Petzl Reactik + Head Torch - opinions and experiences?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Cheeky Monkey

Petzl Reactik + Head Torch - opinions and experiences?

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

I was idly browsing for a head torch to do some night-time trail running (well, more "plodding" in all honesty). In doing so I came across these fancy Petzl ones:

https://www.petzl.com/GB/en/Sport/PERFO ... ACTIK-PLUS

In their own words:
- the light sensor automatically adjusts brightness and beam pattern, optimizing battery use
i.e. it automatically "senses" where you're looking and what type of light output suits that, so gaze off into the distance and it'll go bright and spotty, glance down to a map and it'll dim and go floody.

I was really skeptical when I first read about it but after some Googling and review reading it seems many people were really impressed with it. I might be late to the party or behind the times but I'd never heard of it before. So, anyone got some real experience of them?

At the moment I'm choosing to studiously ignore that for the price of one of these I could buy three or four Alpkit head-torches :oops:
screescree

Re: Petzl Reactik + Head Torch - opinions and experiences?

Post by screescree »

I had a bike headlight, can't remember the brand, but it supposedly "adjusted to its surroundings". Bloody pain in the arse! If you went by a row of trees, it brightened, dimmed, brightened, dimmed, it couldn't figure out what it needed to do! I won't be using auto-adjusting lights anytime soon. However, this might be better. I still prefer the manual setting, deciding what brightness I want by pressing a button.
“Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of riding a bike” John F Kennedy
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

I've been using it for about 2 years now and love it for those moments when I need a bit more light then one for in and around camp but less for biking in the dark, though with the bright and short nights in Scotland I used it as my only lamp (excl. rear bike lamp) for the HT550 in fair weather 2016. Hardly ever use it in manual mode.

Only time it goes funny is when you aim at reflecting things, so roadsigns are an issue.

Besides that, I can recommend it. Never tested it in very bad weather though.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Only time it goes funny is when you aim at reflecting things, so roadsigns are an issue.
Wonder how it copes with mist?
May the bridges you burn light your way
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:
We had some trial ones of these when they first came out. Clag = not always so well if its very thick but did pretty well most of the time.

Most use if you are working with a map and looking between close and far objects. If you are running on local, well known trails then a more basic head torch will do the job fine
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Did a few ice climbs at nighttime using a Hope Vision 2. There was so much light bouncing around, even on the lowest setting, that you needed to use shades :shock: I think this would be quite useful in those sort of situations.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Steezysix

Post by Steezysix »

As above, had one for over two years and very happy with it. Battery life is good, one charge is easily enough for a week of camping when the low and red light settings are used. Also use it for running and cross country skiing in the winter, I actually prefer the non reactive mode for this as the condensing breath cloud can make the light flicker, as well as the snow, road signs, etc. You can download petzl software that allows you to set different light levels to optimise brightness or battery life as you prefer.

Only thing I don't like is that the strap is fully stitched, so requires the back of the head torch to be taken apart for washing. It's a small issue, would recommend one!
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

I've a Nao+, same idea.

Works fine, and you can override the reactive light settings.

Fog, snow, and heavy winter breathing (mist) screw up the sensor. But I can live with that.
Dovebiker

Post by Dovebiker »

Used daily when walking the dogs in the dark - it's quite effective and they are quite reliable. Not mega-lumens though, so OK for running but not enough throw for higher-paced activities IME. Weekly charge is good enough for 45 minutes for 5 days. Tried numerous others over the years from mega-cheap Chinese (patchy light) to Exposure Versos - unreliable, even after going back to USE twice
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

A quick search came up with this review on UKC - https://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/review.php?id=8723
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
benp1

Post by benp1 »

I think there's an Alpkit knock off version too (surprisingly or not)
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

whitestone wrote:Did a few ice climbs at nighttime using a Hope Vision 2. There was so much light bouncing around, even on the lowest setting, that you needed to use shades :shock: I think this would be quite useful in those sort of situations.
It's as good as it gets for mountaineering imo.
Bearbonesnorm wrote:
We don't do fog in Switzerland and I take fair weather with me when I visit the UK.