Its a long way to the shops from home
No votes
Deskchair bikepacker
9%

Total votes: 47
HaYWiRe

Whats your style of bikepacking?

Post by HaYWiRe »

I hate to pidgeon hole this hobby but sometimes we all fit into a cliché and all have different reasons for wanting to get out.

Some of us see a bike as a means to go camping, other see camping as a means to ride more. Our kit choices reflect this.
We all do a bit of everything i guess but its the motivation rather than just "bike class" that interests me, brought up by the "enduro packing" post.

I loved bikepacking early on because we couldn't drive and our trails were a days ride away, born out of necessity i guess. Nowadays its different.

Im becoming more of a trail rider everyday and singletrack is my goal, minimal kit is essential for this. Give me a road bike though and my goals are very different and pack for comfort (still without needing panniers thank you)

Are you sleeping in a ditch and cooking on meths? Or building a home from home out of something more than silnylon and a jetboil?
Or do you just live in wales where it takes 3 days to carry a pint of milk home :-bd
Last edited by HaYWiRe on Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
voodoo_simon

Re: Whats your style of bikepacking?

Post by voodoo_simon »

More of an internet virtual bikepacker :lol:
HaYWiRe

Post by HaYWiRe »

Edit: options added
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Could you add an "All of the above (except enduro)" option please? :smile:
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
cloudnine

Post by cloudnine »

To escape..
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

For me there would be quite a bit of overlap between ride to go camping and camp to ride further, they're both true for me. I love camping and bivvying and have done since I was a kid so incorporating that with mountain biking which I also love is a natural progression. Sometimes I'm quite happy just to be outside for a night so a short ride incorporating a camp/bivvy is enough but overnighting also enables longer trips (although longer is a relative term as I'm not as fit as I'd like).
The camping/bivvying thing is an important thread through most of my favourite activities though so canoing, packrafting, hillwalking and cycling are all activities I love that are enhanced a lot for me by overnighting.
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Crumbs, you've made a niche even more niche!
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Sorry but none of the above. I bikepack so I can get away by myself and forget everything apart from what I'm doing in the here and now. The only thing that I have to remember to do is ring the wife once a day.
RIP

Post by RIP »

At my great age if I think too much about why I do something my brain hurts and I have to stop doing it, and I don't want to stop doing this ;). WADR to the supplied options I'll just fall back on Stuart's never-been-bettered 'two-wheeled tramp'. Just get out there and see what (or indeed who) happens. As far better philosophers than me have pointed out, bike travellers are seen as less threatening, more approachable, easier to offer a kindness etc, so random and often eccentric and surprising stuff happens. Faster than walking but still slow enough to absorb. As for the 'packing' part, less and lighter stuff means less distraction, less faff, encourages outward rather than inward lookingness, and yes a certain perverse pleasure in hair-shirtedness. And, controversially, by less stuff I include 'mental baggage' over-doing gear, times, calories etc, albeit they can be fun to try and to discuss - of course. In summary, the 'bike' and the (minimal) 'packing' - both physical and mental - are the means to the end experience whatever that is or may be to individual ones of us. Oh alright, I guess riding-metrics are an experience themselves :wink: but just not one for me, and by definition this is a 'selfish' (and great fun) thread. Let random and wierd stuff happen to you. Right, as predicted my brain now hurts so that's enough self-analysis I think.

R

(Ray's was a very nice description too; my added advantage is that Mrs Perrin has explicitly told me not to contact her while I'm out there :lol: )
Last edited by RIP on Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:59 am, edited 5 times in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
jameso

Post by jameso »

Well put Reg, couldn't agree more.
bike travellers are seen as less threatening, more approachable, easier to offer a kindness etc, so random and often eccentric and surprising stuff happens.
This in particular. The open mindedness that seems to be a 2-way thing to touring cyclists (particularly solo riders). I did a couple of solo tours in France 12-13 years ago and the interaction with others in new places was a big part of what hooked me on touring. Bikepacking is just what we call what many did before, minimalist touring.

In answer to the OP, I have no real style, in bikepacking terms or otherwise :grin: To me it's all just widening the scope of what I can do with a bike, for seeing more places or the personal/mental experiences that go with it.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Ride to go camping: often do this, especially for the Bivy a month. Usually local rides often midweek or when it's likely to give good clear night skies.

Camping to ride further: Again, quite common especially at weekends, just head off for a longish ride from home up into The Dales and wander home the following day.

Long distance ITTs: I do a few of these each year. Last year I did seven, this year I've done three so far with another couple planned. Different, appeals to the competitive instinct :oops: , but wouldn't be my only or even major focus.

Ride and Camp to tour places: Apart from local rides, it all comes down to this really. Bike and kit are a means to visit areas of the country that I missed when I was a climber and fell runner. This includes areas only a few miles from where I grew up.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

You missed 'Freedom Fighter' off the list .... I'm just about old enough to recall a time when true 'Gentlemen of the Road' made their away up, down and across the country - a time before society decided it was no way for anyone to behave :roll: Certain gents would pass through the village at different times of the year. I remember listening to their tales while my dad shared his fags and a brew with them on the wall outside our house. To me, they seemed to embody the true essence of freedom, they weren't begging, they worked for what they had or took charity when it was offered but very importantly, they weren't burdened by the expectations and restraints of society.

It's something that probably had quite an effect on me and something that bikepacking allows me to feel closer to ... it isn't something I expect many people to 'get' but I know some will.

Someone said, "freedom is just another word for nothing left to lose" but they forgot to add "but everything to gain".

That concludes Norms thought for the day, thank you.
May the bridges you burn light your way
RIP

Post by RIP »

Brilliant stuff Stu, made my day a whole lot better already thank you :smile:
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

jameso

Post by jameso »

"freedom is just another word for nothing left to lose" - Janis Joplin, Me and Bobby Mcgee (slightly embarrasingly a song I first heard by Kris Kristofferson)

Like that story a lot Stuart. Would make a great read if any of those guys are still around to recount those stories. I always liked to read about the early-years climbers for the same reasons, the travel on a shoestring and make the best attitude.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

"freedom is just another word for nothing left to lose" - Janis Joplin, Me and Bobby Mcgee (slightly embarrasingly a song I first heard by Kris Kristofferson)
I thought I was doing us all a favour by mentioning no names :wink:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Would make a great read if any of those guys are still around to recount those stories.
Worth trying to find a copy of 'The Travels of Tramp - Royal' by Matt Marshall. It's long out of print (my copy is from 1932) but a great insight into the life of a 'Gentlemen of the road'.

Another is, 'The Gentle Art of Tramping' by Stephen Graham. Again, long out of print (mine's 1927) but wise words remain wise words and some things never change. Talking about finding a bed for the night - "You get into the habit of spotting them. Even in the morning you remark as you go along: "Ah a good place for spending a night!" :wink:
jameso

Post by jameso »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:
I thought I was doing us all a favour by mentioning no names :wink:
Yes maybe .. ha. Will have a look for the book or similar, ta.
metalheart

Post by metalheart »

(slightly embarrasingly a song I first heard by Kris Kristofferson)
To be fair on Kris, he did only go and write the song in the first place....

Youngsters these day, I just don't know....
Give the dirt a little room.
metalheart

Post by metalheart »

@jameso: Always a little further by Alastair Borthwick (1939) manages to combine both early years climbing and encounters with gentleman (and women) of the road... And other associated 'gangrels of all sorts'...
Give the dirt a little room.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Oh dear, I realise I used the E-word up there, help, I'm 'on trend' - everyone's spending on Experiences now not on stuff. Hopefully the pendulum will swing back the other way soon and I can settle again into my backwater of 'experiencing' things.

Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Oh dear, I realise I used the E-word up there, help, I'm 'on trend' - everyone's spending on Experiences now not on stuff. Hopefully the pendulum will swing back the other way soon and I can settle again into my backwater of 'experiencing' things.
Don't panic Reg, there's a fundamental difference at play here and it involves the seemingly simple words, 'have' and 'buy' :geek: :wink:
slarge

Post by slarge »

I guess I just like riding my bike. So bivvying means I can ride it more. Tis the freedom I think.
jameso

Post by jameso »

metalheart wrote:
(slightly embarrasingly a song I first heard by Kris Kristofferson)
To be fair on Kris, he did only go and write the song in the first place....

Youngsters these day, I just don't know....
Didn't know that. Glad to say it's the original on my long ride playlist then : )

Thanks for book tip. Apologies to Haywire for country music thread diversion..
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Caught between "Camp to go riding further" and "Long distance ITT".

I really hate camping (two more nights this weekend, no more than 5 hours sleep) so I do it as an absolute means to an end. I do enjoy doing very long rides though, and not always in an ITT manner.

I think eventually I'll just accept that I can't sleep when doing this sort of thing and just become another of the nutters that does 36+ hour stints...
RIP

Post by RIP »

Sigh. I've just totally shot myself down in flames as usual by finding and buy(ARG)ing Tramp-Royal for a fiver. I'll attempt to salvage a shred of credibility (a shred of cred :lol:) by resisting shelling out eight times as much for Gentle Art, which I'm sure would have been well worth it though....