This Is Not A Tour - new Audax events in memory of Mike Hall

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Taylor

Re: This Is Not A Tour - new Audax events in memory of Mike

Post by Taylor »

JustinF wrote:What tyres are people using? I'm going no ideal Kenda 40mm Flintridge Pro, because it's what i have over 25mm. totally not a tarmac ideal tyre but nm eh?
38mm G-one.
chris n

Post by chris n »

Was going to use 43mm Gravel Kings.
Wilkyboy

Post by Wilkyboy »

25mm Michelin Pro4 Endurance — that's what I have for road, and I'm not riding 400km on a mountain bike.

Bear in mind that there's only about 25km of gravel on the 400 by the routesheet (the GPX goes a different route with about another 4km of completely benign track), and so won't make a lot of difference to overall time, even if necessarily ridden with care. It's a long hilly road ride with a few gravelly bits for interest — and there's plenty of interest on the road bits as well, as it's Wales! :-bd

What it's not is a gravel-fest in the style of one of Mike's old Valley Cat events, so you needn't worry about tyres too much, so long as you're careful on the three (or four) rough bits. *

* I might take an old tyre as a spare, though, just in case I'm not careful enough :wink:
Pete-G

Post by Pete-G »

techno mail wrote:
techno mail wrote:
Pete-G wrote:
techno mail wrote:looks like thew worst bit for busy roads is the last 100k (Dolgelau back to Llandrindod) it's primarily on the A470 & A483.
looking to re-route through Dyfi forest and then who knows where. will post a link once it's done
I'll be keen to see that. I've just been looking at the route, and the A road from Newtown back to Llandrindod is not my idea of fun on a bike (a car, maybe).
here it is: https://osmaps.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/rou ... nat-point3 only different after Dolgellau and needs a re-route to hit the info control at Dolfor.

oh, it adds 18 km to distance + 5oom of climbing
here's the edited version heading back onto the original route to pass through Dolgellau thereby hitting the info control:
https://osmaps.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/rou ... at-point-4
Thats top work. Quick question, did you consider the possible lane/bridleway thats just behind the garage at Mallwyd on the A458 to avoid that bit of road? I was just looking at it and have no idea what its like, but OS shows the later half is a bridleway and rejoins on the small road you're using.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.69856 ... 741,16.89z
JustinF

Post by JustinF »

Wilkyboy wrote:25mm Michelin Pro4 Endurance — that's what I have for road, and I'm not riding 400km on a mountain bike.

Bear in mind that there's only about 25km of gravel on the 400 by the routesheet (the GPX goes a different route with about another 4km of completely benign track), and so won't make a lot of difference to overall time, even if necessarily ridden with care. It's a long hilly road ride with a few gravelly bits for interest — and there's plenty of interest on the road bits as well, as it's Wales! :-bd

What it's not is a gravel-fest in the style of one of Mike's old Valley Cat events, so you needn't worry about tyres too much, so long as you're careful on the three (or four) rough bits. *

* I might take an old tyre as a spare, though, just in case I'm not careful enough :wink:
damn you, that's my 25mm tyre atm, they are bomb proof indeed (although they really don't like being leaned on in high speed corners)
I could ride my road bike and save 3kg and suffer the 37.7k of suggested route...rather than suffer the draggy 260km of wrong tyres...hmm, will probably decide next friday :D
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence you ever tried.
Wilkyboy

Post by Wilkyboy »

JustinF wrote:damn you, that's my 25mm tyre atm, they are bomb proof indeed (although they really don't like being leaned on in high speed corners)
I could ride my road bike and save 3kg and suffer the 37.7k of suggested route...rather than suffer the draggy 260km of wrong tyres...hmm, will probably decide next friday :D
G'warn, you know you want to :wink:

Yes, I find them a bit sketchy on the lean, especially in the wet, although as I'm on fixed most of the time then I tend to lean a bit less than I could with a freewheel. I suffer only a couple of punctures a year at most, and those are generally pressure-point punctures from flints pushing on the puncture-proofing, rather than complete penetration, and they roll pretty okay :-bd

It looks like the 300 has more off-road than the 400, but misses out on the gruelling delight of Bwlch-y-Groes in twilight :roll:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Quick question, did you consider the possible lane/bridleway thats just behind the garage at Mallwyd on the A458 to avoid that bit of road? I was just looking at it and have no idea what its like, but OS shows the later half is a bridleway and rejoins on the small road you're using.
I wouldn't, it's very up / down and likely to have fences in place of gates. The section of lane you're looking to avoid is actually very nice.
May the bridges you burn light your way
burty

