Schmidt Edelux anyone?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

Schmidt Edelux anyone?

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Just wondering whether any has one / has tried a Schmidt Edelux ... and what do you think?

Views on other road biased dynamo lights also appreciated.

Ta.
May the bridges you burn light your way
whitestone

Re: Schmidt Edelux anyone?

Post by whitestone »

I've the Lumotec Fly https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m2b0s197p10 ... Senso-Plus on my commuter. Generally fine up to somewhere in the 15-20mph range when you don't get the range of vision because of the cut-off but it's good enough for me. It's a very obvious square/rectangular shape to the lit area. About half the output of the Edelux though.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
ctznsmith

Post by ctznsmith »

I haven't had one myself but used to sell them and commuted with a colleague who had one.

Bright, good beam pattern (enough light for fast road riding), well made, limited plastic and 5 year warranty.

However pricey compared to B&M lights.
chris n

Post by chris n »

Lots of good info here: http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/schmidt-headlights.php
I've got the Edelux II - it's really good. Replaced a Luxos U that failed after a couple of years - they have similar light outputs but the Edelux is smaller, better quality and better looking.
Chew

Post by Chew »

I have one on the road bike.

It casts the light downwards to limit any glare up towards on coming cars.
On dark roads it works very well, but compared to other lights its not that strong, so it does get overpowered by others.
Works well at low speed but that could be the Son dynamo its attached to

Cant really complain in general it just works
jameso

Post by jameso »

I have the Edelux II, assume you mean that version / the current one. I really rate it - very good beam pattern and output at any road riding speed or off-road on easy tracks, good light tone.

I did ride down to Turin with a chap this summer who had a B+M IQ-X, that uses the same beam refractor but a 100 Lux output. The Edelux II is 70 or 80. The IQ-X is a fair bit brighter at the same speed (and more blue toned). What I did notice though is that in a way I prefer how my eyes settle into the output of the Edelux II and the lit-up area doesn't overpower the unlit surroundings, whereas the IQ-X was getting so bright that it affected any night vision adjustments or was a bit more 'tunnel' feeling, if that all makes sense? Quite a bit more contast. It wasn't any big deal, just made me think that there's a good level for road night riding and going much above that isn't necessarily better. I'm sure I'd adjust to it anyway - no doubt the IQ-X is a great light.

My Edelux is plugged into SON/Schmitd's rear light, great set up. I think the SP hub may get replaced with an SON and that's the bike all sorted.

https://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/b-- ... ecQAvD_BwE - IQ-X at £77 though .. tempting.
Teetosugars

Post by Teetosugars »

Yup,

I've got one for my Vaya,its great, but i have to admit, I do prefer my Exposure Strada..
It is pretty tho..

Mariner

Post by Mariner »

I had an Edelux 2 which I used with a SON dynamo.

Good light level not cold white if I remember rightly.
Used it bar mounted with a Joystick on my helmet.
Works well off road last time I used it in anger was on SDW about this time last year.
Takes a couple of mins to get fully charged up and will flicker a bit during this period although it does hold a charge for some time once charged.
Gives a good steady light at almost any speed.
Stand light is a lower level but extended time – I think I put up a tent using light from the stand light.
On/Off is a twist ring with an Auto setting for light level activation and they come in a wide range of colours.
Was never quite sure about the bent wire mounting but never used it as had the bar mount.
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I have the Edelux II, assume you mean that version / the current one.
No, it was the first incarnation I was thinking of as it's available with a good discount. From what I can tell, there isn't that much difference between the two.

The other option is a Supernova E3 Pro2 ... available a little cheaper than the discounted Edelux and seems popular with on-line testers.
jameso

Post by jameso »

Edelux 1 vs 2 info here - http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/schmidt-headlights.php

with Edelux 1,2 and Supernova beams here - http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/headlights.php
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Ahh, so it would appear that there is some significant differences between the Edelux and Edelux II. Pushes me towards the Supernova in that case.
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

I've been running one of these on the Camino, Busch & Muller Lumotec IQ2 Luxos U Senso Headlight.

It's a great light and has normal and daytime running modes. It also has a usb output to allow you to charge devices. At different speeds it adjusts the beam patten and you can override with a full beam setting from the supplied button.

I used it on the BB200 along with a a diablo instead of the Revo and it did the job very well.

It lights up from a walking pace and by about 8/9km/h it's a very bright.

Not cheap but but a brilliant upgrade from and older B&M light and off road, pretty much as good as a Revo.