voodoo_simon

Komoot - experiences

Post by voodoo_simon »

Any experiences of Komoot?

I see you have to pay, so seeing what it’s like before doing so
Chew

Re: Komoot - experiences

Post by Chew »

I quite like it, if you're planning long routes.

Strava is good too, but only likes routes up to a certain distance

YGM
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

I've always felt like i've needed something that makes "it easier for you to experience authentic outdoor adventures"

:|

Suppose it's a step up from Zwift (ride outside you lazy people) biking.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Yeah, I stopped after "know exactly what to expect" and "makes surprises a thing of the past". That would be my whole adventure written off then :smile:. My whole life in fact, come to think of it.

Usual caveats, "each to their own" etc etc. Maybe time for a Komoot-sponsored WRT :wink:.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

"The tech that makes wild things happen" ... the 'dictionary' in my book, lists 'Wild one' as an outdoor poo :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Yeah, I stopped after "know exactly what to expect" and "makes surprises a thing of the past". That would be my whole adventure written off then
I'm with you there Reg. I'm genuinely beginning to think I'm getting too old for all this sh1t. Not in my physical or mental capability but in my ability to understand the thinking behind much of what I see 'out there'. :???:
May the bridges you burn light your way
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:
Yeah, I stopped after "know exactly what to expect" and "makes surprises a thing of the past". That would be my whole adventure written off then
I'm with you there Reg. I'm genuinely beginning to think I'm getting too old for all this sh1t. Not in my physical or mental capability but in my ability to understand the thinking behind much of what I see 'out there'. :???:
I think when you reach mid 40s our 3 score and 10 is approaching quicker than we would like so our patience for things we have never needed is zero (or maybe my kids are right and I'm just getting grumpy)
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Once I'd got it to sync with my Wahoo properly I found I really like it.

Pros:
Same mapping as RWGPS

The auto route generator has a series of cycling types mtb/cycling/pure road. No more road rides with a random ploughed field section dropped in to save 200m.

The surface percentage is a handy guide to what to expect.

Cons:
Rides are private or public , no hidden areas setting that I can see

I get a pop up when someone I follow goes for a ride

RWGPS puts distance markers around the plotted route and this doesn't.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Cheers Chew :-bd

Nice one Mr Storm :grin:
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:
I get what you are saying but this does have a meaningful purpose.

I've used Google maps nav to get me from home to Cambridge. I'm not after adventure, just wanting to save a few gallons of diesel. :wink: Google seems to use any path legal for bikes. So as I go through Rumburgh it tries to send me through a ploughed field to cut off a corner as the field has a bridleway.

I had similar problems with RWGPS as the Harling Drove through Thetford is a continual path but sections are alternates of tarmac/dirt depending on whether there are houses along the stretch. Fine on the mtb, a ballache on the road bike!

With komoot you can get the route generator to try and use as much off-road trails, a mixture to minimise main roads when on tarmac or pure smooth roads. If I feel stuck in a rut locally it can be a good way to throw a route together that's a surprise where it takes you, but not a surprise that you find yourself on the wrong bike!