Highland Trail 550 - 2018

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

whitestone

Re: HIghland Trail 550 - 2018

Post by whitestone »

Barry Godin's video has made it to bikepacker.com http://bikepacker.com/highland-trail-550-video/
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

I did try to persuade Alan to run the northern loop backwards but he wasn't having it - that said I still think (a bit) more of it would be rideable in this direction....
slarge

Post by slarge »

Rich, it would be a shame to not enter. For me the Htr550 is more a battle with yourself than a battle with other people. 550 miles on 2, 3 or 4 nights sleep is a major challenge of the mind. For the first 3 or 4 years, the completion rate was 30%, and it is in the last year or two that people have got their heads around it. I love the fact that it challenges elite riders and the rest of us in the same way - long may this continue. As you line up on the start line, knowing there is a few big hitters beside you, but knowing that if they break their mind, body or bike then you'll beat them is a great feeling. Enter and keep the spirit alive!
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

Well said Steve.
Backwards is not such a bad idea........
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

Elitist keyboard warriors = Middle packers, non starters or DNFs.
stucowp

Post by stucowp »

Well I was wanting to enter next year but seeing as i've not completed any ITT's this year I quite rightly shouldn't be given a place, but that won't stop me from putting a cheeky entry forward failing that there is plenty of other good options to have a crack at these days and I'm really keen on doing the Borders 350 and BB530 so that should give me more than enough motivation to train through winter.

It must be said it has been nice having a year off just riding for fun and not having any worries about being in peak physical fitness, i could almost get used to it! :lol:
ianpv

Post by ianpv »

...well, me and HTrider managed a single beer after getting the bunkhouse rooms at the Oykel Bridge Hotel after the northern loop this year. Then I slept in 'til 4am the next day, and Bob had got up early and disappeared :o :lol:
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

For whatever reason, that night in the OBH "bothy" was the worst night's sleep I had on the ride. I might have got an hour tops in quarter hour blocks. In the end I just decided to get going and ride steadily to Ullapool in time for the shops.
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

Some rather tetchy bikepackers up in here. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Big :-bd from me for Barry's video, lovely stuff. Almost as good as his Haute Route one :grin: .

Barry :cool:
psling

Post by psling »

postierich wrote: I will ride the route backwards :lol:
You'd have to do it on a fixie Rich and you'll get hell of a crick in the neck... :-bd
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

And if you do it at the same time as the group start, you should meet everyone once. :lol:
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

ScotRoutes wrote:And if you do it at the same time as the group start, you should meet everyone once. :lol:
Unless someone gets lost :-O :roll:
padonbike

Post by padonbike »

I did try to persuade Alan to run the northern loop backwards but he wasn't having it - that said I still think (a bit) more of it would be rideable in this direction....
The Norther Loop is sacred and should be left just how it is. :wink:
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

padonbike wrote:
All of it (downhill) is rideable :wink:

Nik K. didn't seem too happy to have to witness someone riding the peat drop down to An Dubh-loch :lol:

Having ridden it in 2013 and 2016 I think the route has matured into a wonderful loop and hopefully it stays like that for a few years for more folks to enjoy some of Scotlands magic.
That said... it could run on less road...
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Alpinum wrote:Nik K. didn't seem too happy to have to witness someone riding the peat drop down to An Dubh-loch :lol:
Intentionally or did they accidentally commit to it without realising it was there? It's a fair old drop onto a flattish area.
Alpinum wrote:Having ridden it in 2013 and 2016 I think the route has matured into a wonderful loop and hopefully it stays like that for a few years for more folks to enjoy some of Scotlands magic.
Not sure what (sensible) options there are for the tarmac sections. The adoption of the Postie's Path and the Torridon change cut a lot of road out.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

whitestone wrote:
Alpinum wrote:Nik K. didn't seem too happy to have to witness someone riding the peat drop down to An Dubh-loch :lol:
Intentionally or did they accidentally commit to it without realising it was there? It's a fair old drop onto a flattish area.
Alpinum wrote:Having ridden it in 2013 and 2016 I think the route has matured into a wonderful loop and hopefully it stays like that for a few years for more folks to enjoy some of Scotlands magic.
Not sure what (sensible) options there are for the tarmac sections.
Intentionally. I rode up to the lip, had a look at it, went back and dropped off. I can't remember riding out of it though, the rear got stuck in the muck.

