BB200 planning

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Asposium

Re: BB200 planning

Post by Asposium »

Dyffers wrote:My TLS ethos is falling apart; I'm up to extra gloves, socks and intermediate jacket that I wasn't planning on taking.

On a positive note: I hoped to be passed Clun (300 route) before the shop opened on Sunday morning, but there's much less chance of that now. :roll:
:shock:
Dyffers

Post by Dyffers »

Asposium wrote:
Dyffers wrote:My TLS ethos is falling apart; I'm up to extra gloves, socks and intermediate jacket that I wasn't planning on taking.

On a positive note: I hoped to be passed Clun (300 route) before the shop opened on Sunday morning, but there's much less chance of that now. :roll:
:shock:
Shock? Clun is only a bit more than 200k...if you start at 7am and can't do 200k in 25 hours (shop opens at 8am on Sunday) I'd say you're going to be tight for the 36 hour cutoff, although the last 100k is ~50% road so perhaps a little bit faster (nearly wrote easier).
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Dyffers wrote:
Shock? Clun is only a bit more than 200k...if you start at 7am and can't do 200k in 25 hours (shop opens at 8am on Sunday) I'd say you're going to be tight for the 36 hour cutoff, although the last 100k is ~50% road so perhaps a little bit faster (nearly wrote easier).
I'd asumed that the shock is that you think there's a chance it might be open when you go by not that it might be closed, you've explained why above :smile:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Wilkyboy

Post by Wilkyboy »

Dyffers wrote:And...the forecast now has it stopping raining about midnight, but the wind direct turns to North Westerly hahahahaha! :lol:
But dropping to a gentle breeze :roll:

I've got the Nikwax out, everything's getting a dunking ...
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

With this weather even the fastest amongst us on the 300 are going to be tight on the 36 hours (especially because of one bit of hike-a-bike). I imagine that last section is going to be full on maximum effort time trial style.

If the wind is anything like they say it is, then the first section goes from being hard to downright soul destroying.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

I'm looking at the route using satellite view, especially the sections I've not done before. Am I right in thinking that one of the main bits, if not the main bit, of H-a-B is shared between the two routes? I'll be vague so as not to spoil the fun for those who don't know the area :wink: Actually, apart from that I'm struggling to see lots of tussocky hell, there's a lot of grassy tracks which will be interesting :???: after the rain has passed through but most looks OK*.

Clothing wise it's a tough choice as the forecast temperature is very warm for the time of year - 16/17C. I was going to take my lightweight waterproof and a windshirt but looking at the forecast I think I'll go with my heavy duty Endura MT500 jacket. Not sure what to have on my legs, if I go with too much I overheat but equally just having bib shorts might be a bit on the exposed side. I've an old pair of overshoes that I don't mind trashing. Might be Sealskinz socks for Saturday with a change to dry socks to start Sunday.

* Famous last words as I sink into a quagmire uttering a stream of Dave Barteresque invective :lol:
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'm looking at the route using satellite view, especially the sections I've not done before. Am I right in thinking that one of the main bits, if not the main bit, of H-a-B is shared between the two routes? I'll be vague so as not to spoil the fun for those who don't know the area :wink: Actually, apart from that I'm struggling to see lots of tussocky hell, there's a lot of grassy tracks which will be interesting :???: after the rain has passed through but most looks OK*.
There's not really much in the way of tussock hell this year Bob. In the main, the grassy tracks are actually tracks and I'm hoping that they'll still be drier than usual for the time of year.

There are 2 sections of HaB shared between the two - the first is grassy, the second is rocky. Both are reasonably short lived though.
May the bridges you burn light your way
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Cheers Stu. I remember my first winter event - I made the mistake of choosing some grassy bridleways which were very hard work at that time of year: ascents being mostly pushing, descents mostly sliding and the flats mostly swearing :-bd
Mike

Post by Mike »

And that grassy one isnt that bad either :-bd
Matt

Post by Matt »

Think I’m getting too blasé about this stuff.

Not looked at the route yet or the weather (although I take it rain is expected)

It will be what it is.*

*not doing the 300 though
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Bollocks. The jacket I ordered is apparently delayed from the manufacturer.

I really don't think my MT500 is going to cut it. Going to be way too warm to put out any decent power in that.
Karl

Post by Karl »

Surely if you're putting out that much power the rain will just evaporate off your skin, no waterproof required! :wink:
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

For short stuff that's basically how I work... but I can't maintain that for 24+ hours! :lol:
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

To hell with it, going Ikon up front, Pace at the back. Who needs grip? :lol:

Might actually make me chill out on the descents a bit.

Edit - Uhhh...

techno

Post by techno »

whitestone wrote:Clothing wise it's a tough choice as the forecast temperature is very warm for the time of year - 16/17C. I was going to take my lightweight waterproof and a windshirt but looking at the forecast I think I'll go with my heavy duty Endura MT500 jacket. Not sure what to have on my legs, if I go with too much I overheat but equally just having bib shorts might be a bit on the exposed side. I've an old pair of overshoes that I don't mind trashing. Might be Sealskinz socks for Saturday with a change to dry socks to start Sunday.
My current plan is buffalo teclite top, plenty of vents windproof, copes with the wet. Shorts and waterproof trews for my bottom half.
I think I'll carry some Roubaix tights incase it gets proper chilly overnight.
Will see what I think on Saturday morning......
Mike

Post by Mike »

Karl does this mean you r riding naked? :lol:
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

Matt wrote:Think I’m getting too blasé about this stuff.
Not looked at the route yet or the weather (although I take it rain is expected)...
I'm much the same, Matt. Why bother? It's the BB200...we're going to ride bikes and get damp. It's still going to be fun.

Greetz

S.
Karl

Post by Karl »

Mike wrote:Karl does this mean you r riding naked? :lol:
Nope I'll be wrapping up warm. Just hope I don't end up following Rich G too closely :lol:
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Scattamah wrote:I'm much the same, Matt. Why bother? It's the BB200...we're going to ride bikes and get damp. It's still going to be fun.
In fairness, 60mph+ winds isn't quite the norm for Wales...
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

It's neither fair nor the norm...I'd agree. We're still going to ride bikes and have fun. :)
Now go fix yer bike. *grins*

Greetz

S.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

I'm trying. No front brake as it stands. =/
slarge

Post by slarge »

Rich, brakes only slow you down. You'll finish faster without them.....

We're all going to get wet and be blown about a bit. Sometimes it will be fun, and sometimes less fun. Keep the electronics dry and all will be fine. See you Fri night, Sat am and again on Sunday!
jay91

Post by jay91 »

Scattamah wrote:It's neither fair nor the norm...I'd agree. We're still going to ride bikes and have fun. :)
Now go fix yer bike. *grins*

Greetz

S.
:-bd
Trying to ride bikes.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Just been looking at the 200. Unless there's something particularly nasty hidden in the non shared section that I can't see... I think you guys have got a nice easy year.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Richard G wrote:Just been looking at the 200. Unless there's something particularly nasty hidden in the non shared section that I can't see... I think you guys have got a nice easy year.
Due to time constraints mentioned in the other thread I'll probably drop down to the 200. I don't think I'll be any drier by the end though! The shared section across Hyddgen looks like the crux, the rest of it "looks" straightforward. One or two grassy tracks I've not done before which could be a little on the interesting side.