Llanidloes Adventure Fim Night

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

psling

Llanidloes Adventure Fim Night

Post by psling »

I saw this pop up on The Adventure Syndicate http://theadventuresyndicate.com/events ... ight-wales.

Nice and local for you Stu but is it likely to go ahead given the weather. You'll have to put on the goggles and jump on the quad,,,
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Llanidloes Adventure Fim Night

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

The main road from Newtown might be passable but I'd imagine any other route would be blocked. The only movement locally involves BIG tractors, not much else is moving.
May the bridges you burn light your way
benconnolli

Post by benconnolli »

In silly adventurous spirit I shall attempt to cycle there tomorrow. Snow and steady wins the race. I live just north of Machynlleth about 50km away. Obviously shall involve a bivi at the other end.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Good luck Ben ... I assume you'll be heading in the general direction of the mountain road out of Mach'? Oooh it'll be bleak :wink:
RIP

Post by RIP »

Made it in time for the fillums? If so I reckon your feat is equally as impressive as any of theirs :-bd.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
benconnolli

Post by benconnolli »

So after making my grand plans they emailed me to day it was cancelled. Gutted. All packed up I decided to do the route anyway and probably stay in the Nant Rys bothy.

The heavy snow sign on the mountain road is not to be taken lightly. It was properly raw up there. When the terrain was rideable the wind would push you off the road, and when it wasn’t rideable it was very not rideable. Lots of hike a bike, losing my boot in the snow every step. Was not uncommon for the snow to totally obscure the fence and the bigger drifts were taller than me. I felt a proper arctic explorer in mid Wales. Madness. Was grateful of my #soenduro goggles as the winds split into my face. It was something of a relief that there was no sustained cycling as my hands were semi frozen into claws, I’m not sure I would trust them to pull on the brakes so snow drifts were equally used to slow down. Obviously the Star Inn was completely inaccessible to everyone apart from me so was closed for my much deserved brew and piles of food. This broke my spirit after such a massive effort completing the mountain road so at the T junction I was fed up with it all so decided to go home, further away than my intended destination so not sure what sense that makes now. North to Llanbrynmair which was about half hike half bike, then back on the a road for some tarmac. Distance travelled ~60km, time taken 7 hours, Kendal mint cakes eaten 1.

Glad I did it to say I did it, there were some really nice views when the mist wasn’t too think. Totally forgot I was in boring old uk. Makes me appreciate the power of nature which I like. Could I describe any of the cycling as actually fun? Probably not.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Good effort Ben - you should have called, Id have put kettle on. :wink:

Do you know whether another date has being arranged for it? I'm thinking a ride out, chippy tea, followed by a lovely spot in the forest ... anyone?
benconnolli

Post by benconnolli »

AH thanks yeah next time I will.

She said they were hoping to reschedule for the weekend after next but guess we are at mercy of the weather
RIP

Post by RIP »

<bigrespectsmiley> (can't find one). :-bd.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
psling

Post by psling »

"I am just going outside and may be some time"
Great effort Ben in the conditions!
"... boring old uk" - can't agree with you on this though, the UK has its moments :cool:

I get the impression that the film night was/is one of what may become a regular feature at Llanidloes?
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.