Another Spot moan (sort of)

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

barney

Another Spot moan (sort of)

Post by barney »

I like the service Spot offer (especially as a rider with a disability) however I can't justify the hike especially given I don't ride as often as I used to.

I've really got no option but to cancel my subscription before it auto-renews in May.

I can't really afford another tracker/contract and was thinking of getting a cheap old fashioned not-so-smart phone on a pay as you go contract just to keep in the event of an incident and I have a mobile signal.

Does anyone else have similar cheap solutions to an inexpensive tracking/emergency call problem?

cheers
Wait for me...
slarge

Re: Another Spot moan (sort of)

Post by slarge »

Spot will give you a 60 euro reduction when you cancel, but if it is still too much then there are a few threads on here for the Garmin option and someone else's option.

Spot do a monthly option as well I think
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Cyanide pill embedded in my tooth ... you can only use it once mind.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

I have one of these PLBs as a shtf get international rescue type thing. Anything less than needing that I'd crawl and drag myself to help. Of course you need to be conscious to use it.

I actually got it for work, though cunningly timed just before a 2 week solo hiking trip to east Greenland
:???:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/McMurdo-FastFi ... B008OPJGBC

I use my smart phone for photos, navigation (maverick app) and other stuff (backed up with printed off strip map on long trips on unfamiliar ground), but I do also have £10 tesco text and call pay as you go jobbie as back up on longer trips. Battery lasts a silly amount of time.

Smartphone on airplane mode, with screen only on when needed lasts 2days even with strava tracking and maverick app running (a power pack will recharge 3 times).

The cheapo tesco phone is in case I drop and break the smart phone, though since I've started carrying it in a plastic bag around my neck its not been so likely! Bounced out my bib shorts once on a fast downhill on a rocky track and for some reason it went a bit doo lally after that :lol:
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:Cyanide pill embedded in my tooth ... you can only use it once mind.
You can use it multiple times if Buddhist
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

:grin:
May the bridges you burn light your way
landel

Post by landel »

SPOT do an 'On Demand' option now as well. Got the link on here previously. There is an offer at the moment, $25 for 3 days and $5 per day after that. The normal price is $45 for 3 days and $10 per extra day.

https://www.findmespot.com/OnDemand/lander.php
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:Cyanide pill embedded in my tooth ... you can only use it once mind.
What if you faceplant and loose the tooth whilst being hideously mangled at the same time? Or am I over worrying?
Last edited by Ray Young on Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Unless I'm going to have the good fortune to go somewhere really remote I'm going to use Google maps locations. You can share your location anywhere from an hour to permanently. I realise it depends on being in mobile signal but I noticed that I had 4G just about everywhere when I was doing the Café Racer.

A cheapo payg on another network would only be another tenner invested.

Three do a free SIM with 200mb a month and something like a blackview a7 is about 30 quid.
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

johnnystorm wrote:Unless I'm going to have the good fortune to go somewhere really remote I'm going to use Google maps locations. You can share your location anywhere from an hour to permanently. I realise it depends on being in mobile signal but I noticed that I had 4G just about everywhere when I was doing the Café Racer.

A cheapo payg on another network would only be another tenner invested.

Three do a free SIM with 200mb a month and something like a blackview a7 is about 30 quid.
it's for those times when going somewhere remote that a tracker is useful; accidents can and do happen at the most unfortunate location.
there are a few events were a tracker is compulsory; though appreciate one may rent a tracker.
rich.mike

Post by rich.mike »

For a real emergency option lets not pretend we don't all need this! http://www.ernestjones.co.uk/webstore/d ... gJ8L_D_BwE!
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

There are plenty of free trackers for smart phones free (with adds) to download.
For the last 6 months I've been using one but recently it's kept crashing and I can't see it in the play store anymore so I won't recommend that one.
But there are plenty out there.
I now use Google maps as that has a share function on it and you can send a free text to SWMBO or anyone else you like so they can follow your progress.
Of course it doesn't work without a phone signal but at least it's free and without pop up adverts
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

There’s various find-my-phone/tracker/stalker apps. Life360 is fairly reliable, we use it at work.

You can create a group who can track each other. Can set areas to name and setup alerts when someone arrived at or leaves them.

But as above it needs a data signal to work.
Jurassic pusher

Post by Jurassic pusher »

rich.mike wrote:For a real emergency option lets not pretend we don't all need this! http://www.ernestjones.co.uk/webstore/d ... gJ8L_D_BwE!
Fourteen and a half Grand for a watch!! I would make sure I went somewhere remote enough to need it! :roll:
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

You have two options
Bottle of Malt you have to ask.
£35/week https://sites.google.com/site/balloonne ... pment-hire
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Jurassic pusher wrote:
rich.mike wrote:For a real emergency option lets not pretend we don't all need this! http://www.ernestjones.co.uk/webstore/d ... gJ8L_D_BwE!
Fourteen and a half Grand for a watch!! I would make sure I went somewhere remote enough to need it! :roll:
I'd rather use the money to "go somewhere remote".