The one bike conundrum

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Laurensdad

The one bike conundrum

Post by Laurensdad »

A recent change in work arrangements has upped the bike commute distance and frequency. I'm moments from clicking go on a bike that will do the 18mile each way commute on 700 x32's and then accommodate 27.5 x 1.9/2 ish tyres for more offroad trail stuff. Anyone got any experiences of a similar setup? Cheers Phil
@philg1971 Instagram
ZeroDarkBivi

Re: The one bike conundrum

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

Sounds like a sensible choice; WTB 650b Byeway tyres (47mm) should see you good on road and non-technical, dry off-road.
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Salsa Fargo would be my choice, mainly because I have one. It’s a lovely thing. A couple of wheel sets and your good. If you’re near Oxfordshire or at the winter event you’re welcome to have a spin.
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

BigdummySteve wrote:Salsa Fargo would be my choice, mainly because I have one. It’s a lovely thing. A couple of wheel sets and your good. If you’re near Oxfordshire or at the winter event you’re welcome to have a spin.
I commute on my Fargo and it's a right leaden lump compared to my Arkose. A fraction of the cost too now that Salsa prices have got silly.
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Yes but it’s a proper mountain bike in disguise.
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

Salsa Marrakesh. I was looking at these a couple of days ago and found this blog http://bikepacker.com/mission-part-2/ The bloke is running 2.1 tyres on it.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

BigdummySteve wrote:Salsa Fargo would be my choice, mainly because I have one. It’s a lovely thing. A couple of wheel sets and your good. If you’re near Oxfordshire or at the winter event you’re welcome to have a spin.
Do a 7 mike commute each way on my Salsa El Mariachi and then ride it on the ‘weekends’ too, cracking bike. Shame they don’t make it anymore (so not a helpful comment)

Specialized Diverge? Friend has one with 24mm tyres, pretty rapid to be fair and it can take up to 40mm tyres too (in the 700 flavour).
Drliamski

Post by Drliamski »

voodoo_simon wrote:
Do a 7 mike commute each way on my Salsa El Mariachi and then ride it on the ‘weekends’ too, cracking bike. Shame they don’t make it anymore (so not a helpful comment)

Specialized Diverge? Friend has one with 24mm tyres, pretty rapid to be fair and it can take up to 40mm tyres too (in the 700 flavour).
Any pictures of it built up?
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

How about a Specialized sequoia?
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

BigdummySteve wrote:Yes but it’s a proper mountain bike in disguise.
Very true, but my 38-40c tyres look lost in it. 32c road tyres will have the pedals dragging on the corners!
ootini

Post by ootini »

Laurensdad wrote:A recent change in work arrangements has upped the bike commute distance and frequency. I'm moments from clicking go on a bike that will do the 18mile each way commute on 700 x32's and then accommodate 27.5 x 1.9/2 ish tyres for more offroad trail stuff. Anyone got any experiences of a similar setup? Cheers Phil
Kind of. I had the same idea and wanted to achieve the same thing. It seemed obvious that you can put skinny tyres on a big frame, but not big tyres on a skinny frame. Plus, I was on a budget. So, I took my 27.5 hardtail, made it rigid, then grabbed a second set of wheels for my commuter tyres. I could go and push very skinny 700c wheels in to the frame, but stuck with 27.5 2" commuter style tyres (Schwalbe hurricanes).

I could also spend some money and do a drop bar conversion, but right now, I'm happy with my Og bars.
psling

Post by psling »

Compromises are always compromises. Whilst I get the one bike / multi wheels idea the reality never really works, especially if you are a regular commuter and your commute is on road.

I can't be doing with swapping wheels, adjusting brakes, compromising on ride position between road commute and off-road trekking, faffing with saddle bags, lights, etc.
My commute bike is a road bike, it has road tyres (max 28mm), mud guards, rim brakes, decent but not top-end gearing, saddle bag with repair kit always fitted, lights attached and ready to go; it goes for miles and miles with the occasional wipe down and lube and is always ready to just grab and go. I don't have to spend time swapping parts out between rides.
Makes life a lot easier and that bike probably cost less than a decent set of wheels and tyres...

(Mind you, I do sometimes grab a hardtail for the commute and take the scenic route home :cool: )
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.