Torino nice who's doing it this yr

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

wriggles

Re: Torino nice who's doing it this yr

Post by wriggles »

I have had the same tyre dilemma. Currently running 650b x 47 byway. I'd like to run 700c wheels though so can run my dynamo front and also I prefer the bigger wheels. I have Nano 40s on the 700c wheels at the moment but would prefer something bigger with lower tread. A byway 45 in 700c would be ideal. Looked at Gravel King 43s and Riddler 45s but they arnt as fast rolling as the Byways. Any ideas?
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

All I can say is that in the first year we rode with some Italian guys on 28mm conti road tyres, they did not have the greatest of times at points but equally they did not die.I think 43s would be fine. There is a LOT of riding uphill on tarmac.
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
wriggles

Post by wriggles »

Yep Byways 650b x 47 are winning at the moment as they are so much faster rolling
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I used 650b 50c (2") Maxxis Re-fuse on year one. Little unsure quite what to expect from the route or the tyres but they turned out to be a perfect match ... even coped with more 'mountain bikey' off-road detours Chew and me 'discovered' :-bd

As Dave says - you will be going up hill on tarmac a lot, at least 70% of the time probably ... do what makes that easier.
May the bridges you burn light your way
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

On the first year I rode a rigid MTB with 2.0 front / 40mm rear, and it was mostly fine but the long bumpy descent to San Damiano was not comfortable!

This year it will be on my new drop bar Gravel bike, but still undecided what to roll. Options are:

700c: means I can use my Dynamo, although I don't intend riding in the dark unless unavoidable. Power-pack and plug sockets adequate to charge phone, etc.
Schwalbe G-One 30mm. Great for the roads, but not the gravel. Unlikely
Schwalbe G-One 38mm. Quite possibly - a good all-round, but maybe a bit fragile for multi-days?
Panaracer Gravel King 40mm. Well regarded and robust, but relatively heavy.
Schwalbe Furious Fred 2.0. Probably pushing my luck, but reckon there is clearance in the fork for this. So long as there is no mud... Max comfort option!

650b:
Schwalbe Thunder Burt 2.1. Reasonable all-rounder, but as I intend sticking to the road options, probably more tread than I need. And, run tubeless (all my tyres are) they lose air at a ridiculous rate!
WTB Byeway 47mm. Not used yet, but I expect these will end up going, based on their reputation for sweet-spot ride quality and durability on a road biased route.

I am not buying any more tyres this year... But I could do with a big jug of Stans!
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Worth noting that you can now get the Thunder Burts with the Addix compound... so they might be different with regard to losing pressure vs the old models (that said, beware of early examples of them as apparently they made a bunch that weren't true).

Aren't Furious Freds puncture / tear magnets? Though I guess if you're only on road / gravel you'd be fine.
wriggles

Post by wriggles »

I am not buying any more tyres this year...
yeah I am in that place as well :roll: , although the Maxxis Re-fuse look really good indeed. Have been very impressed by the Byway 47s though over the 400km since fitted so most likely will stick with them. Think part of the problem is having ridden just 29ers for the last 10 years taking a while to get used to the (slightly) smaller wheels. Its all in my head really.
Rasta

Post by Rasta »

Just descending the Col de Tende right now. Can confirm that the view is amazing.
To those who are riding unsupported, I stashed your food when you said to.
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

@Rasta - Does that mean you had a large lunch at the pub at the top of the col? :)
Love those switchbacks. Going to try for the longer route down this year though.

Greetz

S.
Rasta

Post by Rasta »

Had lunch at Fort Central. It is busy up here. Met a German doing the TN now.

Not descending the switchbacks. There is mountain bike trail down from Fort Tabourde. Excellent single track.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

I really need to look at the route. I want to do the "full" experience, with more of the rough stuff if possible, but I have absolutely no idea what that actually means.
BigRingGrinder

Post by BigRingGrinder »

I've got a horrible feeling that these next two weeks are going to fly by. In some ways that's a good thing and in other ways it's a bad thing... I still feel a little un-prepared for this. Seems like only yesterday I was telling someone that it was 10 weeks until the start of this. Really not sure where those 8 weeks went!
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

I still don't have a bike... as normal. :lol:
jameso

Post by jameso »

Don't worry BRG. I know a few people who thought they were really prepared who seemed to have changed their minds by about 6 hours into day one, both years so far :grin:
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

jameso wrote:...people who thought they were really prepared...
Like the Belgian lad on the plastic BMC with skinnies the first year who was going to ride it in 3 days. I didn't see him at the table in Nice. ;)

Greetz

S.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

I just went through the route doc and I must admit... I'm pretty confused (I've never done a ride with alternate routes before).

I'm not entirely sure I understand it properly, but I think I want to do:

1.1: Turin-Cervieres. Turin to Cervieres, 210km, via Colle del Colombardo 1st climb
2.1: Cerv-CdP-VV. Cervières to Château-Ville-Vieille via Col des Peas, 31km
3: VV-PtMarmora. Château-Ville-Vieille to Ponte Marmora, 110km.
4.1: PtMarmora-Chialv-Tend. Ponte Marmora to Col Tende via original route past Chialvetta, 110km.
5: Really not sure on this one, but I'm inclined to do the .1 version as I'll be planning to do it everywhere else.
6: Turini-Nice. Col Turini to Nice / Café du Cycliste, 98.5km.

