Arkose vs Journeyman

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ootini

Arkose vs Journeyman

Post by ootini »

Really a simple, but complex question. I'm looking to pull the trigger on a new bike, and I'm looking for something to compliment my current KTM, which started life as a hardtail, but is now a rigid bikepacking specific iron horse. I would like something lighter, more "road-esque" with drop bars, but still with the ability to run relatively chunky tyres. If money were no object I'd be looking at a Hook EXT-C or Warbird, but unfortunately money is an object. With this in mind, after a fair bit of browsing the interwebs and reading reviews, I think I'm set on either a Salsa Journeyman, or the Pinnacle Arkose D3. Both seem to my inexperienced eye, to have similar - ish specs, not a huge amount in price difference, and as such, I can't make up my mind. I know the Arkose is well respected and well thought of on here, as are Salsa bikes from my understanding, although I've never seen one in the flesh. Saying that, I think the Journeyman is a better looking bike, not that it really matters I guess.

So, given the choice of the above, what would you go for?

p.s. if there's something vaguely exciting, that fits the requirements and I've missed it, please feel free to let me know.

Links:
https://www.evanscycles.com/pinnacle-ar ... e-EV339948

https://salsacycles.com/bikes/journeyma ... n_sora_700
Last edited by ootini on Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
ootini

Re: Arkose vs Journeyman

Post by ootini »

I'd be going for 700c variant for now.
FLV

Post by FLV »

Both likely very good bikes. Hydraulic discs on the Akrose would swing it that way for me.

I find cable disc brakes to be poor. (Mine trp spyres)
ootini

Post by ootini »

FLV wrote:Both likely very good bikes. Hydraulic discs on the Akrose would swing it that way for me.

I find cable disc brakes to be poor. (Mine trp spyres)
Yeah, the more I look I think the Arkose has better finishing kit all round. I'm swaying
FLV

Post by FLV »

10 mins poking around the internet, i cant see anything to beat that Akrose.

Found the Fairlight Secan which is lovely but its lots more money.
NorwayCalling

Post by NorwayCalling »

On the hydro v cable debate - you must also consider the hood shape is vastly different with a hydro set up (as you would expect). i did not think about this! Great stopping pwer etc... until I tried to live shimano hydro STI's and HATED THEM, just completely the wrong shape.

Try before you drop the cash!

As for the 2 bikes, do you want a "drop bar mountain bike" with up to 2 inch tires or a "modified - fatter tired - road bike" with 700x42 as a max ?
Mike

Post by Mike »

Big fan of the arkose here love mine, but im not keen on whatbthey have done to the frame on the new one looks abit gash i prefer the salsa ;)
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

You'd have to ride them both and decide if the Salsa name and 3 pack mounts on the fork are worth the sora vs 105 groupset. I got my Arkose a month or two before they announced the Journeyman and it's been great once I changed the stock tyres but the newer versions already have better tyres.
jameso

Post by jameso »

I would like something lighter, more "road-esque" with drop bars, but still with the ability to run relatively chunky tyres.
Try riding one or the other if you can, it may come down to the ride / handling feel you want. The Salsa is a longer wheelbase, stable steering geometry design while the Arkose has always been intended to feel good as an audax/endurance road bike on 28mm tyres, up to a bikepacker on 700x45 or 650x52mm ie I think it'd feel a bit more nimble. Neither is inherently better tbh, just different take on things.