Not much sensible there. Not sensible is the new fun. No? :grin:
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Alpinum wrote:Intentionally. I rode up to the lip, had a look at it, went back and dropped off. I can't remember riding out of it though, the rear got stuck in the muck.

Not much sensible there. Not sensible is the new fun. No? :grin:
Looking at the map there's the possibility of avoiding Dornie: when you get to the road at the foot of Glen Ling turn left and head up Glen Elchaig, cut up by the Falls of Glomach then round by the north side of Beinn Fhada over Bealach an Sgairne to pull into Glen Affric just above the YH. I know some of it gets ridden but I don't know what it's like.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

The path by the Falls of Glomach isn't for the feint-hearted :o
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Random thinking

It's an interesting topic (well, sub-topic as it is) but one that I feel will simply go round in circles. Everyone has a point of view and each is as valid as the next. To some degree, they're all different yet I find myself agreeing with comments from across the spectrum. I believe that the bikepacking world not to be elitest yet from the ourside looking in, it must appear terribly so. As interest grows, the fastest riders will naturally gravitate towards the 'hardest' challenges and in doing so, will make them appear more elitest ... the only event where this appears not to have happened in quite the same way, is the TD but that seems to be causng other different, yet similar feelings amongst our community.

Anyway, trying to avoid the cry of 'elitest' is one of the reasons there's no Big Bear group start but in doing that, I know it will never become a popular route or fire peoples imagination in the same way the HT can ... I'm not sure you can have it both ways.

Have videos like like the latest from Barry, books, magazine articles and Trackleaders made the HT 'better' or just turned it into more of a gladiatorial spectacle? ... I don't know. However, I do know that popularity brings 'problems' most of which we've yet to see but which could completely transform our little world.
May the bridges you burn light your way
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Have videos like like the latest from Barry, books, magazine articles and Trackleaders made the HT 'better' or just turned it into more of a gladiatorial spectacle?
They've arguably made it "easier". When the HT was first run, all that information on bothies, cafes, food stops, trail conditions etc was tied up in the minds of a few folk who'd already explored much or all of the route. It's all out there now, meaning folk can pre-plan much of it (this isn't to take away from the physical and mental challenges). That must contribute in some way to the faster completions, though it'll be interesting to see what 2018 might bring if the weather is less benign.

Despite the "popularity" of bikepacking I still rarely see other folks when out and about in the remote areas (though metalheart might think otherwise :grin: )

This is all very reminiscent of the rise of Munro bagging in the 90's. Hell, there was even a TV quiz show about the Munros. Other than one day on An Teallach, I can't recall a time when I thought the hills were getting over-busy.
Trail-rat

Post by Trail-rat »

the great thing about scotland is its open all year.

dont be like that guy the other year who wanted to start the day before so he could experiance the "race" without an entry.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Alpinum wrote:Not sure what (sensible) options there are for the tarmac sections.
Intentionally. I rode up to the lip, had a look at it, went back and dropped off. I can't remember riding out of it though, the rear got stuck in the muck.

Not much sensible there. Not sensible is the new fun. No? :grin:[/quote]

Blimey, nice going. If you'd tried that in 2015, you'd still be there, under about a metre of peat :mrgreen:
padonbike wrote:
Pretty much what AG said so who am I to argue :grin:

It did very vaguely cross my mind to run a group start around the 400 route (with the new bits in natch) as it would be a bit more accessible and acts as a good stepping stone to the 550 but I'd expect it to be massively over-subscribed so probably more trouble than its worth
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Trail-rat wrote:the great thing about scotland is its open all year.

dont be like that guy the other year who wanted to start the day before so he could experiance the "race" without an entry.
When will we see a winter ITT..?
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Alpinum wrote:

I know of two people considering it.
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Dave Barter wrote:
Alpinum wrote:

I know of two people considering it.
Ahhh... interesting. So maybe it's three then...