The remote feed meths stove lives (again).

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Ian

Re: The remote feed meths stove lives (again).

Post by Ian »

I think the blue looks quite nice ;)
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

Can you simmer with the RF stove or is it just a "cook on full power" kind of stove?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Can you simmer with the RF stove or is it just a "cook on full power" kind of stove?
Yes ... but I have to say that there's a knack to doing it. The inner chamber has a wick (unlike the 22g) that holds the fuel. The key is to feed the stove enough fuel to keep the wick moist but no more.

An alternative method would be to place a circle of fine mesh (the kind you find on those simmering rings you can use on the cooker at home) between the stove top and your pot.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

An alternative method would be to place a circle of fine mesh (the kind you find on those simmering rings you can use on the cooker at home) between the stove top and your pot.
:?: :?:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I can't find a picture of a mesh one but something like the one in the link cut down to a slightly bigger diameter than your pot, would work ... sod it, I'll make some! ;)

http://www.dennyandsons.co.uk/heat-diff ... tAoduCkAeQ
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

Is it like the disc at the bottom right of the pic?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Is it like the disc at the bottom right of the pic?
That'd do it.
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

Does that not break the seal between the pot and the stove making it REALLY inefficient.

Or is that the point?
Ian

Post by Ian »

flatfishy wrote:Does that not break the seal between the pot and the stove making it REALLY inefficient.

Or is that the point?
If that's the case, you could just bend on old spoke into a V shape and put that across the top of the stove and place pan back on top?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Does that not break the seal between the pot and the stove making it REALLY inefficient.

Or is that the point?
It will but no that isn't the point. The point is ... the plate will deflect some of the heat away from your pot. In an ideal world, a plate with a solid centre the same diameter as the stove and a drilled edge about 50mm bigger would be the best solution.
Oli.vert

Post by Oli.vert »

A bit of thread necromancy here, but it's not worth starting a new thread over....

Having, a short while ago, obtained one of these 'ere rf stoves and had a mighty fiddle on first attempt, I have on second attempt and some tinkering successfully brewed a practice cup of tea outside in the cold. :-bd

Took about 10 minutes to boiling including faff time, once I've reduced the faff I'm sure it could be less - especially in warmer weather. Still haven't quite worked out how much fuel to squirt into the cooker - just till I can see the wick damp, or until it's proper sodden - whatever, with a half-way refill it's working quite nicely.

1st attempt was quite entertaining as I'd 'got something wrong' and was reminded of just how easy it is to melt aluminium, in this case the windshield that Stu includes in the 22g RF pack. I think I was using the windshield as a pot stand and had a remarkably fierce blue force-flame of super-hero quality going. And wondered why the cup was taking on a rather jaunty tilt. Luckily I had a moment of clarity and wasted the opportunity to cast near boiling water about the place. I thought I could try and repeat the same, but wimped out and bought a click-shield for some extra stability. Between the clickshield* and 22g stove it's a very nice thing. Even if it now weighs 122g. :oops: :-bd

* edit - it's not a clickshield, not sure that's a thing tbh, it's a clickstand. Just added the edit for anyone coming along in months years to come, trying to find some misnamed product. :lol:
Last edited by Oli.vert on Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

but wimped out and bought a click-shield for some extra stability.
Oli, make sure the pot still stands directly on top of the stove with no gap between the two ... if you don't, it'll still work but be very wasteful of fuel / be much fiercer than required and may damage the fuel line..

As for the wick - noticeably damp will be fine.

EDIT: I shall send you a tapered shield down. It wil aid both stability and efficiency :wink:
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

I like that a lot. :cool:
Oli.vert

Post by Oli.vert »

Pot directly on top of cooker - Yup - first time there was certainly a good gap. I was amazed at how fierce the flame was for such a tiny burner.
Got it about right now I think.

Cheers for the other - top bloke you are.
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

I've just ordered one of these. I currently use a Vargo ti stove which is great but I often end up refilling it to continue cooking my Cordon Bleu bikepacking meals. Refilling a hot stove can be a bit exciting at times (although they do bloom very quickly on re-lighting :lol: ). Then I often end up with loads of fuel left in the stove after cooking which I have to try to pour back into my fuel bottle with the inevitable spillage. With these facts in mind I reckon this little stove will be perfect for me. I'm looking forward to trying it out. :-bd
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

Is there is an pressure equalisation value in the bottle to replace with air the fuel volume lost?
A very soft fuel bag might overcome this problem to some extent.
Medical drip bag perhaps?
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

Asposium wrote:Is there is an pressure equalisation value in the bottle to replace with air the fuel volume lost?
A very soft fuel bag might overcome this problem to some extent.
Medical drip bag perhaps?
I think this question was addressed earlier in this thread (there's no valve but it works okay with the squashy bottle anyway was my reading of it).
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

There's an internal valve within the stove but nothing to allow air into the bottle. There's such small amounts of fuel moving that it doesn't really require it.