Anyone using a softshell?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Ray Young

Anyone using a softshell?

Post by Ray Young »

As it's my birthday soon and also time I bit the bullet and bought some decent waterproofing (i'm generally a tight fisted bugger but fed up of waterproofs that don't last) I was thinking of treating myself to a Rab Vapour-rise Trail softshell jacket and combining it with a quality waterproof shell jacket. Anybody got any experience of softshells?
griffdowg

Re: Anyone using a softshell?

Post by griffdowg »

yes. they are not waterproof! Well, they didn't use to be. Some of the newer stuff like gore 'active' would be worth a look but traditionally softshells are water/wind resistant.

Good for drizzle. Good for a few hours. Not good for ALL day in the rain, get gore-tex or event.

I have had a North Face SS for the last 6 or 7 years and it has been great. Its not insulated in the slightest but it is windstopper and has a hood. Its light, got good pockets and I used it most of the year around. If its getting cold I can get a microfleece under it which helps push it in towards winter.

Have a think about what you want it to do and how its going to compliment your other kit. My 1st one was insulated and heavy. I found I never wore it so got shot of it.

food of thought.

G
Stevemorg

Post by Stevemorg »

I love my Rab VR - use it in light rain without any problems and it still keeps me warm and comfortable if its pissing down. 6 years old and it's still going strong - its a really useful top and is probably my favourite bit of clothing for walking and mountain biking
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

The one i'm looking at is water repellant, i'm thinking off adding an Outdoor Research Helium 2 pertex shell jacket for proper water proofing. I would then have a base layer, softshell layer and waterproof outer shell which i could mix and match to suite the conditions. I've looked at event and gortex but i could probably only afford the outer shell. I will keep looking on for stuff in sales though.
chris n

Post by chris n »

My Endura Stealth soft shell is my main winter riding jacket. It's very warm and unless the temps are close to freezing I only need a base layer underneath - it's quite well vented though. It is pretty much waterproof, but if it looks like it'll rain all day I'll wear a waterproof instead. I don't take both on rides though - the Stealth is enough on it's own most of the time. I've had it for four years so far and other than the colour fading a bit it's still going strong.
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Right, been thinking hard about this and have decided I can live without a soft shell but not a waterproof so am going for the best I can afford, a Rab Demand smock made of eVent. Just waiting for the new plastic to arrive in the post.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Good choice on the waterproof Ray, love mine ;)
May the bridges you burn light your way
simon72

Post by simon72 »

Been reading this thread with interest as I need a waterproof shell.

I was considering a Rab Latok Alpine or a Rab Demand. The Alpine seems more bulky, although I like the full length zip.

I found a Latok Alpine XL for £140 (RRP £210) if anyone is interested?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RAB-LATOK-ALP ... 759wt_1397

Also I saw a Rab demand for £80 (RRP £150) at Go Outdoors however you have to collect in store.
http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/rab-demand-pull-on-p148591

In the end however I decided to go for a Outdoor Research Helium II from GO Outdoors for £60 (Half price!) http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/outdoor-res ... et-p215917

This seems to be very lightweight, packs down small and was cheap.
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

simon72 wrote: Also I saw a Rab demand for £80 (RRP £150) at Go Outdoors however you have to collect in store.
They only have XXL and you can only get it at Edgeware Road in London!!! :roll:

I too thought of getting the Helium but Rab stuff and eVent just gets such good reviews.
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Well I didn't get the Rab after all. What I did get though, from Nevisport, is a Berghaus Etive shell jacket in Gore Tex Paclite for £138 reduced from £185 so i'm well happy with that. :D .