2017 YD200

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

In Reverse

Re: 2017 YD200

Post by In Reverse »

Echoing what they ^^ said - a really nice event and a cracking route - cheers to Stu for his efforts in organising and feeding etc. Good to see/meet all the other Boners and Andys :grin: .

This place was a highlight - Katie's Cuppa's honesty box tea roooms, in a great spot just after a pig of a carry and descent over Horses Head. :-bd

fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Ha finally got an Internet connection in a wet iom. ..
That was bloody hard spent the first few miles at a nice pace with Bob et al then did my usual too fast pace on the first climb felt dead at w Burton but pies worked there magic. As for gravel bike friendly thank f*** I was on the Jones. Got back at 9.20 or so to discover I was second back. Oops that wasn't planned. ... cheers to stu and the various folk I met
Roobell7

Post by Roobell7 »

Have internet access on Austrian Airlines back from Vienna :-bd

YD200 went well and I finished 15 mins behind whitestone :smile:
Arrived early on Friday, finalised plan to pack light and ride through, bought excess food at the local Tesco (plus evening refreshment :grin: ), Slept well, Set off just behind the fast gravel boys & girls, rode the wrong course :((

I actually had two courses loaded into my Garmin. 1st was downloaded from the YD200 site early and had been cleaned up to place the track onto the RoW, as opposed to the straight line approximation seen on some limited points GPX tracks. It takes some time to do in RideWithGPS but pays out on the trails (usually). The 2nd was the official GXP track file in raw format as a backup in the event of a problem on the trail. I loaded this from my laptop at the event HQ having just (I thought) downloaded from the final email. Turns out I loaded the original file as it had the same file name as the later amended one :roll:

My BAD and another lesson learnt in ITT preparation and execution #:-S

Roll on the BB200
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

Looking at the Strava flybys you rode the same course as me Andy, in fact it's the same course as everybody except Bob and Stuart. :geek:

Edit: Andy T's was slightly different too.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Interesting. I downloaded the GPX file on Friday, looking at the gpsies link from Stuart's site, that's the route I rode, Cath says it's what she rode as well. I remember stopping at Wharfe to check which way it went as I had it in my mind that it took the BW rather than the road. Similarly with Gisburn Forest.

I wonder if there was a stale link leading to an older version being available?
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Roobell7

Post by Roobell7 »

whitestone wrote:Interesting. I downloaded the GPX file on Friday, looking at the gpsies link from Stuart's site, that's the route I rode, Cath says it's what she rode as well. I remember stopping at Wharfe to check which way it went as I had it in my mind that it took the BW rather than the road. Similarly with Gisburn Forest.

I wonder if there was a stale link leading to an older version being available?
The file on gpsites.com was updated but kept the same filename. My MacBook saw it as the same file as the earlier one and simply added -2 to the end. It also gave it a file date/time stamp as of the time of the download. So it was more difficult to compare. I was lazy and uploaded the original :oops:

There was mention on the event webpage that the early route was provisional but I didn't see any mention of the changes in the final email. Just the link back to what appeared to be the original gpsites.com page

I was away with work the week before the ride and had prepared everything the previous weekend. I arrived home the Thursday evening. Took care of some admin Friday morning. Loaded my bike and kit up and drove to Skipton congratulating myself on my abnormal efficiency :YMSMUG:
In Reverse wrote:Looking at the Strava flybys you rode the same course as me Andy, in fact it's the same course as everybody except Bob and Stuart. :geek:

Edit: Andy T's was slightly different too.
I was riding with Andy T until the tracks diverged. He took the correct route and I took the wrong one :shock: I caught up with him at the top of the Keasden Road climb having ridden an extra 2 km. He asked if I'd stopped for a cup of tea :lol:
By the Gisburn Forest route change, I'd convinced him that my route was correct and his wrong :oops: Sorry Andy

I'm not sure why the route was altered as both appeared fine. Maybe it was the Gisburn Forest section and the White Stone Road singletrack was omitted to keep the course the same length? Shame as it was one of my favourite bits....
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

The bit of BW above Wharfe is one of the nicest in the South Dales, it's on the YD300 route (but in the other direction which is even better) and was on a previous YD200 route.

TBH I wouldn't worry - it's not as if you were doing it deliberately to shorten/ease the route. The routes taken on the first YD200 varied even more :lol:
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Rats, just seen that also did the wrong route ie I did the extra bit out of Warf and a slightly altered route through Gisburn forest - I'd checked the link when Stu emailed us last week but it seemed the same to my cursory glance. Hey ho, I reckon what I did was longer / harder so I'm happy to claim my time....