Bearlegged

Re: Silk Road Mtb Race

Post by Bearlegged »

Looks slightly terrifying.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bmoc23yBvUK/
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

Yeah, there was a neutralised start for so a certain distance.

Pretty sure he said on the podcast that there were a couple of 300km sections without resupply, not 500miles, but could be wrong.

There are a few passes that are definite HAB for anyone.

Also think he said the ideal would be something like 2.1 tyres, but again can't remember if I've mixed that with something else.

The podcasts really are worth a listen for the detail. Been listening and watching that much stuff lately in my confinement that a lot has blurred into one!

They did spread out real quick though eh? Jay is at 322km with the back marker of the last group at 80km. Well actually one at 11km which is I guess worrying after that time period :???:
Last edited by Moder-dye on Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
techno

Post by techno »

This is from their Instagram, might go some way to explain the spread of the field:
"A sudden and severe snowstorm, which started late afternoon stopped many of the contestants on their way to the first high peak of the parcours: the 3,780m Kegety pass.
While part of the riders in the front of the field managed to get through, many decided to camp at the bottom to wait out the storm"
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

I think that Instagram post kind of summarises some of the challenge of the race! Not an easy start eh?!
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

I must admit, I sort of draw the line at "moderate chance of dying" events. I enjoy a challenge, but I aint leaving my wife a widow pushing on when I shouldn't on a bike ride.
wriggles

Post by wriggles »

Podcasts are a really good listen.... https://www.silkroadmountainrace.cc/podcast2018
jameso

Post by jameso »

Richard G wrote:I must admit, I sort of draw the line at "moderate chance of dying" events. I enjoy a challenge, but I aint leaving my wife a widow pushing on when I shouldn't on a bike ride.
Unless you're truly daft in the mountains I think UK roads are far more likely to do you some harm? 3700m with the right kit shouldn't be anything beyond challenging and a bit uncomfortable at times. At worst, a cold and exposed bivi then backtracking.

3700 is high though. Makes me appreciate why the adventure syndicate lot were out there early. Good aclimatisation could put you a long way ahead on day 1-2.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

I'd have thought a severe snowstorm at those altitudes a lot more likely to kill me than your average UK road. That's why I definitely wouldn't be trying to push through it.
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

+1 for the podcasts. New one out today :-bd
wriggles

Post by wriggles »

Yeah number 4 release today is a brilliant listen :-bd
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

jameso wrote:
3700 is high though. Makes me appreciate why the adventure syndicate lot were out there early. Good aclimatisation could put you a long way ahead on day 1-2.
And days 3, 4, 5... The value of proper acclimatisation over 3000m can't be over-stressed.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

What height does it start at?

Edit - Ahh, low. I assume they must have been acclimatising at nearby elevation rather than at the start then. Just looked at the route, the first climb is hilarious. :lol:
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Rickie Cotter for SPOTY, what a gesture!
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Unless you're truly daft in the mountains I think UK roads are far more likely to do you some harm? 3700m with the right kit shouldn't be anything beyond challenging and a bit uncomfortable at times. At worst, a cold and exposed bivi then backtracking.
Absolutely. Death on the road is likely to be swift with no warning or prelude. Death in the mountains is more likely to be slow and creeping - with the right skills, it's a bullet you have a far greater chance of dodging ... and on that cheery note. :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Again, to be clear... I was talking about choosing to venture into a snowstorm in the mountains.
pistonbroke wrote:Rickie Cotter for SPOTY, what a gesture!
What's this?
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

She was sat on the start line with 15 mins to go and heard of another rider who couldn't start as her bike was still in the UK having failed to be loaded on the flight so she said, sod it I'll wait with the other girl and set off when her bike arrives so she isn't riding alone. They're under way and trying to get to the first checkpoint before the cutoff. It was in the Podcast #4.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Nice... and yeah, the bike thing is always a fear. It's why I refuse to use FlyBe (I know it can happen with anyone, but I've heard of them doing it a lot).
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

Richard G wrote:Nice... and yeah, the bike thing is always a fear. It's why I refuse to use FlyBe (I know it can happen with anyone, but I've heard of them doing it a lot).
In Shetland we called FlyBe ( who provided our lifeline service) FlyMaybe due to their fantastic service :roll:

I don't know if it's standard with all airlines, but they always said they couldn't guarantee your bike will go on your flight and if it didn't it'd go on the next flight. It's always put me off as I'd like to take my bike from here to Norway one summer, but the next flight would be 3 days later if it didn't go with me :lol:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I was talking about choosing to venture into a snowstorm in the mountains.
Yeah, well you're not going to die instantly ... unlike getting hit by an 8 wheeler that's doing 50 :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
jameso

Post by jameso »

Richard G wrote:Again, to be clear... I was talking about choosing to venture into a snowstorm in the mountains.
Got it, I misread you saying 'events' as something about the whole thing rather than the bit about carrying on into a snowstorm. Without good kit I think that could count as 'truly daft in the mountains' :grin:
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:
I was talking about choosing to venture into a snowstorm in the mountains.
Yeah, well you're not going to die instantly ... unlike getting hit by an 8 wheeler that's doing 50 :wink:
Significantly less time to reflect on how stupid your choice was with the latter though. :P
mountainbaker

Post by mountainbaker »

What's going on with Lee C? She's missed a turning and gone way up a valley...
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

mountainbaker wrote:What's going on with Lee C? She's missed a turning and gone way up a valley...
I remember watching Paul Errington ride across the Baltic into Russia during the Rov 150. Hopefully a spot fubar....
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Hopefully a spot fubar....
Hmmm, seems to follow that ridge/valley quite well... I fear not.
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

IG suggestion is off route for resupply?? Been confirmed she's OK.

She was making good progress closing the gap last night when the rest had stopped, but not now :|