Off-road riding in Switzerland & Italy - what are the rules?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

haydnw

Off-road riding in Switzerland & Italy - what are the rules?

Post by haydnw »

Hi. Does anyone know the rules regarding off-road cycling in Switzerland and Italy please? My original plan to run the four days of Ultra Tour Monte Rosa (https://www.ultratourmonterosa.com/4-stage-race-info/) at the start of August has been scuppered, and I now need to ride it (or something very similar). I have no idea whether bikes have any right of access on any particular types of trails / footpaths, and don't seem to be able to find out. Has anyone any experience? Is any particular map publisher better at showing me where I can / cannot ride? Any input greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Haydn
padonbike

Re: Off-road riding in Switzerland & Italy - what are the ru

Post by padonbike »

I hiked the Tour of Monte Rosa 10 years ago. It was fantastic. I don't recall seeing a single bike at any point of the route and I recall a lot of steep climbs on foot that would be on foot with a bike too.
However, googling in Italian it certainly seems to have been done:
http://www.muntanbici.it/giro-del-rosa.html
There is other stuff too in Italian about logistics, routes etc.
Good luck finding anything in English. :-bd
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

haydnw wrote:I have no idea whether bikes have any right of access on any particular types of trails / footpaths, and don't seem to be able to find out. Has anyone any experience? Is any particular map publisher better at showing me where I can / cannot ride? Any input greatly appreciated!
In Italy you're almost safe to ride where ever you want. I've not ridden the Italian part of the Monte Rosa loop, but know from friends that it's a blast and completely legal. Many regions have marked single tracks, some of which are shared with hiking trails.
Aosta has some of the best riding in the Alps and so far I've not come across any signs indicating off limits for bikers. There are some regions in Italy with restrictions, but you'll not come close to them.

The whole Valais is as free as it gets for bikers. You can't go wrong. Just stick with etiquette and all's good.

From here:
http://bearbonesbikepacking.co.uk/phpBB ... =7&t=11659
Alpinum wrote:

You are absolutely right about the honeypot trails. Stay clear. If you really must ride them, choose week days and ride them early or late.
The places you mention are well acquainted with bikers. You can hardly do any thing wrong.

Technically, there is a national law in Switzerland (dates back a bit) that says something like 'use of walking and hiking paths with motorised vehicles and bicycles not suitable for such are prohibited'. The thing is, bikes are made for such.
It's legal. Some cantons are slightly restrictive, but Valais, Berne, Grisons, Vaude, Ticino - those with the best trails - are all good to go.

Then there are local legislations but basically the not legal trails are indicated and mostly around tourist hot spots in gorges etc. But trust me, they are very, very far from frequent.

Switzerland and France are as free as it gets.
There are the well known swiss topo maps, then trail maps (various Publishers) which indicate which trails are easy and which less so etc. All marked will be legal. But you really don't need such a tool. You can plan your route and go enjoy it without any worries about legality :-bd

Alan asked me about biking around Monte Rosa. If it was you with whom he intended to go, he or I can send you our correspondance. There's some detailed info in there.
haydnw

Post by haydnw »

Thank you both, that's great. I don't know Alan, but maybe our paths will cross somewhere around Monte Rosa!
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Just drop a message/post if you have more questions. I know the Valais like the back of my hand.