New Salsa carbon bars .....thoughts

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Asposium

New Salsa carbon bars .....thoughts

Post by Asposium »

Been looking at getting some cowbell bars for the gravel bike.
Not so sure about carbon bars on a gravel
Thoughts?

https://salsacycles.com/culture/new_coc ... s_and_more
voodoo_simon

Re: New Salsa carbon bars .....thoughts

Post by voodoo_simon »

Looks a nice range

Can’t see a problem with carbon bars on a gravel bike, used carbon rigid bars on my mountain bike for years without problems
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

$215 for bars..... have some Kool Aid.

On another note, carbon for bars is fine, until you crash hard.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Tempted, but..... $215

No problems with carbon bars.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Someone has been looking at what Enve are charging..... :lol:

On the other hand boggo cowchippers are $50. Not once they've crossed the Atlantic though. :sad:
nedrapier

Post by nedrapier »

I'd have a pair of Carbon Cowchippers. Pretty much perfect for my need/wants. Bit more flare (not flair, but that as well) than my ally cowbells, - woodchippers not for me.

But the ally cowchippers are already way pricey. I'm not going to spend more than double that for a bar that's 75g lighter, when I'd be sticking it on a Singular Peregrine. If I had an Open UP, maybe, but then if I had the money for an Open UP, $215 on bars wouldn't be a problem either.
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

GregMay wrote:$215 for bars..... have some Kool Aid.

On another note, carbon for bars is fine, until you crash hard.
My wife has been crashing carbon bars for years and there has never been a problem. One bike in particular, which she sold to a friend, must have hundreds of falls on the same bars, they're still going strong. :grin:
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

nedrapier wrote:I'd have a pair of Carbon Cowchippers. Pretty much perfect for my need/wants. Bit more flare (not flair, but that as well) than my ally cowbells, - woodchippers not for me.

But the ally cowchippers are already way pricey. I'm not going to spend more than double that for a bar that's 75g lighter, when I'd be sticking it on a Singular Peregrine. If I had an Open UP, maybe, but then if I had the money for an Open UP, $215 on bars wouldn't be a problem either.
It's not about the 75g, it's that they are both stiffer AND more absorbent!
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

johnnystorm wrote:
nedrapier wrote:I'd have a pair of Carbon Cowchippers. Pretty much perfect for my need/wants. Bit more flare (not flair, but that as well) than my ally cowbells, - woodchippers not for me.

It's not about the 75g, it's that they are both stiffer AND more absorbent!
I am building an Open UP, and going for Easton EC70 AX bars - a bit like Cowbells, similar weight, but a bit cheaper (once you add all the tax & duties from importing). They are more than double the price of the Alu version, and only 70g lighter, but I am hoping it will be much more pleasant for long days on bumpy surfaces, although I expect the truth is the right bar tape will be much more important.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/east ... 7C582811UK
Lump

Post by Lump »

ZeroDarkBivi wrote: I am building an Open UP, and going for Easton EC70 AX bars - a bit like Cowbells, similar weight, but a bit cheaper (once you add all the tax & duties from importing). They are more than double the price of the Alu version, and only 70g lighter, but I am hoping it will be much more pleasant for long days on bumpy surfaces, although I expect the truth is the right bar tape will be much more important.
Was looking at those the other day, quite tempted
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Lump wrote:
ZeroDarkBivi wrote: I am building an Open UP, and going for Easton EC70 AX bars - a bit like Cowbells, similar weight, but a bit cheaper (once you add all the tax & duties from importing). They are more than double the price of the Alu version, and only 70g lighter, but I am hoping it will be much more pleasant for long days on bumpy surfaces, although I expect the truth is the right bar tape will be much more important.
Was looking at those the other day, quite tempted
My mate has fitted a set and is happy with them:
https://advntr.cc/easton-ec70-ax-carbon-handlebar/