Loaded bike weight

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

wriggles

Re: Loaded bike weight

Post by wriggles »

2720 gms for frame and BB is heavy. My Ti Singular Pegasus (L) is 1780 gms. Carbon would be lighter still (1400 - 1500 gms). Bars are also pretty heavy.
Edit: just seen Whitestones post. My lynskey on one Ti29er was 1720 gms, but got to add the chain tensioning method, so 1800 with tugs (the Pegasus includes the ebb)
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Think I'd just put some gears on :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Are you weighing the components and parts on one set of scales and the whole bike on another? Might be worth calibrating both scales to at least be correct (ish) with respect to each other. Use something like a bag of sugar or flour that is a known weight. All scales have a margin of error, consumer models especially, they also have an optimum range so a weighing scale that is good for sub 1kg measurements won't necessarily be good for items in the 10kg range and vice versa.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:Think I'd just put some gears on :wink:
That's hardly TLS though :wink: That's more like TMG (take more gears) :lol:

I should say that the weight of my bike has only been on my mind as I'm sure I weighed it a few months back and it was about 24lbs, the addition of the Jones bars and Brooks C15 seem to have added 3lb even though the extra weight is only just over 1lb? So it's just the engineer in me curious as why the sums don't seem to work and the breakdown comes to less than the final product :geek:

In the end the weight of the bike is what it is and I'll still be riding it. To some extent the weight of bikes is like the power output of the off-roaders I used to race. Wandering around the padock before an event my fellow drivers would mock (in a friendly way, we all got along much like this place) my pitiful 120bhp diesel and brag about their 300+ bhp V8 petrols, they were less vocal when I beat them either on outright speed or because they'd broken down. There's more to coving ground off road in a hurry than outright power, or bike weight, or even the number of gears you have :wink:
Last edited by sean_iow on Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

@OP...I don't have issue getting her over a gate/fence unless I'm really tired, at which point it might take a couple of attempts. Having the weight distributed evenly across the bike helps.

@gramcounters...a very quick lookup against Seans list has my Lois at just under 9Kg (sub 20lbs) although I'd say 9.5-10Kg is probably closer to the mark when you add in sundries (cages, bottles, sealant, grease, helitape). Coupled with my luggage/sleep kit/spares at a smidge under 4Kg...I'm happy to squeeze in under 14Kg loaded for a all-year-round setup.

Add water, food, phone, Etrex, lights, SPOT, feedbag, batteries...weight starts to climb further. She does tend to get incredulous looks and comments of "geez that's light", "jammy bastard" or other fruitier phrases when lifted by others. Plenty of "Is that Ti?" as well (no she's not apart from spindles and bolts).

IIRC, on the Scales of Shame @ WRT the setup was somewhere about ~18.5Kg - that's with my waist pack added to the equation, although I've dialled that back from 6 to 4L capacity to TLS.

Just the fat bastard acting as engine on top of all this that needs a good sorting.

Greetz

S.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

he weight of mike
I often wonder about this too.
May the bridges you burn light your way
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Now corrected :oops: The weight of Mike is for the Fat Fighters thread and not for me to comment on, but I can say I'll not be carrying him with me :smile:

Back OT, what happens to all the sealant that goes into the tyres? I put some in then they were first set up and I've topped them up again since. So say 50ml each to start with and another 30ml on top up is 160ml, as it's water based lets call that 160g. Does it just get absorbed into the tyre or does the water work it's way through? On my Schwalbe's it must goes through the tyre as it bubbles up/sweats on the outside but I've not noticed that with the Maxxis.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

Every time I've taken a tyre off Lois, there's a film all the way around the inside, which I'm guessing is where quite a bit disappears to once the solution dries. I get sidewall sweating on WTB 60tpi tyres too, especially the Nine Lines and Nanos.

Thanks for the reminder to refill - I lost a bunch crossing Hafren on the Winter Event courtesy of a tiny hole that wouldn't seal until all the water squeezed out.

Greetz

S.