Winter reading recommendations?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

Re: Winter reading recommendations?

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I've recommended this in the past but 'The crunch of gravel under thrumming tyres' by C A Green is possibly one of the best cycling books I've ever read. There's no grand foreign adventures, no near death experiences or month long trips, yet it captures perfectly why many of us do what we do and what we get from doing it.

Another is (here goes) 'Cycling History No2 Rough Stuff - the pre War cycling diaries of Charlie Chadwick. Edited by David Warner.
May the bridges you burn light your way
techno

Post by techno »

jameso wrote:Thread revival ... been away for a week and took Dervla Murphy's Full Tilt with me. I'm now wondering how I got through so many other cycling/touring books before reading this. Genuinely inspiring and probably the touring book I've enjoyed most so far......,

Image...
Great recommendation James, my copy arrived today, brilliant so far, sample quote from the introduction:
"it was some 15 minutes later when a heavy weight hurled itself at me......Ironically enough I had always thought that there was something faintly comical in the idea of being devoured by wolves.....I pulled my .25 out of my pocket, flicked up the safety-catch and shot the first animal through the skull" :shock:
Robster

Post by Robster »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: I've recommended this in the past but 'The crunch of gravel under thrumming tyres' by C A Green is possibly one of the best cycling books I've ever read.
Tried to get that as a pressie for a friend's 50. Waterstones looked good but failed.Emailedthe publishers, no luck. Anyone know of any shops with a copy or two?

Enjoyed Dave Barter's two books.

Can I recommend travels with boogie by Mark Wallington, especially 500 mile walkies, light read but fun. Also travels with a kayak by Whit Deschner but it may help if you kayak ;-)

Cheers Rob