TDR 2017

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

GregMay

Re: TDR 2017

Post by GregMay »

whitestone wrote: On the TDR given the numbers, unless you are a fast rider and out front then you are likely to spend the first few days riding in and around other riders until things get spread out. This is likely regardless of whether you want to ride with someone else or not. There'll be a lot of ebb and flow as riders' natural strengths and weaknesses come into play plus the effects of eating at different times, etc., etc.
Not so much. Day 1 spreads the field thin, very thin. It only regroups at Elkford and Sparwood as there are beds there. (old route)

I spent most of day 2 alone until near the Wall where I rode with Corey for a chunk until splitting at Eureka and riding on. Then on Day two alone again until I hooked up with Tom after he caught up to me with slightly improved knees - thankfully! There are plenty of opportunities to ride alone on the first few days, the route is very conducive to this. It's a decision to ride with someone else, know them or not. Mostly, I chose not to unless it was late in the day and I wanted some company over a big pass. Everyone is different.

My longest period spent alone was between day 4 and 6 - nearly 30 hours solo until I reached Wise River after coming down from Fleecer in a storm. Was one of the highlights of my ride. The solitude, not running from a storm over Fleecer - brown pants moment that was. Resolved with several beers at Wise River :)

EDIT - I thought about this quite a bit after coming back. I wish I'd rode alone more than I did. Not for ethical reasons, but because when I did interact with locals it was even more special after I'd spent the day alone. When I was riding with Bailey and Justin through Wyoming and Colorado we just cruised through towns talking to ourselves - prior to that in the upper states, I spoke with locals more when I did stop (or totally ignored them as I was confused by people). Was fun again when I hit NM after by mechanical. Anyway, total aside.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Times for riders over Richmond Pass and Huckleberry look pretty good - maybe not as much snow as suspected!

Huck is a nice pass. Even if I did nearly nail a cow at 1am on a blind corner 8|
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

I've seen more than a couple of people suggesting they are going to ride together on the TDR.

I've seen individuals riding together for long periods on other events.

I don't see an ethical problem with either, and I certainly don't see an advantage unless your going to take it in turns on the front.

Riding with other people is, I would say slower.
wriggles

Post by wriggles »

I camped below Huckleberry Pass during my tour last year. In my rush to pitch my tent, under a ferocious storm (the last rain for 5 weeks), I accidently soaked my tent in Huckleberry wine. It stank for days afterwards, so much for care in bear country :lol:
jameso

Post by jameso »

Riding with other people is, I would say slower.
I think so. Over 10 days or more inc camping out in bear country, also less mentally challenging esp when hard times set in. Well, assuming you're riding with the right person! Could be worse.. :grin:
when I did interact with locals it was even more special after I'd spent the day alone.
Agreed. I rode alone most of the time apart from days 1-2, saw a few riders on day 3, then unless I overlapped with Alex or Liam now and then, no-one. I really appreciated talking to people.. Took no phone with me either so getting to a hotel after the finish and then calling home .. not sure I can describe how great that felt. Hadn't done so during the ride as toward the end it would have knocked me sideways. It had got pretty weird in places but I think it's why I found it such a deep/memorable/etc experience. I like riding solo but it really tested that idea, would recommend it but it's not for everyone.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

jameso wrote:I like riding solo but it really tested that idea, would recommend it but it's not for everyone.
Me as well. It was the one thing that surprised me more than any other.
jameso

Post by jameso »

Mike's record flag is almost a day ahead of Josh Kato now - from beyond Helena over Lava Mtn and inc Fleecer to stop at Polaris is a good day's riding. Less than a day for a 14-15 day pace rider though and I think JK is past Lava Mtn now.

Think if that day 1 re-route becomes the standard route, Mike's record could be almost impossible to beat.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Josh is riding strong and steady again. Wasn't until the second week that he picked up the pace last time he finished so it'll be good to see what he can do. A lot of big weather coming in from the south though, so more rain ahead I suspect. Hope riders know not to touch the Bannack Rode when it rains.

But I think you're right James, that flag of Mikes is not going to be caught for a while with the new route. ACA are apparently not amending their route yet, as the river can be forded when at low levels where the bridge was.
Robster

Post by Robster »

Hi All,

On the bike setups link: http://bikepacker.com/2017-tour-divide-rigs/
There's a Mark Burton – 40 – Devon, England.

Is he on here?

Anyway, Best wishes from Custard Country.
Cheers Rob
Fat tyre kicker

Post by Fat tyre kicker »

Don't think he's on here, I've messaged him and wished him good luck :-bd
( he bought my SmD lunar solo earlier in the year)
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Sounds like there's been some bad weather overnight:
It rained for 8 hours then turned to snow at the High Country Lodge which sits at 6500 foot elevation. Rugged conditions today for the Tour Divide riders
And
The weatherman is calling for more rain today. Unfortunately my guess is the Bannack bench road and the Medicine Lodge road will be ugly! It will take a day of sun and wind to dry it out.
Also it seems that Eddie ODea lost all of his credit cards and cash at at some point on the trail :o They were found apparently but not after he'd cancelled them and arranged for new ones with his bank.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
NewRetroTom

Post by NewRetroTom »

Are Lee and Rickie having a lie in or have they forgotten to start their trackers this morning?
Robster

Post by Robster »

Fat tyre kicker wrote:Don't think he's on here, I've messaged him and wished him good luck :-bd
( he bought my SmD lunar solo earlier in the year)
Cheers for the info. :-)
atk

Post by atk »

Ben Steurbaut has been at the front of the pack for a good chunk of the race but hit a bit of a setback (translation from his FB post via bikepacker.com)
Here is a pretty significant update from the front of the pack. Ben Steurbaut, the leader for the majority of the race thus far has faced a major set back. Somewhere up on Fleecer Ridge, he broke his Lauf Fork. He is currently in Butte right now in hopes he can get a new fork. Here is his facebook post. Apparently he is ok, and we are very happy he got through this unscathed. Let’s hope he can get back on route quickly.
atk

Post by atk »

Good to see Stu's updated the swear filter! :-bd
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

That's the second pair of Laufs I've seen break at that point (crown race).
Last edited by whitestone on Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
jameso

Post by jameso »

Ouch, not good, did he hit a hole or something similar? That's really bad luck after all that prep and riding so well to that point. Pic looks like it could be the infamous track coming off Fleecer ridge, it's steep but nothing crazy to ride if it's dry or grippy enough.
giryan

Post by giryan »

whitestone wrote:That's the second pair of Laufs I've seen break at that point (crown race).
That's pretty special, given all the other weakish looking bits on them that could break, and they go on a fairly normal looking section.
I wonder if the suspension method causes different stresses on the crown race or something.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

The other pair were on a fat bike. We'd been doing some of the trails in the South Lakes and we were going along the big flat area in Elterwater quarries and he went to lift the front end to splash the rider next to him. When he landed the fork just collapsed.

The figures on the Lauf site don't indicate anything unusual in axle offset, rake, etc.

Usual caveat: two incidents out of an unknown number of forks sold.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

*smugface*

Obviously not for the rider. But *smugface* none the less.
mountainbaker

Post by mountainbaker »

GregMay wrote:*smugface*
Same here. Why would you put a pair of retarded elf harps on the front of your bike.
Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

Fleecer is a bit steep for me to be riding down - if that is what and where it happened. I have put a lot of miles into my Lauf in NZ and Wales mostly and still in one piece. One of the reasons I had them was for a possible second run at TD in '19. Maybe walk even slower on Fleecer next time.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Blackhound wrote:Fleecer is a bit steep for me to be riding down - if that is what and where it happened. I have put a lot of miles into my puking gnome in NZ and Wales mostly and still in one piece. One of the reasons I had them was for a possible second run at TD in '19. Maybe walk even slower on Fleecer next time.
No flipping way I'd ride fleecer and I'm an idiot when it comes to riding down things I shouldn't on inappropriate bikes.

JP is really smashing it at the moment. Very, very fast time to Ovando considering the weather they are having now.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Kato at the pub/hotel in Wise River - beer is good, fire is better, beds are comfortable and they have showers. Spent the night there after getting nailed on Fleecer and wanting to avoid mud on the next section, expensive but left feeling quite human.

Beautiful area:
ImageWise River by Greg.May, on Flickr

and then it snowed.

ImageDSC00453.jpg by Greg.May, on Flickr
mountainbaker

Post by mountainbaker »

Wise River is where I learned how to use a Preparation H applicator for the first time. True Story.