Post by burty »

is there a way of opening the route sheets from the email without using Microsoft office ,
my laptop doesn't have it and I am to tight to pay for it ,
JustinF

Post by JustinF »

burty wrote:is there a way of opening the route sheets from the email without using Microsoft office ,
my laptop doesn't have it and I am to tight to pay for it ,
Wordpad or notepad if you are using windows
Download the attachment then right click an open with>
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence you ever tried.
Pete-G

Post by Pete-G »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:
Quick question, did you consider the possible lane/bridleway thats just behind the garage at Mallwyd on the A458 to avoid that bit of road? I was just looking at it and have no idea what its like, but OS shows the later half is a bridleway and rejoins on the small road you're using.
I wouldn't, it's very up / down and likely to have fences in place of gates. The section of lane you're looking to avoid is actually very nice.
It wasn't the lane I was looking to cut, google maps streetview assured me of that. It was those few miles of the A458 up to that lane I was interested in avoiding. Or do you think its more hassle than its worth?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

It wasn't the lane I was looking to cut, google maps streetview assured me of that. It was those few miles of the A458 up to that lane I was interested in avoiding. Or do you think its more hassle than its worth?
With ya. No, I wouldn't bother, that section of the A458 isn't bad, gets worse a mile later when the wiggly bits start.
Pete-G

Post by Pete-G »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:
With ya. No, I wouldn't bother, that section of the A458 isn't bad, gets worse a mile later when the wiggly bits start.
Cool, thanks!
techno

Post by techno »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:
Stu, I don't know The dyfi forest, so have routed through there via the most obvious way. Are there any fast fire roads or the like that would take you through in roughly the same direction as my route?
Ta.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Might as well stick to the single tarmac road that goes through Dyfi. There are fire roads that would take you through but it's a bit convoluted, so obviously slower with a higher risk of becoming 'misplaced'.
techno

Post by techno »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:Might as well stick to the single tarmac road that goes through Dyfi. There are fire roads that would take you through but it's a bit convoluted, so obviously slower with a higher risk of becoming 'misplaced'.
Ok, best to keep it simple i might be feeling a bit fatigued by then!
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Anyone know if I can swap events?

Looks unlikely I’ll be able to do the 300km slow due to family commitments :| Have the Saturday free, so the 100 or 200 would appeal
chris n

Post by chris n »

Possibly. Email the organiser ASAP - Mark is very accommodating.
Lump

Post by Lump »

voodoo_simon wrote:Anyone know if I can swap events?

Looks unlikely I’ll be able to do the 300km slow due to family commitments :| Have the Saturday free, so the 100 or 200 would appeal
Im not attending and have the 100 for Saturday and Sunday booked in, welcome to them if you can ride them
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

I’m booked on the 400km; however, reading the route is mainly road can’t be arsed.

So, if transferable someone can have my space.

I have no desire to ride yet more road ....just had approx 1,000 miles of that riding Le Jog.
j.c.gillies

Post by j.c.gillies »

Asposium wrote:I’m booked on the 400km; however, reading the route is mainly road can’t be arsed.

So, if transferable someone can have my space.

I have no desire to ride yet more road ....just had approx 1,000 miles of that riding Le Jog.
I hear you, its a lot of road for an audax. Out of courtisy, email the event organiser and let him know you won't be riding.
"After hardship comes ease" -Real name James
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

I've left this far too late to sort out but am struggling to find anywhere reasonable to park my van and leave it. Any ideas? What's everyone else doing?
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Just find a quiet street somewhere Dave and you should be fine.
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

Dave Barter wrote:I've left this far too late to sort out but am struggling to find anywhere reasonable to park my van and leave it. Any ideas? What's everyone else doing?
Same issue - parking paranoia now kicking in...!
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Would anyone like a spot on the 300 slow?
Wilkyboy

Post by Wilkyboy »

ZeroDarkBivi wrote:
Dave Barter wrote:I've left this far too late to sort out but am struggling to find anywhere reasonable to park my van and leave it. Any ideas? What's everyone else doing?
Same issue - parking paranoia now kicking in...!
Parking in Wales is not at all like parking in over-crowded England. In Wales there are double-yellow lines, or there aren't. Where there aren't, you can park. "Residents' permits" don't exist in mid-Wales and Pay and Display is rare. The main roads are often clearway, but side roads aren't. Everyone can park pretty much anywhere, so long as they don't block driveways or roads, nor park on sharp bends, near junctions, etc. You might not be able to park in the very centre of Llandrindod Wells, but you're bringing a bike and so anywhere in town is but a two-minute cycle from anywhere else :-bd

Mark (the organiser) suggested parking on the road around the lake — StreetView has it all as free-to-park.