Bikepacking evening wear? Jacket gilet down or synthetic

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

firestarter

Bikepacking evening wear? Jacket gilet down or synthetic

Post by firestarter »

I'm pretty much sorted on the kit I need but I'm just not sure on what to take for the evening whilst sat gassing and drinking whisky :) I've a thin pair of water resistant trousers and a hat, but jacket wise I'm thinking insulated jacket or gilet. to go with my shell cycling jacket. Ideally warm and small packing

The endura flipjak gilet looked OK but I guess any outdoor one would be OK, or am I better with a full jacket, then down or synthetic

Ta
benp1

Re: Bikepacking evening wear? Jacket gilet down or synthetic

Post by benp1 »

There's no right answer for this, depends on the conditions and the place you'll be in the evening (standing up outside or sitting in bothy)

I generally favour synthetic over down given our damp climate, but have both synthetic and down options. I like having a hood too
Single Speed George

Post by Single Speed George »

i do like my patagoia nano puff primaloft jacket, works well in uk for me even in to winter. and desnt mind beeing damp so thats a big pluss for me over down in the uk
firestarter

Post by firestarter »

Just be sat around outside the tent no doubt raining too lol
Matt

Post by Matt »

Stu wrote:Dressing for Dinner should be taken very seriously even if you're covered in crap and kipping in a barn.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

As Ben says, a hood prevents you needing a hat. Sleeves don't add much weight but do add greatly to 'snugglyness', personally I find that if it's warm enough just for a gilet then it's probably warm enough for nothing at all.

I have a few different insulated jackets. The properly warm ones hardly ever get used, the ones that get used most are the thinner, almost insulated mid-layer ones. I like smocks too and fur.

Dressing for Dinner should be taken very seriously even if you're covered in crap and kipping in a barn.
Yes it should ... on my computer, this photo in entitled 'Tw@ts' :-bd

May the bridges you burn light your way
Teetosugars

Post by Teetosugars »

It was so much easier when we just wore Trops, all the time eh?
A windproof and a Stash hat were the only accessories required. :lol:
ctznsmith

Post by ctznsmith »

Generally I've found that if it's raining you won't be sat outside in it and therefore as long as you store/carry it somewhere dry a down jacket is fine even in our damp climate.
firestarter

Post by firestarter »

Nice pics

It certainly was nick but kit wise I'm just about there so fingers crossed we can hit the whisky soon ;)
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

I would generally favour down unless you are likely to need at as an 'on the move spare layer' the are not good at that!
Single Speed George

Post by Single Speed George »

ianfitz wrote:I would generally favour down unless you are likely to need at as an 'on the move spare layer' the are not good at that!
thats why i like my primaloft, if im pushing on in to the small hours i can put it on and use it as a mid layer whilst stumbling and riding through the darkness and cold.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Yep. I have a Montane Prism jacket that's always in my pack and is often the first thing out of it when I stop.
Being synthetic I'm less worried about it going over damp clothing or that it might get more damp as I'm fannying around with the tarp/tent.

Unless it's very cold overnight, it is also my pillow. It folds into its own pocket and you can stuff it a wee bit more if you need more support.
jameso

Post by jameso »

If it stays in with my sleeping bag at all times unless worn off-bike in the evening - down
For general use - primaloft

Generally I'd use a primaloft jacket as I can wear it on the bike in the wet when it can be a real ride-saver, if I can't ride any more as I'm cold I'll get into my bag somewhere sheltered and let the jacket dry off outside the bag as it dries really fast.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

ianfitz wrote:I would generally favour down unless you are likely to need at as an 'on the move spare layer' the are not good at that!
I've a Haglofs insulated wind shirt that I bought from Mark Evans. It's pretty much ideal for on-the-go insulation (I used it in Rovaniemi in February in temps of around -10C for instance)

One of the first things I do when stopping to bivy is once the bivy's up is to get into dry clothes. Putting a down jacket on then isn't at risk of getting damp "from the inside" as it were. You do have to be careful though and if you are tired then it's all too easy to make a simple mistake that gets your "dry" kit wet. Most decent down kit (PHD, etc) uses water/damp resistant cover materials ,though PHD don't currently use hydrophobic down, so a bit of a shower isn't going to have an effect.

If things do get damp then stopping during the day if the sun comes out to dry stuff is well worth doing. Did this at Oykel Bridge Hotel on the Highland Trail as the previous night had been wet and I hadn't got the bivy properly sorted. Got to hotel, slung quilt over the wall outside the bar, had something to eat then repacked.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
slarge

Post by slarge »

Have used a plastic bag before to cover my modesty as my clothes were all hanging up to dry. Was not in company so no eye bleach required, but it was lightweight, dual purpose and dry. Probably wouldn't recommend it though.
firestarter

Post by firestarter »

Cheers all I've just walked around gooutdoors and ended up with a OEX Men's Zenon Ultra LT Down Jacket. Very light and packable which is important with my set up. And it was a sensible price I could justify. It Should be warm and it's meant to shrug off water but tbh it won't get tested it's merely to keep the chill off fingers crossed it works lol. I get 10 percent off too so that's a bonus. I think I'm all set I just need to test pack to see but I think I'm sorted now :)
Artie Fufkin

Post by Artie Fufkin »

When you are decided that you are ready to go, give us a shout and we can sort something out local or a bit further afield to test your setup and my new bike,
Am still based in Leeds if you are!!
Give us a shout, fella.
Adam.
firestarter

Post by firestarter »

Yes I am mate and will do, won't be for a few weeks what with shifts and physio but I'm getting there ;)
Artie Fufkin

Post by Artie Fufkin »

Perfect, that matey!
Need to get my new iron horse up and running, so that'll slot in nicely.
We'll get in touch and sort something out.
See you soon.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Lots of comments on synthetic is better wet and down shouldn't get wet etc etc,

Question, has anyone actually been completely soaked their synthetic layer and thought, this is comfortable/warm?

Likewise, anyone soaked their down (except in a washing machine) and thought, feck, this is useless?

I've had dampish down and never really noticed a drop in performance - my wife has soaked hers in day to day life (not on the hill) and again, still stayed warm and this was before hydrophobic down.

I've also had soaked synthetic insulation and it's not been great - drys quicker than (non hydrophobic) down though but not necessarily warmer when wet?
firestarter

Post by firestarter »

:-bd
Fat tyre kicker

Post by Fat tyre kicker »

I've had completely soaked synthetic gear, in one case Paramo, completely wetted out last winter
On a Peak District jaunt, snow/hail etc, never felt uncomfortable and remained mainly dry...
Also been using Buffalo gear ( I know,I'm on about it again) for 30 years (some same stuff), combo of
Mtn shirt/salopettes/4s sleeping bag, spent many wet wild nights wild camping in mid Wales
And the Lakes/peaks. Never let me down (sorry :grin: )
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

I've a Buffalo Mtn shirt as well as a Paramo jacket and salopettes from my climbing days, while they are great kit the one thing they most definitely aren't is small packing. A pity really, otherwise they'd be just about perfect.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

voodoo_simon wrote: Likewise, anyone soaked their down (except in a washing machine) and thought, feck, this is useless?
Yes, my down sleeping bag managed to get totally soaked at the top of Snowdon one new years, inside a bivvy bag - the wind forced the rain inside....
It was a clump of feathers stuck together in one corner with no insulative properties whatsoever!
Fat tyre kicker

Post by Fat tyre kicker »

Whitestone - my Buffalo superbag is still my go to winter choice, could do with a bob yak
To carry it in though :lol: