2016 Highland Trail (group start)

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Alpinum

Re: 2016 Highland Trail (group start)

Post by Alpinum »

AAAHHHH!
Good ride and good write. You finally "tamed" the beast.
Would've loved to be there when you rolled onto the tarmac in Tyndrum, but I had been up for 42 h and on the move for the most part of it.

Thanks Nik
KamelTrek

Post by KamelTrek »

Loving the write ups, Ian, Alpinium, Lars and Ian Fitz. Interesting interpretations.

Wondering if anyone saw Neil Evans, other ITT rider. Lovely chap. Swiftly rode past me every day as he took longer breaks. Last I saw him was at the top of the pushing climb after Ullapool leading to Fisherfields. Our last words were his caution about the challenge ahead of me.
Ian

Post by Ian »

Thanks Gian, and others. It's quite therapeutic to write it all up :)

Here's the big one - Fisherfield. Also featuring a hamster with a rocket launcher

https://ianbarrington.com/2016/06/09/a- ... le-part-3/

Mike

Post by Mike »

I have not got around to reading the ride reports yet but i will. I would just like to say well done all of you. And what fantastic conditions you had!!

:-bd

when my brain is functioning on all cylinders i will do a small write up of my TT experiences
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Ian wrote:Thanks Gian, and others. It's quite therapeutic to write it all up :)

Here's the big one - Fisherfield. Also featuring a hamster with a rocket launcher

https://ianbarrington.com/2016/06/09/a- ... le-part-3/
I was slightly worried about the hamster :oops:

Fisherfield is stunning isn't it? I've only walked and climbed there not biked. Nice shots. Somewhat envious to say the least. Interesting how different sections felt to different riders no doubt depending on your ever changing ups and downs and how they relate to your progression around the route.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Ian

Post by Ian »

Of all the accounts I've read, they seemed to gloss over the tail end of the Postie's Path...

I checked my time from Carnmore to Kinlochewe, and it took just over 4 hrs. That's Ian Fitz pace that is, which I was very pleased with :-bd
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Looking at those photos the postie path will be bracken hell from July until October.....
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

All the pics really help me understand the landscape so much better than I could otherwise. Nice.

Edit - Oh, and that emergency shelter is clearly not for mountain bikers. :wink:
Ian

Post by Ian »

Interesting how different sections felt to different riders no doubt depending on your ever changing ups and downs and how they relate to your progression around the route.
I've found this interesting too.
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Ian wrote:Of all the accounts I've read, they seemed to gloss over the tail end of the Postie's Path...

I checked my time from Carnmore to Kinlochewe, and it took just over 4 hrs. That's Ian Fitz pace that is, which I was very pleased with :-bd
That phrase sounds so wrong to my ears. Especially coming from you Ian. But thanks. :grin:
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

"However, the bike is still light at 9kg unloaded"

Come on Nick, show & tell! That's phenomenally light - I've never seen a 29er that featherweight; even Mike Hall's fully rigid TD Pivot is 9.5kg. What's your weight weenie secret?
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

ZeroDarkBivi wrote:"However, the bike is still light at 9kg unloaded"

Come on Nick, show & tell! That's phenomenally light - I've never seen a 29er that featherweight; even Mike Hall's fully rigid TD Pivot is 9.5kg. What's your weight weenie secret?
It's a unicycle?
Justchris

Post by Justchris »

ZeroDarkBivi wrote:"However, the bike is still light at 9kg unloaded"

He has no bottom bracket. No pedals and cranks. It's a giant balance bike!

If you want light. Try this.

https://www.canyon.com/en-gb/mtb/exceed ... 9-ltd.html

And it's not running tubeless.
KamelTrek

Post by KamelTrek »

My ride report and some epic photos credit to the beauty of Scotland rather than my camera skills: http://socialkamel.tumblr.com/post/1457 ... l-550-2016
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Excellent report and well done - another epic tale! And more amazing photos of Fisherfield in the sun!
Phil
KamelTrek

Post by KamelTrek »

htrider wrote:Excellent report and well done - another epic tale! And more amazing photos of Fisherfield in the sun!
Phil
Thanks Phil. I''m no writer or photographer and rarely share, but this epic ride demanded a record.
Ian

Post by Ian »

Here we go, the final chapter is written and now live. Including an epilogue, which sums up my thoughts and feelings on the Highland Trail.

https://ianbarrington.com/2016/06/12/a- ... l-chapter/

whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Nice read Ian but I think you got this the wrong way round - "this hill is like a transition between the wilderness of the north, and the beginnings of civilisation to the south." :wink:

Jealous about your bivy on the top of the Devil's Staircase.
Blair512

Post by Blair512 »

KamelTrek wrote:My ride report and some epic photos credit to the beauty of Scotland rather than my camera skills: http://socialkamel.tumblr.com/post/1457 ... l-550-2016
Great read, more like the kind of attempt I would make rather than the hardcore racers!
Ian

Post by Ian »

whitestone wrote:Nice read Ian but I think you got this the wrong way round - "this hill is like a transition between the wilderness of the north, and the beginnings of civilisation to the south." :wink: .
I think I'm right; I'm heading south, Glen Affric and all that went before it is behind me (north), and Fort Augustus (the civilisation bit) is in front (south).
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Sorry, was being a bit too subtle again. From your (and others) account it appears you found more civilisation to the north.
Ian

Post by Ian »

It was more a reference of where the powerlines lead you. They kind of suddenly appear, like a mark of modern mans impression on the hillside. Everything else had a much wilder and less developed feel.
KamelTrek

Post by KamelTrek »

whitestone wrote:Sorry, was being a bit too subtle again. From your (and others) account it appears you found more civilisation to the north.
I found myself to the north and the world that is sweeping me along to the south.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

KamelTrek wrote:My ride report and some epic photos credit to the beauty of Scotland rather than my camera skills: http://socialkamel.tumblr.com/post/1457 ... l-550-2016
Ian wrote:Here we go, the final chapter is written and now live. Including an epilogue, which sums up my thoughts and feelings on the Highland Trail.

https://ianbarrington.com/2016/06/12/a- ... l-chapter/
Excellent write-ups. Thanks both. :)

Still not convinced I'm hard enough to do this, but I'd definitely like to try at some point.
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Nice write up Ian, enjoyed that :-bd .