Wildlife

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

faustus

Re: Wildlife

Post by faustus »

Shaf, a tip for aiding visual ID or photos: as you have an Android phone, find Google Lens on either your camera or the app (it should be native free google app), and once open take a picture with Google Lens or you can use it on images from your gallery, and it'll help identify plants and animals, especially if it's a close-up or cropped picture. Might struggle with birds a long way away, but I just used it on the computer screen and it came up with Ctenophora ornata as the species. It's not 100% accurate, but can help narrow down species. Found it useful for wildflowers recently when I wasn't carrying a book :-bd
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

A good haul already this morning.

A pair of red kites at the same location as I saw a single one a couple of months ago. Then just 5m from where I’m working a pair of hares appeared - one male and one female as they were boxing. They were totally oblivious to me and just ran around with the female fending off the attentions of the male

Shaf, sometimes you get a genera/group that even the experts have trouble distinguishing. I remember one such saying that the only way to know which species a particular insect was was to kill it and examine its genitalia under a microscope! A bit impractical for the average person. Dragonflies and damselflies are hard to distinguish because they rarely stay still and move so quickly and erratically.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Hyppy

Post by Hyppy »

I've become a bit obsessed watching the interactive Osprey webcam at Foulshaw Moss although am a bit worried that the more runty of the chicks gets picked on by the larger ones and isn't getting enough food. Dad brought back a nice little trout yesterday:

redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Thanks Bob/Faustus. Crane Fly will do for me (after following the name you ID'. Hyppy, that's amazing and must've been lovely seeing dad/mum bringhome the fish.

On another note, the binoculars I bought off ebay (tiny Zeiss, antique looking ones) have been a right game changer on the walks/rides. Try not to take em out too often though as it slows down the pace a bit much!
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

After yesterday afternoons Pine Marten sighting, I saw another (or the same one) out hunting in the evening. That made me suspicious that they might be living in a dead hollow Ash behind the barn but no, turns out they've set up house in the barn as I discovered today. Saw two adults (I've called this one Guy) and one kit but I imagine there's at least one more.

May the bridges you burn light your way
Boab

Post by Boab »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 4:19 pm After yesterday afternoons Pine Marten sighting, I saw another (or the same one) out hunting in the evening. That made me suspicious that they might be living in a dead hollow Ash behind the barn but no, turns out they've set up house in the barn as I discovered today. Saw two adults (I've called this one Guy) and one kit but I imagine there's at least one more.
That is so cool!
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
riderdown

Post by riderdown »

I think most of us are going to struggle to beat a pine Martin in the barn.

Have some bees in the masonry under the back doorstep...
redefined_cycles

That's amazing Stu. Congrats on your new family. So, Guy, Kit and The Other. Looking forward to a Pine Marten thread popping up one day soon :grin: :-bd
redefined_cycles

The food chain says the predators are golden eagles (can never decide if this should be capital or not... surely it's without capital letters as it's general.. but if anyone can confirm I wrote it write :smile: pls). So maybe some time soon there'll be a couple of Golden Eagles moving in next door :o

https://www.woodlandtrust.org.uk/trees- ... ne-marten/
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Hyppy wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 10:59 am I've become a bit obsessed watching the interactive Osprey webcam at Foulshaw Moss although am a bit worried that the more runty of the chicks gets picked on by the larger ones and isn't getting enough food. Dad brought back a nice little trout yesterday:
I just about look down on the Foulshaw reserve from where I'm working. I've yet to see the ospreys though.
psling

Post by psling »

On a similar theme to Stu's Martens, some time ago a couple of beavers were introduced to the Forest of Dean but unfortunately last year the female disappeared, presumed dead. A new female was brought in during January this year. They obviously got on well almost immediately because recently they have produced 2 kits :-bd
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
Hyppy

Post by Hyppy »

whitestone wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 8:19 pm I just about look down on the Foulshaw reserve from where I'm working. I've yet to see the ospreys though.
I've never seen them either despite being local-ish. I rode out that way at the weekend recceing a route I'm putting together. Should've taken some binoculars.

It was flatfish for brekkie yesterday.

fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

:-bd
There are Ospreys round here but I've never managed to spot one
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Love the Pine Marten news, that's great!

