Stans valves prob

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Mike

Stans valves prob

Post by Mike »

Anyone used these. I'm having a problem getting it to stop spewing air out of the hole in rim the rubber bung doesn't seem to be sealing it. The dt Swiss one I have is fine on front. Any one else had this with stans
whitestone

Re: Stans valves prob

Post by whitestone »

Mike wrote:Anyone used these. I'm having a problem getting it to stop spewing air out of the hole in rim the rubber bung doesn't seem to be sealing it. The dt Swiss one I have is fine on front. Any one else had this with stans
Two possible problems:
1. the hole in the tape is too big - I just make a tiny nick then push the valve through
2. When putting the tyre on you've pushed/nicked the tape and air has got in there and is escaping via the valve hole.

The rubber bung is more like a washer pulling down on the tape.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Mike

Post by Mike »

Hmmm maybe ill retake it bob and try again then , bloody messy stuff I know that glad I hadn't put glitter in it also :)
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I had a similar issue. In the end I put a little silicone sealer under the rubber which cured / sealed it.
May the bridges you burn light your way
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

My tip for getting a neat hole in the tape - after taping over the valve hole shine a light through from the inside of the rim to show there the hole is, using the point of a scalpel cut a small cross that doesn't quite go to the edge of the hole. I have also had to use pliers in the past to tighten the valve up. This also means you may need them with you if you have to take the valve out to put a tube in.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Don't over tighten it. If it's an old one then check there isn't a tear in the rubber sealing bit.
Rich3rd

Post by Rich3rd »

I've completely abandoned the cone shaped valves seals in favour of the half barrel shaped DT Swiss for exactly the reason you describe. http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/dt-s ... -prod81463
I've always got some off-cuts of old inner tube in the tool box (whole separate thread there about 'whats in the bottom of your tool box') but a little off cut with a hole punched in might help you get a better seal against the rim, don't over tighten though.
Last edited by Rich3rd on Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Never knowingly under biked...
Chicken Legs

Post by Chicken Legs »

I had the same problem with a Stans valve, PTFE tape was my friend :wink:
"What is man but the sum of his memories"
Mike

Post by Mike »

Problem sorted. So took it back to the shop to get the right axles ends and he looked at the stans valve it turns out that not all rims are stans compatible then as the inner hole needs to be 8mm and the valve acts as a wedge. The holes in the blunts r the same size so had to use a dt swiss one with a flat back now all is good, just ashame it's so bloody cold out or I'd of tried the wheels out!!