10d sleeping bag fabric and a tent...

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

matt_outandabout

10d sleeping bag fabric and a tent...

Post by matt_outandabout »

Firstly, any experience of durability of a sleeping bag with 10denier fabric? I'm looking at a good one for my son, concerned about durability though.

Secondly, any lightish 2 man tent deals and recommendations? Same son, for use in the hills, on bikes and some general traveling next year. Ideally around £200/250.

Thanks in advance.
Bearbonesnorm

Re: 10d sleeping bag fabric and a tent...

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

10d can be surprisingly hardwearing depending on the fabric. I certainly wouldn't let it put me off.

Tents? Where do you start? Something like a Wild Country Helm 2 or Zephyros perhaps?
May the bridges you burn light your way
matt_outandabout

Tents - I'm eyeing up an MSR Elixir 2 at the moment.
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

matt_outandabout wrote:Tents - I'm eyeing up an MSR Elixir 2 at the moment.
They're bloody brilliant. I bought one for my son for his DofE and RAF Cadet outings and it's been perfect. He's used it 5 or 6 times now and loves it. No, it's not super light, but its bloody rugged, goes up in 60 seconds, and when you split it between the two of you it's about the best value two-person double wall won't break the bank durable and sizeable tent on the market right now ..... so says I.
I'm just going outside ...
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

I have two quilts in regular use, both with 7d nylon, one must have seen about 150 nights and there's absolutely no sign of use except from being a bit dirty and smelly (yet the down needed some care).

My most used winterbag is also completely made of 7d fabric and see loads of use bivying without any protection, sometimes this includes falling snow. Quite amazing how well it performs.

Same goes for two down jackets.

Snagging, pulling etc., no issues sofar.

The way 7d performs I'm sure you'll be happy with 10d, given it comes from a quality manufacturer.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Wild Country zephyros is a good shout. Pitches inner and outer together
matt_outandabout

After the issues with the WildCountry tents I ordered for the outdoor centre, I'm not touching them again unless I have to. 1/3 of them back under warranty, some straight out the bag. The WC attitude was poor.