Just back from Edinburgh where I saw an otter, first time in the wild for me.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Nearly ran over an Adder on the track up the Geldie on the Cairngorms Loop on Saturday. Came quite close to headbutting it too - lifted the back wheel braking to avoid it. I wasn't going that fast, but evidently wasn't looking at the track in front of me. Too shocked to get a photo before it slithered away. Andy (boxelder) got a picture of quite a big one elsewhere on the route too.

Not sure if it "counts" but I found some plant-based ( :roll: ) but non-vegan ( :shock: ) wildlife: Common Butterwort, one of Europe's few insectivorous plants.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

thenorthwind wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 12:17 pm Nearly ran over an Adder on the track up the Geldie on the Cairngorms Loop on Saturday. Came quite close to headbutting it too - lifted the back wheel braking to avoid it. I wasn't going that fast, but evidently wasn't looking at the track in front of me. Too shocked to get a photo before it slithered away. Andy (boxelder) got a picture of quite a big one elsewhere on the route too.

Not sure if it "counts" but I found some plant-based ( :roll: ) but non-vegan ( :shock: ) wildlife: Common Butterwort, one of Europe's few insectivorous plants.
I've nearly mown down a few adders in the Cairngorms (usually on the Glen Tromie track) - definitely a way to improve your bunny hopping skills! The first time it happened I wondered why there was a large bootlace lying across the path, then it moved!
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

I had an odd looking bird of prey circling over me on my run today - probably a buzzard but it looked like something had taken a big bit out of one wing where it was missing several flight feathers but the wing tip was all intact. It didn't seem to affect its circling around on the thermals much. I didn't have my phone to take a picture unfortunately.
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Been checking my bird book, and another couple of firsts for me last week - a siskin, and a sedge warbler.
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

Andy (boxelder) got a picture of quite a big one elsewhere on the route too.
I'd post the pic if I could remember how........

Pine Martens were spotted too, though not by me unfortunately.

EDIT:

It was a great weekend all round, with a mass finish BBQ, amazing weather and a variety of lovely folks.

20km in, 6.30am

Linn of Dee

Some of the new singletrack
Last edited by boxelder on Mon Jun 12, 2023 9:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Boab

Post by Boab »

boxelder wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 7:13 pm I'd post the pic of I could remember how........
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=5584&hilit=photos
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

PaulB2 wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 3:48 pm I had an odd looking bird of prey circling over me on my run today - probably a buzzard but it looked like something had taken a big bit out of one wing where it was missing several flight feathers but the wing tip was all intact. It didn't seem to affect its circling around on the thermals much. I didn't have my phone to take a picture unfortunately.
Any chance it could have been a cuckoo? They look a bit like hawks, but with an oddly-shaped wing.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

boxelder wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 7:13 pm
Some of the new singletrack
ooh tell us all about it!
Glen gairn perchance?
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

thenorthwind wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 9:11 pm
PaulB2 wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 3:48 pm I had an odd looking bird of prey circling over me on my run today - probably a buzzard but it looked like something had taken a big bit out of one wing where it was missing several flight feathers but the wing tip was all intact. It didn't seem to affect its circling around on the thermals much. I didn't have my phone to take a picture unfortunately.
Any chance it could have been a cuckoo? They look a bit like hawks, but with an oddly-shaped wing.
I can't remember ever seeing a cuckoo circling - they are usually darting between trees or fending off attacks from their victims (does seem a bit odd that the adults recognise the threat from the cuckoo but don't then sit on the nest to protect their eggs)
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

Glen gairn perchance?
Glen Gairn, yup. It's the bit round the west of Meall an t-Slugain, to get down to Invercauld. The 'old route' goes left at the turf roofed bothy/glamping barn, with Huw's revised route carrying on for a mix of great singletrack and pushing/tussock hopping.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

boxelder wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 6:58 am
Glen gairn perchance?
Glen Gairn, yup. It's the bit round the west of Meall an t-Slugain, to get down to Invercauld. The 'old route' goes left at the turf roofed bothy/glamping barn, with Huw's revised route carrying on for a mix of great singletrack and pushing/tussock hopping.
I know it well - one of my fav trails in the area. Funnily enough I worked out a CL300 alternative a few years ago using this instead of the 'sting in the tail' to Fealar lodge so nice that Huw has gone with it!