I do sort of feel like I'm missing the death road there... but I'm thinking that's not the end of the world.

Edit - If I'm honest though, if I've found myself with others and I'm enjoying their company (obviously a lot of us have ridden together before), then I may just go with the flow.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

but I'm thinking that's not the end of the world.
It just feels like it :wink:
BigRingGrinder

Post by BigRingGrinder »

At the moment that's pretty much the route options I'm planning.

Part of me would like to do Col d'Izoard which is on one of the other route choices but if I'm honest that's just to tick it off and say I've been there. It's not going anywhere so could leave that for another day. I've done the Death Road before on a road cycling holiday a couple of years ago so not bothered too much about doing that again. I actually punctured on that and wondered why the tour guides were fussing around me and getting the tube changed when I was quite capable. In hindsight I now know why!

But I think route choice will come down to how I feel, what the weather is doing, time, and if I find myself riding in a group what are they planning etc. Basically think I'm just going to go with the flow and not worry about it too much at this stage.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

I was thinking about that (Col d'Izoard), and I reckon I'd rather do it on a road tour. :)
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

@Rich and BRG...here's what I remember from 2016...

Day 1...You'll knock Colombardo off just after lunchtime. It's a long way down even when you're hooning so don't expect to get to the base of Finestre before 3pm. The quicker riders will summit Finestre towards the end of the day. I slept on the slopes not long after the tarmac finished and the gravel started.

Day 2...the Assieta section is longer than you think. Lunch in Sestriere. Getting into Briançon in the afternoon for resupply. From listening to Dave and Andy's account of Col de Peas, it's a tough push. I bivvied on the slopes of Izoard that evening.

Day 3...up and over Izoard, down into the next valley, then the long slog up Agnel. Don't underestimate this climb. Belt down the other side to find some food - that climb will leave you hungry. There's a good chunk of tarmac to the base of Sampeyere and another long slog up this climb. At the top you have the option to do the ridgeline or the Death Road alternate. Down the bottom, there is food. I quite fancy visiting Stroppo again for some really great pizza, but it's all up for grabs.

Day 4...up to Chialvetta and the big push up to Gardetta pass. Don't expect to skip up this. Lunch at the refugio up here was great. Some great offroad riding comes next on rocky gravel tracks with stunning views. Down into Demonte for icecream. A couple of 500' climbs which disappear quickly after the beasts you've already done and then food. I bivvied just beyond Roaschia.

Day 5...big day for me. Over the 1000'er down to Limonte Piamonte for breakfast icecream and espresso. Up Col de Tende and down the other side. At this point you can take Via del Sale for more offroad experience. If you take the switchbacks that's a lot of fun too. Just after Fontan, start climbing into a valley that leads you to an vaguely exciting fireroad climb up to the top of Turini. I kept going here which was foolish - I should've eaten at the restaurant at the top. A blast through the forest and down the valley road to Sospel. Another climb up out of Sospel and I crashed by the side of the track at stupid o'clock.

Day 6...running low on food and water, I made a dash for the line...over Col de Brauss, along some lovely gravel and it's here you start to see the sea which is a big boost to the spirit. The sting in the tail was Col de la Madone. From here it's nearly all downhill and you start to hit civilisation and the traffic that comes with it.

You can do it slower...I'm aiming to be a bit slower this year and enjoy it more...I booked out enough time to get the Molini Pools section in. All of the above was most definetly done on a wing-it schedule...there was no plan and I was graced with some stunning weather. I rode alone for a lot of day 1, on and off with others on day 2 then hooked up with another rider for day 3, 4 and the morning of 5. In Limonte a bunch of us came together and we did Col de Tende and had lunch at the top. Rode solo into Nice after Fontan.

Take it as it comes...if you find yourself on your own in the middle of nowhere playing charades with the locals for food, go with it! It's all part of the adventure.

Greetz

S.
BigRingGrinder

Post by BigRingGrinder »

Thanks for that, good info there. I think I'm prepared to wing it which is very much out of character for me so it could be interesting!
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I firmly believe that the only way to really appreciate the TNR is to wing-it. Simply go where the mood and wind take you ... to plan it, is to spoil it :wink:
BigRingGrinder

Post by BigRingGrinder »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:I firmly believe that the only way to really appreciate the TNR is to wing-it. Simply go where the mood and wind take you ... to plan it, is to spoil it :wink:
I like that! Might have to stick those wise words on to my top tube :smile:
ianpv

Post by ianpv »

I got a place through the cancellations at the last minute, so I'm definitely winging it. Need to sort out some turin accommodation sunday night!

Got to say that the cue sheets/route guides etc. are fantastic, so thanks to James for that :-bd . Hope my downloaded open maps are up to scratch, but other than that, it doesn't feel like a risky option to take things as they come. Given myself 8 days which should be plenty even though I'm not really as fit as I'd like to be...
ianpv

Post by ianpv »

I'm on 40mm 700c Terene Elwood tyres which seem pretty tough and roll ok-ish. I've also managed to fit an mtb triple with two rings (26/38) onto the bike and it is shifting fine with a 105 front mech and 11/32 cassette. So I'll be able to spin up the climbs at least. Maybe.