Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ootini

Re: Article on Bikebiz.

Post by ootini »

poor show
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Amazing, the amount of intolerance on here. Never fails to impress me, especially when some then say stuff like 'I don't think we're an intolerant bunch'.
I can't speak for anyone else but it never fails to amaze me how apathetic and tolerant of lazy, inaccurate journalism some people can be. Yes, I am intolerant of crap like that ... nothing ever changes if everyone sits on the fence and says nothing :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

There's a difference between intolerance, indifference and disinterest.
psling

Post by psling »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: I can't speak for anyone else but it never fails to amaze me how apathetic and tolerant of lazy, inaccurate journalism some people can be.
Well, as someone who posted "by psling » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:30 pm
Well, I thought it was a fairly balanced article
"....

The thing is, everyone can read the same group of words differently. We see the bits we want to see, we overlook the bits we don't want to see. We each of us read with emphasis in different places, with our own sub-conscious punctuation inserted as we read. A lot of people have their own pre-conceived ideas and will dismiss an article accordingly without really 'reading' it. One persons lazy, inaccurate journalism can be another person's reasonable article!
Intolerance is not respecting that other people may think differently to ourselves. The world would be a poorer place if we all thought the same, acted the same, did exactly the same things. Diolch byth, nid ydym i gyd yr un fath :cool:
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Very true Peter - knowingly or not, we are all biased in one direction or another and I'm certainly no exception. It's probably fair to say that bikepacking is my life and my love which will influence my thinking but any article entitled, 'The rise of the bikepackers' should be much better. I couldn't help but think that in this instance 'bikepacking' was simply being whored-out.
psling

Post by psling »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: It's probably fair to say that bikepacking is my life and my love which will influence my thinking but any article entitled, 'The rise of the bikepackers' should be much better. I couldn't help but think that in this instance 'bikepacking' was simply being whored-out.
Yes, I know what you mean. In this instance though I think you have to consider where the article is - on BikeBiz. If it was somewhere aimed more at the great unwashed (us) I would probably interpret it differently; you called it lazy, I referred to it as thin on content - we're in agreement! If it wasn't on a trade forum I would have had a poorer opinion of it.
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
RIP

Post by RIP »

I don't think we're at the intolerance level just yet. Just a good honest feeling of superiority :grin:.

Nowt wrong with a bit of internet joshing so long as we don't insult or libel anybody. Is defending/publicising one's own eccentric little corner being intolerant? We're so wierd everyone treats us with a sort of amused/baffled tolerance anyway!
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:
Amazing, the amount of intolerance on here. Never fails to impress me, especially when some then say stuff like 'I don't think we're an intolerant bunch'.
I can't speak for anyone else but it never fails to amaze me how apathetic and tolerant of lazy, inaccurate journalism some people can be. Yes, I am intolerant of crap like that ... nothing ever changes if everyone sits on the fence and says nothing :wink:
This thread was only one of a few, where failing to see that we on here are just a part of a larger thing, that urged me to state that. Your answer proves my statement. Still, I've not read the piece and I don't think I have to, especially not after a few beers too many and smoking weed, just prior to riding a penny farthing back home in the dark, on frozen tracks...
But, we are an intolerant bunch.
techno

Post by techno »

Intolerant of bullshit and posers.
Accepting of difference an weirdness.
Just like my favourite people in all circles.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Alpinum wrote: But, we are an intolerant bunch.
Well, speak for yourself. I don't feel I have to read, or agree with, everything I read about bikepacking. I'm not into racing in any format so I skipped the article. I didn't criticise anyone. That isn't intolerance.
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

The internet strips all nuance from conversation so for some comments you can either imagine the scorn dripping off every word or the raised eyebrow and askance look of wry bemusement. Same words, different tone. Is bikepacking a niche intersection of bike and luggage or is it a big umbrella term for attaching stuff to a bike and riding? The industry is leaning towards the latter
RIP

Post by RIP »

I wonder if it's intolerant to be intolerant of intolerance? :lol:

And Paul's right of course, the ' :wink: ' is worn out on my 'keyboard'.

Not really worth two pandas but let's nip it in the bud eh...

161230120612-04-pan-pan-china-panda-exlarge-169
Last edited by RIP on Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Is bikepacking a niche intersection of bike and luggage or is it a big umbrella term for attaching stuff to a bike and riding? The industry is leaning towards the latter
Of course they are. :wink: Adventure / Gravel / Similar sound much less threatening. Aligning your company with those terms will produce far greater sales. Has no one noticed that most bike companies* seem to actively steer away from labelling anything as 'bikepacking'?

*Remember, I said bike companies, not outdoor or other.
psling

Post by psling »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Adventure / Gravel / Similar sound much less threatening. Aligning your company with those terms will produce far greater sales. Has no one noticed that most bike companies* seem to actively steer away from labelling anything as 'bikepacking'?

*Remember, I said bike companies, not outdoor or other.
Companies recognising a marketing opportunity: Hardtail + extra bottle bosses = bikepacking bike; tent + short pole sections & helmet holder = bikepacking tent.; etc..
However, companies that have entered the soft bag market will have done their research. They see an affluent market - likely older with more disposable income and aspirational dreams of adventure - like Stu says, the gravel and adventure bike riders. But they also see a larger market - the commuter, the modern cycle-tourer, the audaxer, the day-to-day rider; the cycle as a means of transport, not just leisure pursuits. Without that larger group of potential buyers I would suggest the market is already saturated with choice and is unlikely to grow at a commercially viable pace. We shall see.
For the outdoor clothing, cooking and sleeping companies it's much easier: they just add "bikepacking" to their list of uses for existing kit along with backpacking, hiking, running, climbing, bouldering, etc..