Hidden Wales BBC4

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

psling

Hidden Wales BBC4

Post by psling »

Anyone else catch this programme https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0bsrhh2?

Just watched it, fascinating insight into some of the hidden places and secrets of North Wales if you enjoy a bit of history.
Mid Wales next week...
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
JohnClimber

Re: Hidden Wales BBC4

Post by JohnClimber »

It was really good, that sub was something else wasn't it?
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Good that. Honest straightforward presenting rather than introducing false jeopardy or drama. The castle folly overlooks the A55 before you get to Colwyn Bay, far bigger than I thought.

I didn't realise the Cwmorthin mine went so deep. There's a few slate mines around Blaenau, they seemed to prefer mines to quarries in that area. The Manod mine where they stored the national art collection during the war is only a couple of km to the east from Cwmorthin. Next to Cwmorthin are two mines on either side of a mountain that link underground, the owners of each mine realised that they were close and that joining them would give an escape route should either entrance collapse. It's now one of the classic mine exploration trips, search for Croesor-Rhosydd.

The old lady looking after Plas Teg is completely barmy!
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
ton

Post by ton »

ridden up through the Manod mines to the old miners village at the top, then down into the mtb trails at penmachno.
good it is too.

programme was good too.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Best thing on terrestrial tv for ages.
darbeze

Post by darbeze »

Enjoyed that, and learned lots too...

Si
psling

Post by psling »

Looking forward to what next week's episode reveals now :cool:
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

There are some rare occasions when I wish I had a TV or at least a licence ... never mind.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

johnnystorm wrote:Best thing on terrestrial tv for ages.
It better be on iplayer! :lol:
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Zippy wrote:
johnnystorm wrote:Best thing on terrestrial tv for ages.
It better be on iplayer! :lol:
Yeah, that's how I watched it on the turbo earlier! :lol:

I meant not Netflix/Prime Video.
psling

Post by psling »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:There are some rare occasions when I wish I had a TV or at least a licence ... never mind.
You should be able to watch it on iPlayer (may have to tell a fib first though...)
yeha

Post by yeha »

Haven't watched the programme mentioned yet, but thought that you may also want to watch this one too:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b ... -latitudes

Leon McCarron has cycled around the world but is also a good story teller. I've been following his exploits for a few years.
Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go - T.S.Eliot.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

I tried the Leon one, he’s normally good but I was disappointed with this one.

Presenting wise, he was great but the programme was more of a history version of the story rather than him doing the journey and adding in facts along the way if that makes sense. Sadly turned off half way through :oops:

Will give it another go and see. Will be looking for the hidden Wales in i player :-bd
99percentchimp

Post by 99percentchimp »

Thanks for those - will watch those with the boys later and go exploring… there'll be loads I've missed right on the door step in there :-) Ta muchly.
Conquistador of the pointless
https://www.flickr.com/photos/99percentchimp/
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

Watched it last night thanks to the heads up by John Climber. Even though its my 'back garden' i learnt some new things. I've biked at Cwmorthin quite a bit and what they showed on the show of the ruins at the surface is nothing compared to what's further up the hillside. Bloody shame that big house at BrynKir has gone to ruin. Manod quarry is active so be careful if you venture that way but the Penmachno side is great. Looking forward to the next one...
BAM: 2014, 2018 & ......
2024 Bikepacking nights: 5

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/summittoppler/

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/user/jefbricks/videos
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

O and Grwych castle at Abergele has 24 hour security there just in case anyone has marked it as a bivvy spot :wink:
BAM: 2014, 2018 & ......
2024 Bikepacking nights: 5

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/summittoppler/

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/user/jefbricks/videos
psling

Post by psling »

I'm watching too much tv - side-effect of being house-bound at the moment. Just watched Ghillie Kettles being made on Made in Britain (ITV4) - amazingly basic process turning the parts out of flat discs of aluminium and hand shaping them with incredible skill :-bd
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Nice programme that, enjoyed watching it :-bd

His programme on Papua New Guinea is also worth looking for, very much enjoyable
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Thanks, that was fantastic. I really should do some more research about my family history. My great grandfather was a slate miner and I feel slightly ashamed that I could ride past such an important part of my family history and not know.
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
paramart

Post by paramart »

thanks for the heads up, just signed up to iplayer to watch it, great program :-bd
it's not that I can and others can't, it's that I will and others won't.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Stevo, "more research" - this is a cracking book: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Victorian-Mini ... 1843060736. Just got it off my shelf for a re-read in the bath tonight. A no-brainer at only four quid too! I'll travel 100's of miles to gawp for hours at a towering and brooding slate tip as much as the next [wo]man (oh, er, just me then?), but this focusses on what it was like in the workers' cabans, homes, etc. Apparently the "doctors" of the time believed slate dust to be most efficacious in every case (*). In fact I think I might pop over to Blaenau for a sniff or two next time I feel a bit chesty...

R

(*) Scaffold anyone?
Last edited by RIP on Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Lawmanmx

Post by Lawmanmx »

Enjoyed that :-bd
psling

Post by psling »

Enjoyable 2nd episode (although Ian Barrington got to one of the features by pedal-power a few years previously https://ianbarrington.com/2014/11/21/the-lighthouse/ ).
I'd heard about the cave featured before but never realised quite how stunning the chambers are, nor how tight the squeezes to get there :shock:

[Episode 2 should be available to view via original link at post #1]
RIP

Post by RIP »

It was enjoyable wasn't it Peter? Roy Fellows is doing a top job at Cwmystwyth. Some of those false floors are pretty playful though by the look of it. Really must go and dig my gear out and get back into it.

Next week's preview was encouraging too. Glad someone has the courage to make these progs and similar ones; compared to the 'reality' (call that reality?)and pwoperdee shows, and all the rest of it, these are far more interesting and thought provoking.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster