Highland Trail 550 - 2018

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Zippy

Re: HIghland Trail 550 - 2018

Post by Zippy »

So I saw an Instagram post from Mr Goldsmith today with a photo from the HT550 and the opening dates for statements of interest sometime this month. I’m actually having previously stated I’d probably tour it, I’m actually in two minds to have a punt at entering – I feel I have a bit of a chance of getting a place, and also have a chance of being able to make it round not being last. Whilst I didn’t have a particularly brilliant BB200 due to having the lurgy – I feel my base fitness really did get me round, and if I hadn’t fallen desperately ill afterwards, I think I really would have springboarded off it…Either way, I think I’m getting some form that I can work with.

Sorry, just rambling as a bit of a braindump – I can see me having been round the route before 2018 is out whatever way I end up doing it!
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

I’m going to take 2018 off, and instead am planning to ride the original 430 route. I have unfinished business with it and really fancy giving it a shot. I’m well aware that bits were changed for good reason so expect a few parts will be horrific.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

AlasdairMc wrote:I’m going to take 2018 off, and instead am planning to ride the original 430 route. I have unfinished business with it and really fancy giving it a shot. I’m well aware that bits were changed for good reason so expect a few parts will be horrific.
It'll be reet :)
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

AlasdairMc wrote:I’m going to take 2018 off, and instead am planning to ride the original 430 route. I have unfinished business with it and really fancy giving it a shot. I’m well aware that bits were changed for good reason so expect a few parts will be horrific.
If doing the 430 then I think I'd do the new start via Glen Lyon and Ben Alder rather than the WHW/Abhainn Rath if only to see some different areas. I've ridden the trails on both routes and prefer the new start. Then again the Abhainn Rath is a lovely valley and worth seeing.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

whitestone wrote: If doing the 430 then I think I'd do the new start via Glen Lyon and Ben Alder rather than the WHW/Abhainn Rath if only to see some different areas. I've ridden the trails on both routes and prefer the new start. Then again the Abhainn Rath is a lovely valley and worth seeing.
We're being completely purist in our approach. I've 'ridden' the Abhainn Rath many times before, including on 3 HTR attempts (2013-2015) and I actually quite like it, perhaps even preferring it to the new start because of the WHW - although the Ben Alder singletrack is something special.

In 2013 we both made it as far as Contin, so want to experience the route as it was then. This will include Cow Pie bog (thanks swearfilter) and the Tollie Path too, the old Torridon route, and the downclimb to Shenavall.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

AlasdairMc wrote:
whitestone wrote: If doing the 430 then I think I'd do the new start via Glen Lyon and Ben Alder rather than the WHW/Abhainn Rath if only to see some different areas. I've ridden the trails on both routes and prefer the new start. Then again the Abhainn Rath is a lovely valley and worth seeing.
We're being completely purist in our approach. I've 'ridden' the Abhainn Rath many times before, including on 3 HTR attempts (2013-2015) and I actually quite like it, perhaps even preferring it to the new start because of the WHW - although the Ben Alder singletrack is something special.

In 2013 we both made it as far as Contin, so want to experience the route as it was then. This will include Cow Pie bog (thanks swearfilter) and the Tollie Path too, the old Torridon route, and the downclimb to Shenavall.
Funnily enough I was reminiscing with my pal Iona the other day about sitting at the side of the track out of Ossian patching up my broken collarbone when you and the other two guys went past and we asked if you had a car nearby.....

Abhain rath trail is great - on a fat bike :mrgreen:
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

AlasdairMc wrote:

I was thinking about the original route the other day. Bizarrely the course record looks soft now! Which seems crazy as at the time I couldn’t imagine a ride if that length at all.
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

What's the "Sheneval down climb"?
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

boxelder wrote:What's the "Sheneval down climb"?
On the original route the way to Shenavall was via the black dashed line here http://streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=208710 ... &A=Y&Z=120, the current route takes the track to the east down in to then along Strath na Sealga.

Edit: some pictures

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/242436

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/3913546

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1309948
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

htrider wrote:
Funnily enough I was reminiscing with my pal Iona the other day about sitting at the side of the track out of Ossian patching up my broken collarbone when you and the other two guys went past and we asked if you had a car nearby.....

Abhain rath trail is great - on a fat bike :mrgreen:
Dave Kane and Gareth Clutton. I rode with them both for a bit in 2014 and then they dropped off on the road to Laggan and I didn’t see them again.

