How to go Single Speed

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

mh24

How to go Single Speed

Post by mh24 »

Hey groovers, I have an old Kona Cindercone lurking in the garage and it has sat there doing nothing for years. Could anyone give me a run down on how to get it converted to Single Speed, what I would need and what you reckon it would cost. Thanks gurus. M
chris n

Re: How to go Single Speed

Post by chris n »

danielgroves

Post by danielgroves »

Should be pretty easy, you'll need:

* Singlespeed Chainring (https://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/CROOSS/on- ... -chainring - £20)
* Rear Sprocket (included in below)
* Rear Sprocket Spacer Kit (https://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/SKOOSSKK/o ... verter-kit - £10)
* Chain (https://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/CHSRPC1/sr ... 114-links) - £5)
* Chain Tensioner (https://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/FSOOSSD/on ... -tensioner - £15)

That's a pretty basic kit, but would get you started.
Last edited by danielgroves on Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Adventures and Photography Blog: danielgroves.net/adventures-photography
Twitter: @danielsgroves
Instagram: @danielsgroves
Photography on Facebook: facebook.com/danielgrovesphotography
Photography on Instagram: @danielgrovesphotography
mh24

Post by mh24 »

Thanks for the posts so far - looks like a weekend without my wife and son may give me the chance to get on with things! Anyone fancy child minding the 2 daughters though!!??
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

mh24, in my head, you shall forever be imagined as The Dude

Groove on, and welcome to the wonderful world of singlespeeding. Remember, it's ok to walk.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

I converted an old road bike to SS and used the On-One spacer kit on a set of On-One wheels and it isn't actually wide enough for the lock ring to tighten everything up! Fitting an old cassette spacer ring fixed it.

Edit: I take it you've kind of figured out what gear ratio to go for? When I converted the road bike I did a fair bit of "false singlespeed" on my commutes to get an idea of what would work in my area. Since I was using the existing crank (the bike used to have a hub gear) I was somewhat limited in my end choice.
Last edited by whitestone on Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
mh24

Post by mh24 »

Thanks groover / dude !! A perfect weekend lined up - a couple of beers, old bike on the kitchen table and youtube instructional! Struggle with 11 and 20 gears....one should be interesting - but hey its ok to walk and push and ..... catch a ride on the back of a passing truck. Get them banjo's out!!
danielgroves

Post by danielgroves »

mh24 wrote:Thanks groover / dude !! A perfect weekend lined up - a couple of beers, old bike on the kitchen table and youtube instructional! Struggle with 11 and 20 gears....one should be interesting - but hey its ok to walk and push and ..... catch a ride on the back of a passing truck. Get them banjo's out!!
You've still got a range of gears:

* Standing
* Sitting
* Running
* Walking
* Lying on the floor trying to stuff your lungs back in

I think after 4 years on the SS I've finally perfected the last one.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Backwards. It can happen.
Catbaiter

Post by Catbaiter »

Not sure if this is against the rules, but I'm hawking a single ring crankset (32t) and BB here: http://bearbonesbikepacking.co.uk/phpBB ... =9&t=10940

Mods: Feel free to reprimand me if I've done a bad thing.

p.s. I've heard that having a bike on the kitchen table can really tie a room together man.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

You missed out top gear, my one is mostly used on the road than off road

Pedal as fast as my legs can for about 20s, then I'm knackered and need to coast for a bit of a rest - rinse and repeat

I do like my single speed, I'm doing it on flats, suspect it might help a bit to do it with SPDs but not planning to chance
mh24

Post by mh24 »

To all the groovers out there....I have bitten the bullet and spoken to Charlie The Bike Mongers ...... quite possibly the coolest kids on the block... and have ordered the goods - to arrive in a brown paper bag, addressed to the neighbour in case Mrs Groover finds out what I am up to this weekend - apparently I am meant to be taking the daughters to a climbing wall party.....I think they will see more benefit in the educational and scientific value of how to convert to SS. And they can always help pass the hammer / beer!! Cheers groovers. Say hi to your bike. m
danielgroves

Post by danielgroves »

GregMay wrote:Backwards. It can happen.
I try to forget about the backwards instances. They always end badly for me.
danielgroves

Post by danielgroves »

benp1 wrote:You missed out top gear, my one is mostly used on the road than off road

Pedal as fast as my legs can for about 20s, then I'm knackered and need to coast for a bit of a rest - rinse and repeat

I do like my single speed, I'm doing it on flats, suspect it might help a bit to do it with SPDs but not planning to chance
I do find -- particularly when climbing -- that I pull through my cleats a lot to find the extra power. SPDs are a bit help for me.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

danielgroves wrote:
benp1 wrote:You missed out top gear, my one is mostly used on the road than off road

I do find -- particularly when climbing -- that I pull through my cleats a lot to find the extra power. SPDs are a bit help for me.
On those bits on heaving my bars so hard I'm almost straining my sides. Then I stop in defeat and walk

I've yet to SS in proper hills!