Squeaky shoes Giro Privateer

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Rasta

Squeaky shoes Giro Privateer

Post by Rasta »

I have some Giro Privateer shoes which I bought especially for big distance rides. Road and Mountain bike.
These are my 5th pair of clipless shoes, so I have experience with clipless shoes, but I can't stop these from squeaking. And they are really bad. Both sides, every turn.

The problem I now have is - I am subconciously adjusting/twisting my foot position to reduce the noise, which may mess with my knees. So getting used to the noise is not the answer.

Yes, it is 100% the shoes, not saddle, bb, drive chain etc. I just wear other shoes and the noise is gone. Road and mtb bikes.
Tried grease, oil, loctite, different bolt torques. Sometimes the noise is reduced, but it soon returns.

Any tips? Anyone with Giro Privateers?
The only thing I can think of, is repositioning the cleats, but this may cause other problems.
BreninBeener

Re: Squeaky shoes Giro Privateer

Post by BreninBeener »

try new cleats? or different ones?
Steezysix

Post by Steezysix »

First, you could try changing or cleaning the insoles, might be dirt or muck underneath that's causing the squeaking. Otherwise, try taking the pedals off your bike, clipping them onto the shoes and look to see where the rubber is coming into contact. Then use a craft knife to trim it back a bit at a time until the squeaking disappears.
jameso

Post by jameso »

I get the same thing with most shoes - my right foot rolls a bit as I pedal and climbing can include that squeaky annoyance - solution is to find the are of the shoe and pedal contact that's flat and causing the squeak, then cross-hatch score the pedal in that area with something sharp and do the same with a scalpel to put some cross-hatch cuts into the rubber of the shoe sole in the same area. it tends to stop or at least reduce it.
Rasta

Post by Rasta »

Starting a short tour tomorrow in the Alps, so will do some experimenting. Going to take a Chapstick and knife.
The Privateer shoes have a big tread, so most of the pedal is in contact. A big job if it is the sole on the pedal. A lot of cutting.
Also noticed that the uppers, tongue, squeak a lot. Hmmmmmm!

Thanks for the replies.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Got giro terradura they do the same. It's the rubber when its dry I just oil the pedals up seems to stop it for a bit
Rasta

Post by Rasta »

Are you talking about the rubber tread touching the top of the pedal?

Not the cleat?
rufus748

Post by rufus748 »

Mike wrote:Got giro terradura they do the same. It's the rubber when its dry I just oil the pedals up seems to stop it for a bit
Strange, mine are ok but my spesh rimes do it.