Shorts recommendations please

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

thenorthwind

Shorts recommendations please

Post by thenorthwind »

I'm looking to invest in some new shorts to protect my nether regions during long days on the bike. I prefer shorts over bibs, particularly for bikepacking, as changing is just that bit less faffy.

My current ones are fairly cheap Scott jobs, and I guess they've been alright but feel they could be more comfortable.

I've looked at some but there's a massive range of price and very little obvious difference. So how do I choose? Is there any sort of consensus on a particular brand/model? I'm willing to spend reasonable money if that's what's required, but unwilling to pay extra just to have a fashionable name on my arse.

Edit: should probably have been more explicit that I'm looking for padded "liner" shorts.
mechanicaldope

Re: Shorts recommendations please

Post by mechanicaldope »

My favourites are some Morvelo's quickly followed by Decathlon 900's. Budget end of the market though.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Well that's a consensus of one :grin:

That's my end of the market too.
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

mechanicaldope wrote:My favourites are some Morvelo's quickly followed by Decathlon 900's. Budget end of the market though.
I'll second that. I've got some 500's (orange pad) and 900's (blue pad) and find them both excellent. (I think that's the right numbers as I've cut all the labels off)
As an aside I also like their MTB shorts, the basic 500's are great when the weather gets really hot and the 900's otherwise, quite subdued compared to many others and definately good vfm.
Scud

Post by Scud »

i swear by Sportful Total Comfort bib shorts, i have always used them for rides that are going to go over 100 miles and for events like Torino-Nice.

I noted that you did not want bibs, but they seem to do them as a short as well (not cheap though)

https://www.bikeinn.com/bike/sportful-t ... lsrc=aw.ds

I have had a couple of pairs of the Endura more expensive actual shorts to wear under baggies and they have been very good too.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

If it helps balance it out, I don't wear padded shorts... My trips are generally up to 2 nights

I wear normal boxer shorts for the ride, but they are in the main made of synthetic material so breathe and dry pretty well - Under Armour Boxerjocks

Strangely I often wear bib tights/shorts for commuting to work but that's just because I don't want to cycle in wearing my work clothes

I think I have a very accomodating rear end - make of that what you will :grin:
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

If it helps balance it out, I don't wear padded shorts... My trips are generally up to 2 nights
I've often wondered about trying riding long distance without padding, perhaps getting some bamboo or silk (oo-er) boxers for this purpose. I haven't had the cojones, or in fact, culo to try it though.