
composite

Post by composite »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:04 am
dlovett wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 1:24 pm Yes it’s my own design and 3d printed.
Ahh of course, sorry. It was quite late that I read the thread and tired head missed that sentence. :???:
jameso

Post by jameso »

Good work, looks ideal. The only thing I'd try out would be mounting the light underneath vs on top of the bar. I find a lower light position picks up irregularities in the ground better and also just keeps a heavier light's weight as low as poss, since it's already swinging about a long way from the steering axis. Minor stuff though.
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

No my Revo and Stradas have shaped light patterns so when they are mounted upside down, I don’t like the be spread they give. I have run an exposure upside down before and crazy I know, but I always felt uncomfortable about it coming off. As mentioned earlier, a go pro will be added on a lower fitting and that I prefer to be below the bars where possible.
Last edited by dlovett on Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Revo is symmetrical beam. As mentioned above I run mine upside down underneath tribars for the reasons Jameso states.
I was worried about it parting company with the bracket when I first did it but it’s stayed very solidly in place.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

lune ranger wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:43 pm Revo is symmetrical beam. As mentioned above I run mine upside down underneath tribars for the reasons Jameso states.
I was worried about it parting company with the bracket when I first did it but it’s stayed very solidly in place.
I should have said my Revo as I have changed the lense. And a go pro will be below.
Mythste

Post by Mythste »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:04 am

A question abour aerobars generally. I've tried them in the distant past but always felt the pads were too close together meaning I had to tuck my elbows right in to my sides. Yes, I appreciate that the position they encourage is 'aero' but it was very restrictive and not comfortable in the slightest. I tend to put it down to not having them far enough forward or / and perhaps having broad shoulders?
Having done quite a lot of research prior to purchasing the missiles there is massive variance between not just the “default” setting of each pair but also the adjustability. The reason I settled on the missiles was that the arm pads, the bar clamp, and the actual extensions are all independent of one an other (many of them the arm rest is part of the clamping component) which leads to increased adjustability. That being said, you pay for it - and the riser kit price was eye watering.

Thanks for the 3d printed insight, I do have access to a 3d printer so should the ordered not work as desired I may well give that a shot.

For anyone wondering I round the 6 pack below the bars on gravel and MTB and in fact find getting it off the mount the most taxing element. It ain’t going anywhere.