2016 Highland Trail (group start)

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Richard G

Re: 2016 Highland Trail (group start)

Post by Richard G »

GregMay wrote:Joint third:

Thanks to Beth from Wildcat for the image.
vaguely exciting pic.
ton

Post by ton »

fantastic photo..............that is what I was talking about. :cool:
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

There's something wrong ... what are those black things beneath their bikes? :lol:

When we were there last summer there was a river running down that lane :|
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

I had a dusty moment.

Myself, Arno (German) and Tom (Belgian) finished together in a similar manner in 2013. I remember about 10km out - Arno, who was SS, said "I won't race you two, I don't feel I should" - I promptly told him I'd wait for him if he stopped - Tom said he wanted company. No more was said.
A few Km before the end we were on a HAB section and stopped, had a chat then rolled in the last 2km without talking, I was having a bit of a cry as my bits were in severe pain, and that was it.
One of my favourite finishes to a race I've ever had and I can only imagine what the three of them went through. Well done, really well done.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'm made up for 'em. I can just imagine the rush of emotion and jumble of feelings in Beth's picture.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Trail-rat

Post by Trail-rat »

fraser hitting the devils staircase now.
atk

Post by atk »

Another good photo from Beth

Zippy

Post by Zippy »

I wonder if anyone else will finish today. Image
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Looking at the current positions I'd like to think some more will get home today, maybe even Ian? If he does and those in front of him that would be another 7 finishers :grin:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Richard G wrote:

vaguely exciting pic.
Looks like Ian pipped third with his front wheel :wink:
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Thanks for the encouragement, I wasn't looking at the thread until just now but having being hooked on the last few years I could imagine it!

I haven't quite put the last few days in to perspective yet, but its been massive for me and probably the first time I've really applied myself on a bike. It went well and nearly worked perfectly...

I met (the vaguely exciting) Lee at 5am this morning after one hours sleep, after two 21 hours days on the bike. I was in a tangle and riding, and chatting/bantering with her brought me back from the brink of a dark, dark place. We very quickly realised that we'd be riding back to tyndrum together. javi caught us and was of the same mindset. A great days riding :-bd
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

voodoo_simon wrote:
Richard G wrote:

vaguely exciting pic.
Looks like Ian pipped third with his front wheel :wink:
A bit embarrassing actually as moments before I'd been taking the piss out of Lee for half wheeling us into the finish!
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Well done fella :grin:
May the bridges you burn light your way
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Question on this sort of thing...

...I guess it's pretty damn important to be able to get your sleeping kit out as fast as possible and packed up as fast as possible too. Is that something you multi day people practice?

I notice Ian B was tweeting / posting on here whilst eating too. I'm guessing that's probably not too bad an idea as it stops you absolutely cramming down your food.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Richard G wrote:Question on this sort of thing...

...I guess it's pretty damn important to be able to get your sleeping kit out as fast as possible and packed up as fast as possible too. Is that something you multi day people practice?

I notice Ian B was tweeting / posting on here whilst eating too. I'm guessing that's probably not too bad an idea as it stops you absolutely cramming down your food.
I'll field this in one angle:
Pedalling faster is of more benefit - as in being trained and as light+strong physically as you need to be for a route. Sure, if you can get your bivi out and up in 3.2mins and be in it that's great - but if you're not fit enough to pedal your obese wobbling body up a 2% gradient...it sort of detracts from the point of a fast sleep system when you're planning to race a very long, and often quite steep course.

(words from someone who constantly thinks he's overweight since he was aged 13 BTW - swimming for 10 years is not great for your mental self image :/)
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:Well done fella :grin:
+1 a million, great ride!
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
jameso

Post by jameso »

Brilliant ride Ian! Well done, seemed like you judged it all very well though I've no idea if it was judgement or pulling more than you thought you could, or both, etc.. I spent too much time today trying to get sneaky looks at trackleaders on the phone during meetings : )
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Reckon AlanG is going to pull a stormer up the final HAB section?
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

sean_iow wrote:Did anyone clarify the loch crossing rules? Lee seemed to cut this out without first going down to the loch to check the conditions and then back tracking? But Huw appeared to do the same on his ITT so is this now accepted as ok? In past years didn't people have to go to the crossing point and if they were not happy with the conditions they could cross upstream provided they then went back to where they would of come ashore it they'd crossed in the correct place.
I thought this had previously been done to death and that the only bit of the track you could miss out was the bit in the water. That would mean riding to the crossing point, going up- or downstream to cross, then going back to the crossing point and recommencing the ride.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

GregMay wrote:I'll field this in one angle:
Pedalling faster is of more benefit - as in being trained and as light+strong physically as you need to be for a route. Sure, if you can get your bivi out and up in 3.2mins and be in it that's great - but if you're not fit enough to pedal your obese wobbling body up a 2% gradient...it sort of detracts from the point of a fast sleep system when you're planning to race a very long, and often quite steep course.

(words from someone who constantly thinks he's overweight since he was aged 13 BTW - swimming for 10 years is not great for your mental self image :/)
Oh sure, I get that... but as someone who has literally taken as long as an hour and a half to get everything packed up when groggy after f'all sleep, I wonder if being supremely fit is enough. :grin:
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Richard G wrote:

Oh sure, I get that... but as someone who has literally taken as long as an hour and a half to get everything packed up when groggy after f'all sleep, I wonder if being supremely fit is enough. :grin:
Then just hurry the f'up!

Seriously, it doesn't take much, just be clinical about doing it.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Richard G wrote:

To give a mere mortal's perspective Richard. When I raced last year it was definitely more than fitness, the others around me were better organised and able to go without as much sleep. Each day I rode about the same speed as the pack I was in overall but was badly organised at the start, when stopping and at the end of the day. It convinced me that fitness is nowhere near enough. Mental aptitude under fatigue and also organisation saves minutes each day which can add up to hours. I know I would never be at the front of a race like this no matter how fit I was.
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Richard G wrote:

Way off topic but I'm watching Kapp to Cape, a chap is cycling from Norway to Cape Town. He has spent up to 90 mins a day on decamping, so is having to cycle in the night to keep up his daily speed! He hoping to do the ride in 100 days, so he'll have spent over 6 days decamping :shock:

Back on topic, great effort Ian, well done :-bd
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Didn't they stop decamping people years ago? Something about the ethics of it?

I'll get my coat....
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Dave Barter wrote:To give a mere mortal's perspective Richard. When I raced last year it was definitely more than fitness, the others around me were better organised and able to go without as much sleep. Each day I rode about the same speed as the pack I was in overall but was badly organised at the start, when stopping and at the end of the day. It convinced me that fitness is nowhere near enough. Mental aptitude under fatigue and also organisation saves minutes each day which can add up to hours. I know I would never be at the front of a race like this no matter how fit I was.
Yeah, I get the feeling it's probably one of the harder bits to train. Maybe the key is having the wife drag me into the garden when I'm not expecting it and leaving me out there to pack up, barely knowing where the hell I am or what I'm doing. :lol: