The Perfect Bike Packing Bike

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

jameso

Re: The Perfect Bike Packing Bike

Post by jameso »

I have some XTR too ; ) inc shifters, but thanks - PM if you have a list, XT cassettes may be of interest.
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

jameso wrote:A perfect BP bike doesn't use gearing that makes you cringe after a number of hours (or days) of running it dry and gritty
Agreed, buy neither is it much fun having chainsuck in the small ring when it's muddy! I tried to get away from these problems by going internal hub gearing. Like many people, I experienced nothing but trouble with the Alfine 11 (apparently the 8 speed was much more reliable), and have now got a Rohloff, which is OK, but still feels very agricultural - more like an old Russian tractor than a slick German auto gearbox! The SRAM XX1 I bought 3 years ago has been a revelation in the 'it just works' caveat, lasted better than I expected, albeit the parts are expensive to replace and will 'remind you' that they want a clean / lube.

As mentioned previously, carrying capacity is probably the most fundamental basic of a bikepacking frame, and where small sized 29ers fail badly, with tiny front triangles and little clearance for a saddle bag. Even worse if they are FS. Whilst I like the way they roll, I may have to return to smaller wheels next time.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Plenty of space on an extra small 29er ;-)

ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

IMG_1227.JPG
IMG_1227.JPG (191.96 KiB) Viewed 1422 times
Not so much here, with a Standard Wildcat Saddle bag!

Perhaps I've just got smaller legs...

Similar story in the frame - space for one bottle or a tiny frame bag.
jameso

Post by jameso »

internal hub gearing.
.. probably the best answer for long trips, if only for damage limitation. I really like the Nexus 7s on my commuter, feels solid, no lag etc. Feels more direct than my old Alfine 8 Day One did somehow. The Tumbleweed bike looks useful, fits fat tyres with std cranks by using IGH.