Where too start?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

nrimmer1005

Where too start?

Post by nrimmer1005 »

I'm new to bikepacking and hoped to get a little help and advice from people across the internet.

I've done a few long distance Audax rides and wanted to venture into something similar but also different. I have a trip planned for end of May

Glasgow - Oban - Hebridean Way.

I'm after some help with resources about where I could do some practice one night rides based from or around Towcester (Northamptonshire) area.

Also any kit advice would be grateful
I have
Bike - Specialized Roubaix with gravel handlebar (Alpkit Mud Bombers) and will have gravel/road tyres fitted soon.

Quechua Ultra lightweight hiker tent, sleeping bag and lightweight mat.

My main shortage is bags, although I do have a Lomo 13L seat bag ordered.

Everything else is to be decided on as yet.
New Blog - https://ouryearmicroadventuring.blogspot.co.uk/

Instagram - @neilrimmer1005
Richpips

Re: Where too start?

Post by Richpips »

Welcome.

Sounds like you have most of the stuff you might need already.

I don't know your locale, but the general idea is set up camp late and leave early and you'll be fine.
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

nrimmer1005 wrote:
I'm after some help with resources about where I could do some practice one night rides based from or around Towcester (Northamptonshire) area.
Just had a look on bridlewaymaps.com, there doesn't seem to be too much around Towcester. Why not head over towards Bedford, St Neots, Cambridge area? I ride over that way sometimes and campsite if I'm taking a tent or bivy bag if roughing it.

I find Bridlewaymaps.com is handy for planning a rough route, after that I get the OS maps out and plan it properly (Bing maps has an OS layer). Work out which pub you want to go to, whether you want to rough camp or campsite and take it from there.

Do you have a Garmin and any OS maps? I'm guessing not but use Basecamp if you do.
Chew

Post by Chew »

Main bit of advice is just get out there :-bd

I’d try and plan in one small ride each month before you go (perhaps BAM?)
First trip just stay local. Ride somewhere you already know and if something goes wrong you can be home in an hour.
You’ll be surprised how much you’ll learn on your first trip

Next trip just go somewhere a bit further and into the unknown and just keep on building up.
As you learn you may have other ideas on kit but that will come in time.
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

You could pick up the grand union tow path heading towards Bugbrooke, I’ve used this site for an after work bivvy.
ImageUntitled by steve norris, on Flickr

its i nice sheltered spot surrounded by trees, i spent an enjoyable evening there when storm Brian came through :-bd
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

If you don't have them already, invest in a few OS maps (real paper ones) covering a 30 mile radius, you'll be surprised what's round you that you never knew about.
May the bridges you burn light your way
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

As stu says maps are key , although I tend to use electronic maps paper is good as you can see a larger area. Bikehike is a good online mapping tool, you can have the map open and a satellite view as well, useful for seeing if the site/route is as nice as it looks on the map.

Looking on the OS maps the silverstone area seems promising, lots of woods with trails running through them.

RIP

Post by RIP »

Yep, loads bridleways south of Towcester (local first as Chew says, in unlikely case you need to bail).

In fact one leads straight out of town through Wood Burcote and Whittlebury to Buck1ngh@m Th1ck C0pse which looks ideal! Even got a stream for your morning tea :-bd.

Tempted to come up actually.... not far from Leighton Buzzard of course....
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

RIP wrote: Tempted to come up actually.... not far from Leighton Buzzard of course....
It does look tempting for a bit of exploration, within striking distance for me as well :-bd

RIP

Post by RIP »

'1005 - don't forget dash4it have 40% off at the moment so you could, as Stu says, "invest in a few OS maps" & just nose around - Explorer Active 207 would be a good 'un.

I was thinking about "doing the Peaks" yet again for my February BaM, but this would be a hell of a lot cheaper (postie just been... :cry:) and a "local ride for local people, Tubbs". Of course you may be wishing to explore in the privacy of your own company :smile:, but I was looking at Fri Feb 1st if anybody - hi Steve mate - fancies a toddle around, quick beer maybe, whatever... I would imagine the gloop factor is fairly high round those bridleways this time of year :grin:. Might come up on train to Northampton. Anyway, as I say, I don't want to hijack your ideas '1005, so over to you chap!

'Reg"
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
99percentchimp

Post by 99percentchimp »

I grew up in Silverstone for a bit years ago and I would think Bucknell and Hazelborogh Woods would offer up a cheeky bivi site in the woods; we used to roam around them for hours.
There are brideways/BOATS through there so legit riding too... big enough to disappear into for a late night/early start.
Conquistador of the pointless
https://www.flickr.com/photos/99percentchimp/
nrimmer1005

Post by nrimmer1005 »

Wow, thanks for all the great advice loads to take in.

Going to try a solo for my first attempt which TBH isn't probably going to be until mid/end February.

Already use the Explorer map 207 so that will help me loads.

Lots of local woodland to not "get caught" in

Badger22

Post by Badger22 »

All the Alpkit fits well on the Roubaix. What size tyres are you looking at fitting? I am thinking of fitting an off road tyre. Using 28c 4 seasons do you think it would take a 32?
nrimmer1005

Post by nrimmer1005 »

I was thinking the Panaracer Gravel Kings at 28mm but also looking into 30/32 just can't find a set that is good for road and gravel at a price I want to pay

nrimmer1005

Post by nrimmer1005 »

Does anyone have any idea if this is any good

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ROSWHEEL-Bic ... SwIVhaMJlG

Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Not used one or seen one in the flesh. It might be good or it might not but at less than twenty quid, I certainly factor in buying another drybag with a little more pedigree.
psling

Post by psling »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:
Not used one or seen one in the flesh. It might be good or it might not but at less than twenty quid, I certainly factor in buying another drybag with a little more pedigree.
It also appears to be fixed to the bike by just two loops around the bars which suggests it won't be very stable (it'll bump up and down over every lump in the trail); you could achieve the same with any dry bag and a couple of straps.
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

No, but perhaps the fact that the seller has put lots of pictures of people using other bar bags in the listing is a clue :???:
Chew

Post by Chew »

nrimmer1005 wrote:Does anyone have any idea if this is any good

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ROSWHEEL-Bic ... SwIVhaMJlG
While it may seem tempting to buy cheap stuff when starting out it can often lead to a false economy.

Ok, some stuff can seem expensive, but it works as it should and worst case you can generally get your money back on things if you buy something proven second hand, or easily recoup the cash from buying new.

Its noticeable that certain things rarely come up in the classifies and when they do they dont stay on there long.
nrimmer1005

Post by nrimmer1005 »

Glad I haven't bought one then LoL

Currently have Lomo Seat Bag which has arrived and is quite impressive if not a little wobbly when empty so just need to fill to see if that stabilises, if not I'll resell and look at the Ortliebs as I have there seat bag on my other bike and that is very rigid but too small.

Explorer Frame bag from Amazon looks promising?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01 ... UTF8&psc=1

But maybe need to consider more expense for a more "dry bag" style frame bag

Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'll resell and look at the Ortliebs
Most wobbly seatpack I've ever tried. The thing is just far too big. If you prize stability above all, have a look at Wildcat.