Pogies

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Alpinum

Pogies

Post by Alpinum »

Basically, what is there to be considered when getting pogies? What do you like about yours, what do you not like? And why.
Any kind of experience would be much appreciated.

It take ages until my fingers get cold and much longer until I'm uncomfy.
Same goes for my girlfriend (getting some for her too). Coldest riding we see is about -25 °C, regularly anything from -5 - -20 °C. So I'm search of lightweight pogies, no rain, not really everyday use either, but that depends a bit on conditions.

I met a fellow "racer" at the snowbike festival with Wolftooth pogies and he really loved them. I liked their finish much and also the ideas behind them.
https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/pro ... rack-pogie
I'm too convinced they'd be warm enough for my needs. Folding back to adjust to the outside temperature, fixation at the bar end, hardface fabrics, closed cell foam rather than pile fleece for lining - this all seems really good on paper, but does it translate to riding? Perhaps I'm missing something?

When in the Jura with Karl, he used these, if I remember correctly:
https://www.hotpog.co.uk/adventurer-hot ... ike-pogies
They had a fair amount of snow stuck in the lining, but still, toasty everytime is stuck my hands in (in envy of Karl). It seems as if it's not such an issue to get snow into your lining up top...?

What's the main difference in practise between the adventurer and these:
https://www.hotpog.co.uk/basic-hotpog-m ... ike-pogies
? less warm and no zip compartement.
Not waterproof... well I really don't need them to be waterproof.

I too quite like the simplicity of Alpkit's offerings
https://www.alpkit.com/products/bear-paws but then I can make something practically equal myself.
whitestone

Re: Pogies

Post by whitestone »

I got the Alpkit ones for Rovaniemi earlier this year. They were just about OK at -6 but struggled below that. I'd say they were fine for UK winter use where it doesn't generally get properly cold.

My wife used the Revelate ones https://backcountry.scot/product/revela ... aw-pogies/ and didn't have any problems.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I used a pair of Alpkit ones last week for the first time. The X-pac is a nice touch and means they should last years, however as Bob says, I'm not sure they'd be up to the potential conditions you'll face Gian.

The warmer Hot-Pogs would probably be where I'd spend my money in your position. A good balance between performance and cost.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

whitestone wrote:I got the Alpkit ones for Rovaniemi earlier this year. They were just about OK at -6 but struggled below that. I'd say they were fine for UK winter use where it doesn't generally get properly cold.

My wife used the Revelate ones https://backcountry.scot/product/revela ... aw-pogies/ and didn't have any problems.
Bearbonesnorm wrote:I used a pair of Alpkit ones last week for the first time. The X-pac is a nice touch and means they should last years, however as Bob says, I'm not sure they'd be up to the potential conditions you'll face Gian.

The warmer Hot-Pogs would probably be where I'd spend my money in your position. A good balance between performance and cost.
Cheers for that :-bd

Did you both use regular cycling gloves inside 'em?

Hmmm... difficult to say, but I don't think the Wolftooth will be much warmer than the Alpkit. Then I need to ask myself what gloves am I ready to use in pogies.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Did you both use regular cycling gloves inside 'em?
Depending on conditions, I either wear thinn 'summer' gloves or none at all.
May the bridges you burn light your way
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

I was using light fleece gloves. I think my wife was as well or occasionally bare handed.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I've only ever used the basic HotPogs, though I've seen and felt a few others.

In the UK (and I live in the coldest bit of it) they work really well. I usually wear a thin pair of gloves/liner gloves too as taking your hands out of them for any reason (to operate a camera, open a gate, grab a snack) is otherwise a bit of a shock.

They're not waterproof at all and rain will run down your sleeve into the pogie if it's at all heavy. The thin padding soaks this up, though I've contemplated making a couple of small drain holes in the bottom corners.

Falling snow (and snow brushed off bushes in passing) can also get into the wide opening. A narrower opening would reduce this but could make it tougher to get hands in and out. I've bought some thin material to make an over-cover for them and plan to put some elastic in the cuff to reduce the size of the opening). Some sort of coat-hanger stiffener to retain a circular opening might also be deployed.

Many folk say they don't play well with Jones bars due to the angle of entry but I've never found it to be a problem. They do rotate a little though and some of the (heavier) versions from other companies get round this using some sort of bar-end fitting.

In summary, I'm really glad I have them. When it gets really cold, they work well and are much, much cheaper than fannying around trying to find adequate gloves.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Have the arctic hotpog and they keep my hands warm.

Would I buy them again? No!

Sure, they work in that they kept my hands warm but they kept on slipping and you need two hands to tighten the drawcord at the top, massive error there! Snow gets in too! The slipping is annoying and gets worse when you put food into the pockets.

When temps dropped below 10c, I paired up them with some Mountain Equipment Randonee gloves and my hands were warm.

In future, I would opt for a mitt that could be attached on the outside (as well as the inside) of the bar too to stop it slipping down

In short, they work in keeping me warm but had some annoyances to go with.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Can't help but giggle at the HotPog pictures;

Happy rider with pogs on, rider behind in shorts.
Picture of bar setup with pogs and .... a bell.

