Silk Road Mtb Race

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

wriggles

Re: Silk Road Mtb Race

Post by wriggles »

The pictures coming out, mainly via instagram #srmr01 are just amazing. Podcast 5 is out and worth a listen. There is an interview with Rickie Cotter, just before she and Naomi Freireich started where she explains they intend to take some short cuts to get into the heart of the race quickly and then just enjoy the experience. I think Rickie holding back so Naomi would have company when she set off was a brilliant thing to do. Naomi Freireich has now pulled out due to dietary issues.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Yeah, class act... but then I'd expect nothing less from someone from my neck of the woods. :-bd

Edit - Jay's about to begin what's just about the biggest descent I've ever seen. :shock:
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

wriggles wrote:The pictures coming out, mainly via instagram #srmr01 are just amazing. Podcast 5 is out and worth a listen. There is an interview with Rickie Cotter, just before she and Naomi Freireich started where she explains they intend to take some short cuts to get into the heart of the race quickly and then just enjoy the experience. I think Rickie holding back so Naomi would have company when she set off was a brilliant thing to do. Naomi Freireich has now pulled out due to dietary issues.
Confused - how does that "work" i.e. dropping in and out of a "race"? Might all be explained in the 'casts but not listened to them.

Genuine question from someone who just reads other people wittering about races on here (and quite enjoys it more often than not 8-) )
wriggles

Post by wriggles »

Quite a few people are no longer "racing" for a variety of reasons but just riding the course as a tour for the experience
NewRetroTom

Post by NewRetroTom »

Has anyone started making plans to go and tour the route?

Would this route be suitable without the logistical assistance from the organisers?

Does anyone know the technicalities of getting the necessary visas/permits?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Confused - how does that "work" i.e. dropping in and out of a "race"? Might all be explained in the 'casts but not listened to them.
I think that she may have come to the conclusion that she's 'there to be there' and maybe decided that a head down arse up position isn't her best course of action in this instance ... I get this from reading her blog post about the conflict she was feeling prior to the start.
May the bridges you burn light your way
jameso

Post by jameso »

I get this from reading her blog post about the conflict she was feeling prior to the start.
I can imagine / relate. This area has had my interest for a long time and I'd rather share the experience with others, racing it has no appeal though. tbh the level of media coverage of this event furthers that, but only because I'd want to be out there w/o support and control cars etc - totally understand why that's there for the event though.
Quite a few people are no longer "racing" for a variety of reasons but just riding the course as a tour for the experience
And as a lightly-supported tour it's pretty good value really.
fatbikerbill

Post by fatbikerbill »

Karl is shown as scratched but Giacomo is shown as just about up to the lake by CP2.

anyone know the news ?
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

I wonder where Karl is going.
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

Richard G wrote:I wonder where Karl is going.
Spot message just says they're OK and going off route. A couple of days sunbathing on the lake shore? :???:
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Whereever he's gone, Giacomo isn't with him. Maybe they got sick of each other. :lol:
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

Not surprised by the diet related problems; my enduring memory of (a supported tour in) that part of the world are:

1. Very limited food choices, most of which where honking!
2. Broken glass on all the double-track trails. It must be customary to smash the vodka bottle you have been drinking in the car rather than create a waste problem at home...

TBH, I would like to return - some great terrain - but the food and logistics of a self-supported tour put me off a bit. Especially the food...!
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

I wonder if the food is something one could acclimatise to?
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Some people always seem to struggle with their guts. I'd wager a few weeks there would help though.
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

I expect, given sufficient exposure, you might be able to build up a tolerance to specific bacteria, assuming these are general not localized, a bit like the inevitable bad guts when touring Nepal. However, I don’t think I’d ever get happy with the rancid taste!
gairym

Post by gairym »

fatbikerbill wrote:Karl is shown as scratched but Giacomo is shown as just about up to the lake by CP2.

anyone know the news ?
Update from Giacomo's employer:

Says that he's going well but Karl is no longer riding with him (so not just a tracker problem).

Something about Karl not being well - thankfully no mention of it being anything serious and no cows involved :-bd
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Karl's tracker transmitted a custom message that said

We are going off route. We are okay. Do not worry.

Gutted for him as he's not having much lick this year it would seem :sad:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

I'm assuming he's turned off his tracker at this point, because it's unlikely he's still down by the lake.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

The last posted tracker point was 2:06pm our time outside a hotel in Naryn which is some way north of the lake, so I guess that's where he is now.
gairym

Post by gairym »

That village/town seems to be where all the scratchees and folks who missed the cut-off time area hanging out.

A good place to regroup, lick wounds and swap stories before pushing on to get back (no short distance still to do).
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Ahh, he's moved since I looked earlier. At about 13:00 he was still showing by the lake (with no recent update).

I see Jay only really has one monster climb left.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

There's a big straight line from the lake to the hotel so I guess he's turned the tracker on to let people know he'd ok.

It's quite spread out now, the back of the race is only 700km behind the leader :o
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Psh, are they even trying?
Karl

Post by Karl »

Hi Guys. As predicted I've bailed yesterday. Had a stomach bug and dehydration. Due to little water on the south side of the route we were having to ration our water, compounding the problem. I made the decision to abort and await a pick up and sent Giacomo on his way. I had to wait about 5 hours before being collected but all's well that ends well. Giacomo has arrived in Naryn tonight so good to see him still going strong.

Not my year for racing me thinks but failure is a pathway to success. Roll on BB300.

I'm going to take a few days to rest before touring to the finish.
gairym

Post by gairym »

Bloody good effort for taking that beast on and giving it a crack!!!

The memories of the adventure will be what get you smiling in old age not whether you crossed an imaginary line within an arbitrary time scale.

Chapeau sir!