Tour Divide 2016

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

mountainbaker

Re: Tour Divide 2016

Post by mountainbaker »

jameso wrote:Delirium : ) or it may be by NM : )
Good, it wasn't just me who was tripping my tits off by NM then! I slammed 4 x 5 hour energy drinks in Silver City, after riding non-stop from Cuba, then carried on to the finish. Don't remember much of it! 500 miles with a 1.5 hour nap.

Never again, or well, maybe 2018 :grin:
jameso

Post by jameso »

Ha! That's nuts.. Those things are grim but effective. I think for me it was cumulative effect, slept more than you did, but it all got a bit weird riding through the rez area at night. Got attacked by a pack of dogs that I now think might not have even been there, was having hunted sort of paranoia chase feelings, then slept at the roadside for a couple of hrs among the broken bottles when I couldn't hack it. On the last night past Silver City the road was moving like 3D tetris and I had a dream while riding, twice. Had to have another kip then. No watch or alarm so it was 1.5hrs and Josh Kato in 2015 I really wasn't. In hindsight that was a bit lightweight of me .. :grin:
jay91

Post by jay91 »

looks like mike hall will be passing that terrry chap soon.
Trying to ride bikes.
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

jay91 wrote:looks like mike hall will be passing that terrry chap soon.
Not if Terry Smith doesn't get back on track again

Mike won't be able to get his autograph if he doesn't
mountainbaker

Post by mountainbaker »

Yeah, I think terry is used to having the course waymarked for him, or all possible turns blocked with spectators. Different game this.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

He looks to have had a confusing few hours. I assume the only way to really go that wrong is to have your GPS fail on you.
larsmars

Post by larsmars »

Could be he's trying to avoid photos being taken at the Brush Mtn Lodge:
http://www.bikepacking.net/forum/ultra- ... /#msg84025

Anybody know about a 'Columbine alternate'? I couldn't find mention of that on 'The Rules'.

By the look of the backtracking, he might just be a bit lost...
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Richard G wrote:He looks to have had a confusing few hours. I assume the only way to really go that wrong is to have your GPS fail on you.
Terry looks to be taking highway 129 (or what ever they call the 129)
Is that an old Tour route and he's using an old GPX?
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

According to Scott Morris who runs Trackleaders - http://www.bikepacking.net/forum/ultra- ... /#msg83551

It could well be that Guy Martin is running silent. Or it could be a red herring. Without someone who knows what Guy looks like and (perhaps more importantly) sounds like, we are just guessing.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Justchris

Post by Justchris »

JohnClimber wrote:
jay91 wrote:looks like mike hall will be passing that terrry chap soon.
Not if Terry Smith doesn't get back on track again

Mike won't be able to get his autograph if he doesn't
Sorry been working alot lately and haven't been keeping up to date. Is the consensus still that Mr Smith is Guy? From a few comments on bikepacking.net I was under the assumption he was back in the main pack. Ie behind greg somewhere.

Cheers

Chris

Edit. Whitestone has just posted above, the thread I was talking about
Chew

Post by Chew »

It is amusing that people are following someone random person, who is probably just and Accountant from Peterborough.......

The previous version of the route was different and ran in/out of Rawlins, but its the same once into Colorado down to Brush Mountain Lodge.
You'd assume Terry has some kind of issue and is heading down the road to Steamboat where things can be fixed or he can get out to Denver
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

It is amusing that people are following someone random person, who is probably just and Accountant from Peterborough.......
I am Spartacus, no, I am Spartacus, NO, it is I, for I am Spartacus.
May the bridges you burn light your way
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:
I am Spartacus, no, I am Spartacus, NO, it is I, for I am Spartacus.
[Everyone points at the same guy]

He's Spartacus :shock:

How's Mr Storm getting on? Any news on his wheel?
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Chew wrote:It is amusing that people are following someone random person, who is probably just and Accountant from Peterborough.......

The previous version of the route was different and ran in/out of Rawlins, but its the same once into Colorado down to Brush Mountain Lodge.
You'd assume Terry has some kind of issue and is heading down the road to Steamboat where things can be fixed or he can get out to Denver
Was noting more that he went one way (off route), then doubled back on himself and took another route (even more off route).

Ian

Post by Ian »

whitestone wrote:According to Scott Morris who runs Trackleaders - http://www.bikepacking.net/forum/ultra- ... /#msg83551

It could well be that Guy Martin is running silent. Or it could be a red herring. Without someone who knows what Guy looks like and (perhaps more importantly) sounds like, we are just guessing.
We're none the wiser; the OP asked is Guy Martin tracking or is he running under a pseudonym?

Answer: yes

:???: :roll:
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

How's Mr Storm getting on? Any news on his wheel?
New wheel fitted, old wheel will be posted in due course. Just rolled into Lima in time for the restaurant to close. Will be bivi-ing in a truck stop until 7 when the cafe opens up.

Petrol station staff told us she couldn't believe we were allowed to ridentify at night (cyclists generally) and that by riding past her house she was kept awake. This in a town with a railroad through it and straddling the interstate. People are weird!
jay91

Post by jay91 »

Petrol station staff told us she couldn't believe we were allowed to ridentify at night (cyclists generally) and that by riding past her house she was kept awake. This in a town with a railroad through it and straddling the interstate. People are weird![/quote] :lol:
Trying to ride bikes.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Ian wrote:We're none the wiser; the OP asked is Guy Martin tracking or is he running under a pseudonym?

Answer: yes

:???: :roll:
I know, silly way to ask. Request a yes/no answer then ask two questions! A better question would have been "Is Guy Martin riding under a pseudonym?"

Anyway, Terry Smith does not appear to have retraced his line back to the route where he left it but continued and rejoined after Steamboat Lake.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
FlyingFox

Post by FlyingFox »

looks like Mike Hall is eating up the miles! he has overtaken Terry, (i realise it may of helped TS went a different route)

Its quite addictive this dot following.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Kipping at a truck stop has its pros and cons:

Pros:
Good toilets
Transport cafe

Cons:
Idling trucks
Overnight high pressure sprinkler systems to keep the grass green.

I'll let you lot decide which spoilt things for the assembled group...... :roll:
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

What's Terry done to Mike's Tracker? On the main map (on my phone) he seems to have disappeared.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

johnnystorm wrote:Kipping at a truck stop has its pros and cons:

Pros:
Good toilets
Transport cafe

Cons:
Idling trucks
Overnight high pressure sprinkler systems to keep the grass green.

I'll let you lot decide which spoilt things for the assembled group...... :roll:
First shower of the race by any chance?
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

I think the consensus on the bikepacking forum was that Terry Smith wasn't Guy Martin as someone had ID'd him in the 'bunch' on day 3 or 4....
Bloody good efforts from Greg and Tom, must be nice to be ahead of the pack!
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

Greg must be attacking the breakfast buffet at the hotel. That's quite a long stop for him. Tom has made a start and is eating up the tarmac section before Lander Cutoff.

And Mr Hall...simply amazing riding.

Greetz

S.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

According to Bikepacking.net Terry Smith is using 2004 edition paper maps and following an old route hence the various deviations.