Bearbones towers by train

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

jaminb

Bearbones towers by train

Post by jaminb »

Is it possible? Easy ? I am assuming train to Caerwas and then an hour cycle on the road.

Do you need to book the bike on the train from Birmingham? Any ideas how to do this?

Thanks
Oli.vert

Re: Bearbones towers by train

Post by Oli.vert »

If your train is through Birminghan to a change at Shrewsbury (for instance) then you'll likely need a bike reservation to wherever teh change is. Supposedly the Wales trainline doesnt need booking so if your change is at B'ham then no, you shouldnt need a bike res. from there onwards.

Caersws is about the best place to ride from - there's a number of routes available but the nicest is the smaller road to Trefeglwys, then up (and it is up) to Staylittle.
Stumpym4

Post by Stumpym4 »

@ jaminb Is this required for the WRT ?? ..if so i can offer a lift as heading from Birmingham , although its looking like i may be doing the lite version wrt only now and heading back to brum on the sunday afternoon ...
If maybe a one way lift is ok then get in touch ?
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

It's a straight train through to caersws from Brum I normally get it from wolves ,you can't book your bike on it but never a problem ,you'd be best getting the 6ish train into caersws for 815 then it's about 1-1 1/2 hrs to Stu's on the road ,there are some quite hilly bits over staylittle bit it's a pleasant ride ,would offer you a lift or join vyou on the train but I've got my young fella coming with me this year ,just book it on line and get tickets sent to your phone from wolves it's normally about £20 return :-bd
RIP

Post by RIP »

Been doing this for yonks. It's a great way to get there - stare out the window, pick your nose, have a brew, chill etc. From Milton Keynes, I change at Brummie International, direct from there to Caersws or Machynlleth. I *always* reserve a bike place. It's 2 bikes per 2-coach train, 4 bikes per 4-coach train. Most are 4 coaches from Brum to Machynlleth then split for Aber and Pwllheli. If you manage to get yours on without a reservation, then two people come along WITH reservations then you can get unceremoniously booted off - I've seen it happen. If the guard's nice then you MAY be OK. On a bank holiday weekend? "Do you feel lucky, punk?" You can call Transport For Wales and they'll do the reservation. My local station does it for me. Dunno why I'm explaining all this here 'cos it then makes it harder for ME to book mine on!

As mentioned above, the ride from Caerwizz as I call it is superb. I'd take the back lane through Trewythen, rather than the "main" one, to Trefeglwys and Llawr-y-Glyn. Then indeed up that monster hill from Gwernafon to Staylittle, mildly amusing to do that non-stop. I did it in Jan for the Winter Event and saw less than 10 moving vehicles in the whole 14 miles. There's a (cheeky) water tap at Staylittle, and of course Staylittle Stores for supplies - a "must visit" (9-5.30 M-F, 9-12.30 Sat). I reckon a leisurely toddle to Stu's will take you 1.5 hours. Why rush it? If you wanted to do that you'd do a boring car journey instead... If you like a little more punishment, ride back from Mach over the infamous "mountain road" instead.......
Last edited by RIP on Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

It's just a little hill. That does remind me though, that I need to book my train.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Are folk aware that there are two hills out of Trefeg'? Both are worthy of the title hill but one is steeper than the other, albeit not quite as long.
May the bridges you burn light your way
middleagedmadness

Bearbonesnorm wrote:Are folk aware that there are two hills out of Trefeg'? Both are worthy of the title hill but one is steeper than the other, albeit not quite as long.
I only remember the b@stard hill as you cross the little bridge and then drop down to staylittle ,it maybe that that one has scarred me :lol:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

If you take the lane from Trefeg' and ride through Llawr-y-glyn and once past the Chapel on your right - take the 1st right rather than the 2nd, the climb is more gradual. However, I'm now wondering whether people are already doing that ... in which case carry on as you were :wink:
psling

Post by psling »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:If you take the lane from Trefeg' and ride through Llawr-y-glyn and once past the Chapel on your right - take the 1st right rather than the 2nd, the climb is more gradual. However, I'm now wondering whether people are already doing that ... in which case carry on as you were :wink:
Then you can always nip into the woods over the top of the hill and drop down to the road just below Pont Crugnant for tyhe more 'gravel' experience :cool:
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
RIP

Post by RIP »

oh dear, sounds like I'm going to have to try the 2nd one next time for completeness sake. 1st one's bad enough :smile:
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
jaminb

Post by jaminb »

thanks all - very useful. I am going to my local station today in the morning to see if I can book a bike.

I should have clarified this is for WRT - not just popping into bother Stu unannounced!
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

As we can see below - two possible lanes which will both lead to the same end point (green thing). I am now assuming that everyone (already) takes the first one but the pain involved on second is over much quicker :wink:

middleagedmadness

Yep I definitely took the first
jaminb

Post by jaminb »

I have my bike voucher to Caersws. The local ticket office was shut so I used this number ‭

0870 333 3555‬

Trainlines Indian call centre who helpfully checked that there was cycle availability on both trains before issuing a voucher code.

Having booked I now realise I want to be at The Star not BBT on Friday night. Does Caersws and the second turn still work?

Thanks
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Having booked I now realise I want to be at The Star not BBT on Friday night. Does Caersws and the second turn still work?
Yep - once you reach Staylittle the Star is only half a mile or so up the mountain road. You'll drop down to the 'main road' in Staylittle - turn right and ride for a mile or so. The third turning on your left will be signed - Machynlleth via narrow mountain road (there'll likely also be a sign telling you the road's shut due to snow but ignore that). Turn up there and the pub's on the right handside set back off the road.
middleagedmadness

Cheers for that number ,a damn site more helpful than the local ticket office :-bd