SRAM Rival Gears/Brakes

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

dlovett

SRAM Rival Gears/Brakes

Post by dlovett »

I have always ridden shin gears and brakes but for the new one I am thinking about the dram rival1 1x11 groupset and rival 1 hydraulic brakes. Does anybody here actually own them and if so could you be kind enough to give me your thoughts In them.

Many thanks
Jurassic

Re: SRAM Rival Gears/Brakes

Post by Jurassic »

I have Rival on my CX bike (a few seasons old now though and 10 speed not 11). My impressions are that it works fine but the lever action is more positive, heavy and clunky than Shimano (reminds me of the Campag Chorus I had on my old road bike back in the day). Not really better or worse just different. Mine has been reliable and still shifts fine after a couple of years use. The double tap shifters are a bit weird at first but after a couple of rides I didn't notice them anymore so I guess that's a good thing. I think if I had the choice I'd maybe opt for Shimano but I certainly don't hate the SRAM stuff. Hth. :wink:
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Not answering your question very well but I'm running Shimano 11 speed hydro levers with an xt rear mech with a tampan 11 to alter the cable pull.

It all works great.

I've ridden a friends SRAM equivalents and they were nice too. Different, but I'd be happy to have them too/instead.
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

I tried shifting with there rival1 1 groupset toady on a boardman in Halfords and to be honest they seemed fine. Te gears changed ok and the brakes stopped the wheel. I might test the bike during the week, so I can see what they are like actual on the road.
Roobell7

Post by Roobell7 »

I have the SRAM Force CX1 groupset on my Saxon Cross which I'm using with Bomber bars. I have no problem with the 1 x 11 and the hydraulic brakes are progressive and powerful on 160mm disks. With the Bombers the shift levers do not sit perpendicular to the ground so the shift lever doesn't travel so far inboard. Also on the 1 x you only need to worry about the Rh lever

I've not tried a bar bag yet but here is a picture to give you an idea of the space available

Image20170325_105300 by Andy Wright, on Flickr

Andy
Adventurer

Post by Adventurer »

I have the sram force on my Camino.

They have been fine with a loaded bike. Obviously not a powerful as some MTB brakes like hope but it is a gravel bike

https://flic.kr/p/W6ob6s
Brothersmith

Post by Brothersmith »

Adventurer, Where is the sunken lane? I live up the road from Abbots Bromley and have tried a few times to get across to the chase with varying success.

Looking at your Flickr pics I take it the Sonder is a recent purchase, I note its in the shop in a couple of pics back :-bd
Adventurer

Post by Adventurer »

Brothersmith wrote:Adventurer, Where is the sunken lane? I live up the road from Abbots Bromley and have tried a few times to get across to the chase with varying success.

Looking at your Flickr pics I take it the Sonder is a recent purchase, I note its in the shop in a couple of pics back :-bd

Hi,

The sunken lane, I presume you mean from this pic

https://flic.kr/p/V7PaGK

Must say it was a nice find I think it was here. Pic of my ViewRanger map

https://flic.kr/p/WhZ9UJ

I been up to Abbots Bromley a few times now and here is my viewranger route that I have used. It shows two different routes that I used.

The one that goes by beaudesert old park was the best which also uses the canal through rugeley.

The other route uses the Heritage trail from the park in rugeley and is all off road and takes you to the back of birches valley visitor centre.

https://flic.kr/p/WhYQ7U

The pic of the bike in the Alpkit store was just a demo version. I had a few things changed from there standard model. Managed to get a 30t oval ring on it too which they don't do but it will fit a MTB ring on with a bit of lateral thinking.

Nice part of the area is abbots Bromley and also a nice cafe if you like coffee and cake.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

SRAM for the past 4 years. I now find Shimano gears strange and confusing.

Can't fault it. Once set up correctly they shift each and every time.

Rival 1x11 is nice, the hydro especially, the brake pads need to be set correctly or they will wear out fast. Otherwise, nothing to complain about.
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

Thanks everyone for your input.

Cheers

D
jamiep

Post by jamiep »

Rival11 (but converted to 1*11) on the CX race bike with BB7 or Shim mechanical brakes. Rival11 with Hydro brakes on road bike. I prefer double tap shifting, but horses for courses. Shifting seems more 'mechanical', the chain clunks into place, again, which I prefer, but it is just a preference. Hydro brakes are amazing with race matrix pads (I think better than Deore on my MTB); I have to be careful in the peloton as my braking profile is very different to my peers on rim brakes.