Yay, it's cheery Friday.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

Re: Yay, it's cheery Friday.

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Have fun V, I love the mountains of southern France I do. :-bd

Me, I've just carved up a top yoke (nowt to do with eggs) so it now looks a bit nicer and gives me room to mount gauges.

On Sun, we shall be up dark and early for a trip to the Lakes, where we will scatter two lots of ashes somewhere overlooking Striding Edge. May not sound cheery but it does see the last wishes of someone duly carried out.

Otherwise not much but it's not (yet) raining. :-bd
May the bridges you burn light your way
slarge

Post by slarge »

Off to Yorkshire Moors later with the road club to have 2 days of quality riding, pubs, tea shops and banter.

(Selfishly) - Hopefully the Queen's passing (RIP) won't have an impact on Yorkshire tea rooms.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Looks like BBC2 has a new series of Mortimer and Whitehouse Gone Fishing on tonight. Lovely.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

A start of 3.30am, a climb up Helvellyn to scatter ashes and home by 8.30pm (they shut the M6) ... job done. Yes, I was enjoying myself contrary to how it appears.

Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Kind of a non-cheery cheery day as in nothing exciting. However, here's a short clip someone sent me of The Towers from above. I wondered what the annoying buzzing was the other day :wink:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1JT5LapJCw
FLV

Post by FLV »

What a place to live (and work) mate.

It may not be true, but if lived somewhere like that, it is possible I would not leave my property again :grin:

Cheery Friday, not massively, not a lot going on here either. Work, but a decent bike ride lined up for tomorrow so thats something to look forward to :-bd
psling

Post by psling »

Not so cheery today. Had the week off work with lots of rides and walks planned, fell ill and have done nothing. Then to cap it all an old friend and house mate has died while on a charity walk in Peru. Same age as me; I 'm feeling my age and feeling sorry for myself, he's fit as f*#+ and gone....
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

psling wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 9:50 am Not so cheery today. Had the week off work with lots of rides and walks planned, fell ill and have done nothing. Then to cap it all an old friend and house mate has died while on a charity walk in Peru. Same age as me; I 'm feeling my age and feeling sorry for myself, he's fit as f*#+ and gone....
Really sorry to hear that Pete. It's no consolation but he was out there doing something he clearly loved.
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

psling wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 9:50 amThen to cap it all an old friend and house mate has died while on a charity walk in Peru.
Eddie?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

It may not be true, but if lived somewhere like that, it is possible I would not leave my property again
Dee enjoys taunting me with the line from Copperhead Road ... "he only goes to town about twice a year" :wink:

Always sad Peter and obviously tends to bring our own mortality into view but as Dave says, he was doing something he loved and wasn't sat staring at a telly in a care home.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Nice gaff Stu, and scope for a cheeky bivvy in the bothy next door :grin:
Sorry to hear that too Pete. I know that losing friends who are fit and healthy, well before their time is particularly hard to deal with. If only we could all be hale and hearty until our 4 score years and ten are up!
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

To cheer the thread up a bit. My rucksack is packed and on Sunday I'm off for a week in the Highlands self supported backpacking. I am heading out early on Monday from Dunoon to escape the pageantry and commune with the hills. Helen's coming up at the end of the week and we're then off to Mull for more walking. I cannot wait to be out there!
Boab

Post by Boab »

Cheery - haven't had any pain killers for over thirty six hours, might finally be getting over the injuries sustained in that crash the other week.
Not so cheery - seriously considering having to duck out of Octobers BB200; pretty much two months off the bike with the holiday, illness and then this crash.
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
psling

Post by psling »

Bearlegged wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 10:04 am Eddie?
Yes.

Enjoy your time in the mountains and glens Dave, it always amazes me how much you absorb from your surroundings when passing through at walking pace. Remember, look after your feet and they'll look after you... :grin: :wink:
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Dave Barter wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 10:50 am To cheer the thread up a bit. My rucksack is packed and on Sunday I'm off for a week in the Highlands
On no, Mike and Andy are up there and they were hoping it wouldn't rain :wink:

Cheery here as the Boss is out for the rest of the day and said I can finish early if I want as it's a long weekend :grin:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

scope for a cheeky bivvy in the bothy next door
The end part fell down a couple of weeks ago, so hard hat very much recommended :wink:
seriously considering having to duck out of Octobers BB200; pretty much two months off the bike with the holiday, illness and then this crash.
I can swap you over to November if you like Bob. We all know the weathers much better in November.

Enjoy yourself Dave :-bd
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Cheery Update ... I've just fitted the engine to project 'Time-Bomb'. That means two things 1/ my back must be much better than it was earlier in the week and 2/ we now have something which looks like an actual bike and can hold itself together without gaffa tape and card :-bd
Boab

Post by Boab »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 11:20 am
scope for a cheeky bivvy in the bothy next door
The end part fell down a couple of weeks ago, so hard hat very much recommended :wink:
Pretty sure you could turn it into some bikepacking bunkhouse nirvana...
Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 11:20 am
seriously considering having to duck out of Octobers BB200; pretty much two months off the bike with the holiday, illness and then this crash.
I can swap you over to November if you like Bob. We all know the weathers much better in November.
Was going to attempt o ride a bike this weekend and see how I got on, then make a decision. Don't want to do it in November, but don't want to aggravate any injuries that haven't quite settled for long enough. Will let you know...
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Well, how your day can change at the drop of a hat. I had a call at 12 to say my mum is in hospital undergoing emergency surgery. Now waiting for another phone call.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 3:54 pm Well, how your day can change at the drop of a hat. I had a call at 12 to say my mum is in hospital undergoing emergency surgery. Now waiting for another phone call.
Thinking of you all Stu
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

All the best to your Mum Stu, hope everything works out OK.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Eek! Hope it works out all OK
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
psling

Post by psling »

Hoping the next phone call is a positive one Stu. Thoughts with you bud.
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Condolences Pete, and fingers crossed for your mum, Stu.

In a cheery vein, I'm enjoying NBD, thanks to FLV. I now need to start planning some Brompton tours.
Boab

Post by Boab »

Seems to be a day for it, got a message on the family Signal group, one of our nieces has been in hospital for the last two days with meningitis... Love and hugs to everyone.