Meeting you was a bizarre coincidence, I’d been wondering recently who it was that I had met then.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

The more I think about this the more I quite fancy doing the 400 route - means you get to the start of Fisherfield in reasonably good order. That said I also fancy a shortcut doing the Fannichs track and the single track up / down to Loch a Bhraoin and the back way into Strath Sealga - supposed to be a good trail and means you get around 40 odd k of continuous single track....
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

htrider wrote:The more I think about this the more I quite fancy doing the 400 route - means you get to the start of Fisherfield in reasonably good order. That said I also fancy a shortcut doing the Fannichs track and the single track up / down to Loch a Bhraoin and the back way into Strath Sealga - supposed to be a good trail and means you get around 40 odd k of continuous single track....
Want to join us for our mini mass start?
padonbike

Post by padonbike »

What's the "Sheneval down climb"?
Andy: it's boggy and quite tricky walking down with a rucksack, nevermind a bike. The less-direct, but more rideable loop of recent editions is way better.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

AlasdairMc wrote:
htrider wrote:The more I think about this the more I quite fancy doing the 400 route - means you get to the start of Fisherfield in reasonably good order. That said I also fancy a shortcut doing the Fannichs track and the single track up / down to Loch a Bhraoin and the back way into Strath Sealga - supposed to be a good trail and means you get around 40 odd k of continuous single track....
Want to join us for our mini mass start?
Could do - when you thinking. I'm crap at committing to anything beyond a few weeks away mind....
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

I crossed that Fannichs track when walking the western Munros of the group. Looking down on it, it didn't look too bad, probably not in the condition that the Ben Alder track is but not as bad as the one from Glen Golly to Bealach Horn. I asked about it last year when looking for something to do as a loop on the fat bike.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

whitestone wrote:
I crossed that Fannichs track when walking the western Munros of the group. Looking down on it, it didn't look too bad, probably not in the condition that the Ben Alder track is but not as bad as the one from Glen Golly to Bealach Horn. I asked about it last year when looking for something to do as a loop on the fat bike.
Aye I know someone whose done it and they reckonned it was well worth it - the descent to Loch a Bhtaoin is supposed to be a cracker but best in dryer conditions
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Found this description of the route: http://www.mtbtrails.info/Trail_Venue.a ... Number=127

"From the top at tag 9 you've got about 3.5km of descent to the river crossing at tag 10. The first 100m or so of the descent is very rough, but it soon calms down a little, and is rideable all the way to the bottom. This is a fairly tough and technical descent, with a lot of stones and rubble to be avoided on the way, so it's not a high speed blast by any manner of means. Still great fun though, especially when there are walkers on the path who can't believe you're cycling out of the hills at that point ! The river crossing at tag 10 is easy enough, you can cycle it in summer, and there are plenty of places to cross if there is more water than I experienced."

There's not much on Strava heat maps and sod all segments recorded on it.

I reckon you could work out one of the toughest short routes around in that area.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Sounds mint. I was thinking of a real epic - start at Contin do that trail, do fisherfield then torridon then fight your way along the trail from Achnaslellach back to Contin. Probably a bit much for a day ride....
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

Feeling lucky?

Now is the time to put your hand up.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

:-H
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Jurassic pusher

Post by Jurassic pusher »

Crainlarch is a long way from the Isle of Wight Sean! :grin:
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Jurassic pusher wrote:Crainlarch is a long way from the Isle of Wight Sean! :grin:
515 miles from my house according to Google maps, so including the ferry 12+ hours of travelling. I've got to get a place on the group start yet but I've tried hard on the rides I've done to try and qualify and the email is sent so I'll have to wait and see.

On another note entirely, ssuk 2018 is only 25 minutes walk or less than 10 minutes ride from my house so that will be easier to get to :grin:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Philippa

Post by Philippa »

What tyres are people using? Not gone tubeless yet myself and am still deliberating what tyre is best.
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

I used Maxxis Ikons last year. In 2016, when it was very dry, had a Maxxis pace on the rear.

All were exo (toughened sidewalk) versions.

I’d happily use the same again.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Most of the route is pretty solid, there's not a lot of soft ground that needs a lot of tread. Anything tough and fast rolling. Basically use any tyre that you are happy with for general trail use. Fit the biggest volume tyre you can get in your frame allowing for clearance.

Quite a few use Maxxis Ikons. Last year I used Bontrager XR2 on the front and XR1 on the rear and I'll be using them again this year. The XR2 is roughly equivalent in tread to the Ikon and the XR1 a bit less.