I am easily amused. I have no more to add to this.
Trail-rat

Post by Trail-rat »

i have the fleece lined neoprene barmitts for the drop bars and the same for the regular bars.

they work well - are reasonably rigid so stay where you put them - self drain the water that runs down your cuff into them.

they do an extreme cold version as well but no experiance with them.

Hotpogs work well enough but i found the barmitts to be better so handed down the hotpogs to the wife - they are still in regular winter use.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Bells are so useful, the general public love them
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

voodoo_simon wrote:Bells are so useful, the general public love them
Reaching said bell with hands cosily ensconced in pogies however....
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

ScotRoutes wrote:
Well put the bell inside then. Err ... :oops:
gairym

Post by gairym »

I've got the 45nrth version and, as with their stuff in general, they're a great design and really high quality but a smidgen over-priced!

Had 'em down to -5°c with no gloves on and think I could go lower but keep in mind that I have very warm hands (regularly ride at zero without gloves if I'm working hard enough and no wind chill).

If you like I could post them over to you to have a play with (once I find them after our second upcoming house move next week)?
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

ScotRoutes wrote:
I see where Greg was going with this.... :oops:
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

I have some hotpogs and they are good for most UK conditions. I normanlly wear a pair of thin or liner gloves underneath them and they are fine, but I live in the sun tropical south! I have worn them in Snowy conditions and they were still fine. They don't fit Jones bars as well as straight bars but they can make you some that are Jones shaped, I had some prototype ones from them and they fitted much better.

I also used some pre-production Alpkit ones. I took them up Snowdon when there was heavy snow last year and they were a much better fit on Jones's. They do have less paddling but the wool affect lining if still very warm.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

I've got the hotpogs with the map pockets on top, really good that feature but....as Simon says, to get the opening tight you have to force your hand in that then pushes the pogie off the grip area. So you have to get your hands in and pull the cords with your teeth. They also need something like a bar plug to hold them in place and some ribs to stop them sitting on your knuckles.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

johnnystorm wrote:So you have to get your hands in and pull the cords with your teeth.
Not what I'm looking for. Stiff cuff seems the way to go. Stiff, to get to the bells easily :-bd
gairym wrote:If you like I could post them over to you to have a play with (once I find them after our second upcoming house move next week)?
Cheers Gairy. I think they are a bit too much for my needs. They seem huge. And first off, I need to send you that UK route :wink:
Dovebiker

Post by Dovebiker »

I have Revelate Williwaws, used with H-bars for my 2 arctic trips of up to 5 days unsupported. They have a bungee attached to a special bar-end plus, so not problem with them slipping around. At -10C they could be used on their own and at -25C and below were OK with a Powerfleece liner glove, didn't even need a chemical handwarmer. 3-D shaped are better for stashing small gear and snacks, or simply keeping your gloves safe. I wouldn't consider the Alpkit ones to be any use for serious cold - not much better than an over-mitt.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Cheers Dovebiker.

Yeah, 3D is probably an important part. Any pressure on tissue with cut blood flow.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

voodoo_simon wrote:
ScotRoutes wrote:
I see where Greg was going with this.... :oops:

I gave you time... to figure it out.

*muffled ding*

Not so good.
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

Neoprene barmitts with summer gloves have beaten of the worst that wales can throw at you but not sure how far beyond -5 they can go.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

As a total other side to this. Consider your bars and grips.Paying attention to how your bike can act as a heat sink for heat from your body will help your overall warmth.

Carbon bars tend not to run as cold as Alu or Ti bars. Silicone grips tend to stop thermal drain as well as being quite comfortable. Larger shoe assumed for warmer socks, but think about the shoe bed, what can you get in there to limit thermal loss to pedals as well.

I've issues during winter with my hands, but am not a pogies fan. Used them paddling for years, always fun when you needed to let go of your blades in a moment of stupidity. Don't get on with them on a bike for similar reasons.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

+1 to that Greg.

I fitted plastic flat pedals (DMR something or other) to my fat bike for Rovaniemi so that they wouldn't be as much of a heat sink though I know some ride with SPDs without problem. I used some mountaineering boots that are a comfy fit and with a thick Vibram sole help against contact heat loss. They also have built in gaiters, 45nrth do insulated gaiters to help keep the lower leg warm.

I have carbon bars with silicone grips. I got the bike from Ian Barrington as a rolling frame and also got the brakes off him - Ian had wrapped the levers in tape to reduce conduction but maybe some thin foam tubing (corn plasters?) might improve things there as well.

In the briefing for the Rovaniemi they mentioned keeping well fed and hydrated as being important, assuming of course that people living in the north of Finland know something about dealing with cold temperatures :wink:
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Maybe not immediately obvious but those TOGS thumb grip things contribute to warmer hands too as you don't have to be gripping your bars so tightly all the time, reducing the heat sink effect that Greg mentions.

I like Lizard Skins DSP tape on my road bars as the "stickiness" of it also reduced how tight you need to grip.