HT550 - the 2018 edition.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

whitestone

Re: HT550 - the 2018 edition.

Post by whitestone »

landel wrote:I didn't get a place in the group start but I'm going to do an ITT, probably starting Mon May 21st. Currently working out the finer details. I'll be using a GPS device but I saw mention on here about a paper map, ideally pretty packable? I'd like to take this along to have a good overview of where I am. Appreciate the help :-bd
Ian Fitz did some PDFs of the route that Alan posted a link to for last year's starters. Drop Ian a PM and he'll let you have the URI. You'll have to print them yourself but they'll take a lot less room than the equivalent OS maps would. I've just checked and the maps are still there, 20 in all. Obviously the change talked about earlier in the thread isn't there but it's fairly obvious where to leave the road and then there's only the one track.

Edit: There were one or two diversions last year for various reasons. I've not heard of any updates on them.
1. When heading down from Loch Pattack (after Ben Alder) there's a hydro-electric scheme going in so there's a bit of a loop away from the river.
2. Duchally Lodge at the end of Glen Cassley. When the tarmac runs out there's a locked gate (thanks to a well known businessman) so turn left, go down to the river and there's a path between river and fence. It's a case of going left then straight on rather than straight on then left. http://streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=238865 ... &A=Y&Z=120
3. The soldier's bridge in Ft William. This was being repaired/renovated last year but that work should have finished. http://streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=211956 ... &A=Y&Z=115
Last edited by whitestone on Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
landel

Post by landel »

Great stuff will do. Thanks very much.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

The Soldiers Bridge is, indeed, open again.
audierneux

Post by audierneux »

Thought I'd say hello as this is the place for all things HT550, I'll be taking part in the 2018 edition! Bit of a roadie, turning mountain biker on the edges. Taken part in three TCRs so distance is no problem but this will be something new and different. Tickets booked, various pieces of bike are on the way...

See you in Scotland!

- Nelson Trees
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Hi Nelson, welcome :smile: there is everything you could ever want to know about the HT550 here and probably things you wouldn't want to know as well :lol:

See you at the start.

Sean
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

whitestone wrote: 2. Duchally Lodge at the end of Glen Cassley. When the tarmac runs out there's a locked gate (thanks to a well known businessman) so turn left, go down to the river and there's a path between river and fence. It's a case of going left then straight on rather than straight on then left. http://streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=238865 ... &A=Y&Z=120
Ped gate in place now so original route back in use
allmtnbiker

Post by allmtnbiker »

Hey All !!

Are we all ready?
#ridedontstop
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Just fitted new tires, discs, pads, bb, freehub bearings and pedals to the bike. The chain, chainring and cog had to go on early as the existing failed a couple of weeks back. That lot was all worn out after a winter of riding. Time left to get some rides in to make sure all the new parts are OK and then just pack it all up and cram it in the car for the trip to Scotland :smile:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger